Event Horizon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Event Horizon Reviews

April 29, 2017
A great sci-fi horror flick (essentially a haunted house movie in space with a little bit of Hellraiser) that was sadly under-appreciated when it first came out.

Paul W.S. Anderson (in a rare moment of creative inspiration) does a great job of keeping up a great tense atmosphere and the practical effects are superb (although instances of CGI in the movie are one of the few weak points). There are plenty of great tense sequences, effective jump scares, and absolutely messed-up imagery.

The acting isn't too bad either, actually the quality of the acting goes a long way in selling the plot. Sam Niell and Laurence Fishburne really shine in this but the rest of the supporting cast are solid too, especially Sean Pertwee.

If you love sci-fi and horror, then check it out!
April 26, 2017
Cool looking space movie
April 24, 2017
Disappointing. Should have been a great film. Instead we get "haunted house in space part VIII" -- BOO! Scared ya! This isn't filmmaking. It's a waste of time.
March 25, 2017
too bad we will never see the full directors cut.
March 1, 2017
Predictable, cheesy and a lackluster ending, but it's still fun Sci-fi B-Movie schlock. There's actually some cool designs, and potential for real scares here.
February 21, 2017
Event Horizon was a pretty good movie. Its a science fiction horror movie that follows a crew that goes in search for a ship called Event Horizon which had been missing for 7 years but has recently turned up. The film has a pretty intriguing story. All tho there are a few horror cliches in here it really isn't scary but rather more of a disturbing kind of movie. The design of the ship as well as its interior is superb as well as the feel of the movie is really good. Overall its a pretty entertaining movie with disturbing parts in it that has really great looking sci fi look to it.

Edit: Ignore everything I said above. I revisited this movie and it's dog shit. I must have been on something to have given it that generous score of 3. It's more of a 1/5 or 1/2 / 5.
½ February 7, 2017
Yes it isn't all that original, yes the plot and the script are hurried along and yes it does have its cliches but there are things I do like about this film that outweigh those flaws. I think the production (especially the design of Event Horizon) is great, I love the heavy use of practical effects which are mixed with CGI (which has unfortunately not completely aged well), the cast is solid, I like the score and the gory and violent imagery is truly memorable and quite haunting. So no this isn't the perfect horror/sci-fi film but it could be a whole lot worse just wish I could see the longer cut that was sadly scrapped.
December 23, 2016
'Hellraiser In Space'. An underrated gem of a horror movie that's never really all that good, but is constantly terrifying and soaked in blood. For gore hounds only!
½ November 30, 2016
Entertaining enough, but lacking any real substance, Deep Horizon falls closer to the guilty pleasure category. The film wears its influences on its sleeves invoking Alien and 2001 before devolving into a strange Hellraiser fanfic. At the least, the actors are putting in fully committed performances, and the visuals are still pretty decent considering the film is 20 years old. 3 1/2 stars
November 29, 2016
Terribly underrated sci-Fi movie that's definitely worth 90 minutes of your life. Great cast and some gory action.
November 28, 2016
A lousy and unimaginative mix of Solaris, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Alien, The Shining, Hellraiser and more - and if being a ragbag like this doesn't give you an idea of the disaster that could only come from it, the cheap, loud scares and Anderson's awful direction are definite proof.
½ November 19, 2016
Admittedly, the special effects are a bit of a nightmare when watching this again after 20 years. The story is still very interesting and the missing eyeballs is always going to freak me out, no matter how bad the CGI is. (Maybe the old school CGI makes the eye scenes scarier...?) That ending still has be questioning if the remaining crew is actually safe.
November 18, 2016
Lots of potential. Cliched. Entertaining. Suspenseful.
November 2, 2016
Ok so this in my opinion is a movie with amazong atmosphere but terrible acting and special effects. Sam neil in this movie was absolutely terrible and the character Cooper is even worse. That being said this is one movie that had a extreme amount of potential but didn't pull through. If you research some things about this movie the director was extreamly rushed and that could be a leading factor in the acting and special effects. This movie provided a good little scare but had some laughable acting in it too. ALL in all I think this movie didn't deserva a low 24% but I think it isn't anything really special though. Another point I would like to add is some people say its a gore fest, but really compared to tarentino movies or just even some R rated films like this its pretty toned down. But it still has a lot of gore
October 31, 2016
You'll be on your phone so much they should call it Event VERIZON.
October 29, 2016
Event Horizon starts out promising with a reasonably believable atmosphere and some cool visuals but slowly descends into lackluster, confused, and muddled schlock that serves as decent entertainment, but nothing rewarding in any way.
October 20, 2016
So much potential for a sci-fi-horror mashup, that builds up well, and by mid-way, you are captivated by what could happen next. Until, the movie does a 180, and goes to shit... as if another director took over completely, and ruined the entire movie. So much potential, with a shit final act.
October 9, 2016
I thought it was incredibly suspenseful and pretty scary. Very creepy atmosphere leading into some real f****d up s**t. So what if it mashes together concepts from other movies? It does so successfully. Also strangely thought provoking in a cosmic horror vein.

This is definitely more about utter madness/despair/psychological horror than, say, aliens, which I enjoyed because that's my thing. But if you're looking for something straightforward with scary space monsters, look elsewhere. Still has a good amount of violence and gore though.
October 8, 2016
A like it, or hate it kind of movie. Even though some things don't work with the tone the movie is going for, I still think it's a pretty eerie psychological horror sci-fi movie.