A Royal Affair - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Royal Affair Reviews

October 4, 2016
A well played out period movie. The script seems familiar but without the happy ending.
September 7, 2016
Great movie! If it wasn't based on a true story I wouldn't have liked it as much but overall I thought it was great. I found myself forgetting it wasn't in English.
August 25, 2016
Very good period movie with excellent performances, and Alicia Vikander that is always outstanding.
~August 25, 2016~
½ April 24, 2016
Gorgeous period piece with great performances from everyone in the cast. I was unaware of this part of Europe's history and how important it was in Denmark's enlightenment.
½ April 22, 2016
"A Royal Affair" is an excellent period piece.
March 5, 2016
Strong european movie with wonderful cast and cinematography and, of course, riveting story about medieval Denmark.
½ February 20, 2016
This is a classical tragedy loosely based on history, but not sufficiently to be a documentary. It is difficult to understand in the 2 native languages and tiring to read in English for no apparent reason or positive effect. The critic rating is understandable, but the audience rating is not.
December 22, 2015
Slow, but a good story. Historically accurate more or less. Well acted for the most part.
December 9, 2015
A wonderful story of Denmark's history I did not know. And Mads Mickelson does any fantastic job in this film. How he changed the world and how much it cost him.
November 20, 2015
Wow, nothing beats a good true story well told. Fabulous acting, the era recreated perfectly. This film is a perfect jewel reminiscent of the war in the stars. You know, with the force. Or was it part of its inspiration? This historical account for fewer death than your usual european revolution, counter-revolution and coups d'états. It comes out as more intelligent and as compelling as any other. It is full of humour, drama and mostly, ironies. The end is brushed quickly after the queen demise. I could have sit through more of this little marvel.
October 25, 2015
One of those movies that makes you hate people for being behind the times and awful. Good acting though.
October 8, 2015
A riveting drama with the exceptional Mads Mikkelsen as Dr. Johann Friedrich Struensee and a very solid supporting cast. Mikkel Boe Følsgaard's portrayal of the unhinged King was particularly good. As I usually do, I looked at the known history of that era and it very closely follows the true story. With a tightly written script that quickly develops the characters, drawing the viewers along towards empathy with the lead cast, I highly recommend this film.
August 22, 2015
Once again another great period piece about an exciting time in Europe-the revolutionary late 18th century. Set unusually in Denmark tells the tale of how Denmark changed to become less feudalistic and less run by nobility and church. One of the most incredible stories of that time considering how radical it was then. It also is a romance because the queen hates her dreadful immature and sick husband the king. Instead she falls for his closest confidant-his personal intellectual doctor. Ensues betrayal both in court and in the bedroom. Sad how it all turned out with the public betraying them who they were trying to help. they had such good intentions, but perhaps they were too early/too progressive with a weak king backing them. Great costumes, acting-the doctor particularly, great dialogue etc... Never the less I did feel like it played it a little safe for such a powerful tale and formulaic and could've been bigger. However still a wonderful look at exciting history and a good love story. Kharma In the end to those wretched court people.
August 9, 2015
Great movie, I love that period... Kings, betrayal and shit.
July 29, 2015
Exceptional acting and engrossing plot.
July 4, 2015
A fascinating little known history.
A film about the pursuit of freedom that haunts me for days.
June 3, 2015
While of course a predictable story (after all, this is based in history), the acting and and details make it very compelling -- especially the king is very good.
June 2, 2015
Mads Mikkelsen, Alicia Vikander, and Mikkel B. Følsgaard shine in this enthralling tale.
May 15, 2015
Aside from the beautiful craftmanship we've come to associate from good period pieces, this danish film excels thanks to wonderful performances from the entire ensemble (especially the leads) and a fascinating story at the centre. It manages to juggle the personal aspects as well as the socio-political dimension fantastically.