A Royal Affair - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Royal Affair Reviews

½ November 22, 2017
A beautiful film, A Royal Affair is one of the best foreign language films I've seen! Alicia VIkander is a true star!
½ October 16, 2017
Not what I thought it would be.
October 12, 2017
It is a must see movie.
½ September 29, 2017
Extremely well done historical film with a powerful screen play, great acting (Felsgaard was the best), and great art direction as to scene setting and gorgeous costumes! I love a good historical flick and I had read two books about the subject of this one. An excellent historical with a fascinating (and true) story to tell and they do it beautifully!
August 17, 2017
With powerful performances from Mikkelson, Vikander and Folsgaard, 'A Royal Affair' is an engrossing period drama that tells the true story of an important part of Danish history and the people involved in shaping the country's future. Full of romance, treachery, heartbreak and ideology, as well as beautifully rich set and costume design, the film manages to be engaging throughout, despite its somewhat slow pace and a running time of over 2 hours.
January 18, 2017
Amazing actings, great cinematography and outstanding in technical aspects, all in hand with a great script and even better real story.
½ December 25, 2016
Not generally my kind of movie but enjoyable
December 3, 2016
Heartbreaking, beautiful, well acted! Mads Mikkelsen!
½ December 1, 2016
These Danes can really do drama. This is on a par with BBC historical dramas, and has many familiar faces seen in other Danish movies. The story pulls no punches either: this is the second half of the Eighteenth Century, and the Age of Enlightenment is sweeping away the Ancien Regime.

In Denmark the process was premature and abortive in this tale, and the central characters came to a sticky end. Absorbing and well produced, the human drama and the historical process are interwoven and convincing.
November 12, 2016
Fabulous historical piece with relevance to modern times.
October 4, 2016
A well played out period movie. The script seems familiar but without the happy ending.
September 7, 2016
Great movie! If it wasn't based on a true story I wouldn't have liked it as much but overall I thought it was great. I found myself forgetting it wasn't in English.
August 25, 2016
8.3/10
Very good period movie with excellent performances, and Alicia Vikander that is always outstanding.
~August 25, 2016~
½ April 24, 2016
Gorgeous period piece with great performances from everyone in the cast. I was unaware of this part of Europe's history and how important it was in Denmark's enlightenment.
½ April 22, 2016
"A Royal Affair" is an excellent period piece.
March 5, 2016
Strong european movie with wonderful cast and cinematography and, of course, riveting story about medieval Denmark.
½ February 20, 2016
This is a classical tragedy loosely based on history, but not sufficiently to be a documentary. It is difficult to understand in the 2 native languages and tiring to read in English for no apparent reason or positive effect. The critic rating is understandable, but the audience rating is not.
December 22, 2015
Slow, but a good story. Historically accurate more or less. Well acted for the most part.
December 9, 2015
A wonderful story of Denmark's history I did not know. And Mads Mickelson does any fantastic job in this film. How he changed the world and how much it cost him.