A Royal Affair - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Royal Affair Reviews

August 17, 2017
With powerful performances from Mikkelson, Vikander and Folsgaard, 'A Royal Affair' is an engrossing period drama that tells the true story of an important part of Danish history and the people involved in shaping the country's future. Full of romance, treachery, heartbreak and ideology, as well as beautifully rich set and costume design, the film manages to be engaging throughout, despite its somewhat slow pace and a running time of over 2 hours.
January 18, 2017
Amazing actings, great cinematography and outstanding in technical aspects, all in hand with a great script and even better real story.
½ December 25, 2016
Not generally my kind of movie but enjoyable
December 3, 2016
Heartbreaking, beautiful, well acted! Mads Mikkelsen!
½ December 1, 2016
These Danes can really do drama. This is on a par with BBC historical dramas, and has many familiar faces seen in other Danish movies. The story pulls no punches either: this is the second half of the Eighteenth Century, and the Age of Enlightenment is sweeping away the Ancien Regime.

In Denmark the process was premature and abortive in this tale, and the central characters came to a sticky end. Absorbing and well produced, the human drama and the historical process are interwoven and convincing.
November 12, 2016
Fabulous historical piece with relevance to modern times.
October 4, 2016
A well played out period movie. The script seems familiar but without the happy ending.
September 7, 2016
Great movie! If it wasn't based on a true story I wouldn't have liked it as much but overall I thought it was great. I found myself forgetting it wasn't in English.
August 25, 2016
8.3/10
Very good period movie with excellent performances, and Alicia Vikander that is always outstanding.
~August 25, 2016~
½ April 24, 2016
Gorgeous period piece with great performances from everyone in the cast. I was unaware of this part of Europe's history and how important it was in Denmark's enlightenment.
½ April 22, 2016
"A Royal Affair" is an excellent period piece.
March 5, 2016
Strong european movie with wonderful cast and cinematography and, of course, riveting story about medieval Denmark.
½ February 20, 2016
This is a classical tragedy loosely based on history, but not sufficiently to be a documentary. It is difficult to understand in the 2 native languages and tiring to read in English for no apparent reason or positive effect. The critic rating is understandable, but the audience rating is not.
December 22, 2015
Slow, but a good story. Historically accurate more or less. Well acted for the most part.
December 9, 2015
A wonderful story of Denmark's history I did not know. And Mads Mickelson does any fantastic job in this film. How he changed the world and how much it cost him.
November 20, 2015
Wow, nothing beats a good true story well told. Fabulous acting, the era recreated perfectly. This film is a perfect jewel reminiscent of the war in the stars. You know, with the force. Or was it part of its inspiration? This historical account for fewer death than your usual european revolution, counter-revolution and coups d'états. It comes out as more intelligent and as compelling as any other. It is full of humour, drama and mostly, ironies. The end is brushed quickly after the queen demise. I could have sit through more of this little marvel.
November 20, 2015
October 25, 2015
One of those movies that makes you hate people for being behind the times and awful. Good acting though.
October 8, 2015
A riveting drama with the exceptional Mads Mikkelsen as Dr. Johann Friedrich Struensee and a very solid supporting cast. Mikkel Boe Følsgaard's portrayal of the unhinged King was particularly good. As I usually do, I looked at the known history of that era and it very closely follows the true story. With a tightly written script that quickly develops the characters, drawing the viewers along towards empathy with the lead cast, I highly recommend this film.