Factory Girl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Factory Girl Reviews

½ July 16, 2016
It's flaws are many and obvious, but the performances of Sienna Miller and Guy Pierce are so good! But where was her leopard skin pillbox hat?
June 18, 2016
Perhaps to mimic Andy Warhol's awkward filmmaking, this supposedly biographical picture is very short of the brilliance to match the compelling performances from Guy Pearce and Sienna Miller who play respectively Andy Warhol and his muse, Edie Sedgwick.
August 11, 2014
I've heard about this girl and her relationship with Warhol. Sounds quite intriguing... despite the unfortunate appearance of Jimmy Fallon, who should have stuck with SNL and should never be allowed near another movie ever again.
May 18, 2014
Found this really boring. Not my type of movie at all.
½ March 16, 2014
I never believed that Sienna Miller was a "real" actress but she actually managed quite well in Factory Girl. I am not sure if it is because she can act or just because - having been an IT girl herself - she identified with Edie Sedgwick, the IT girl of the 60s. Whichever way, it worked out.
Based on the real story of Sedgwick, we follow her from her art studies to the world of the Factory, where an exploitative Warhol is ready to take advantage of her beauty and connections to get a hold to the upper class of New York. It is not clear what Edie's talent was, as she was a mediocre actress and modelled very little, but talent was not a requirement for Warhol's superstars.
Warhol was a complex figure, perhaps a great artist or just an able manipulator, but his unpleasant nature is no secret. He had an adoring gang of "superstars" and would be artists, working for him in the Factory (probably the most pretentious art lab of the time). In the movie we see how he liked to pick the next "superstar", to replace the previous one he grew bored with. The script suggests Sedgwick was replaced by Nico (who undoubtedly was a more complex and interesting woman).
More controversy is added by the mystery love story with Dylan (which might or not have happened, but is denied by Dylan). According to the script, Edie interest (even love?) for Dylan was another reason why the jealous Warhol dropped her. Not being able to have her undivided attention, not her money - since her father cut her of her inheritance - Edie was dropped by Warhol to deal alone with her addictions.
Luckily the script does not even try to make the audience feel sorry for poor little rich girl Edie. Coming for old money, she had a difficult relationship with her father and tragedy struck early in her life with the suicide of her brother. However, her problems were compounded by her self-destructive nature and her Factory experience contributed only to send her down faster, where she probably would have ended anyway.
½ March 9, 2014
It's a bit of a mess, but entertaining enough. Sienna Miller is the best thing about the film, but her portrayal of Edie misses her ethereal vulnerability. It's sad, but interesting. Guy Pierce's Andy Warhol is a bit too much of a cartoon, and the less said about Hayden Christensen's Bob-Not-Bob Dylan the better. Nothing special and the screenplay is pretty hokey.
½ March 4, 2014
While Sienna Miller gives a solid performance it doesn't make up for the films many faults
December 26, 2013
I so want to see this.
½ November 25, 2013
Factory Girl is a decent film on the life of Edie Sedgwick and her work with Andy Warhol. The film should have been better considering the subject, but for what it is, it's a watchable film, but it's a film that should have been much better than what it ended up being. Guy Pearce is quite good in his performance of Andy Warhol, and his chemistry with actress Sienna Miller is really what makes this film watchable. The film should have been better, but as it is, it's n underdeveloped picture that doesn't realize its potential. Luckily, the two lead actors are great, and they make up for the lacking story. If the film was longer and the script would have been better, then Factory Girl would have been a standout film, but as it is, it's an inaccurate portrait of the two, and it doesn't tell the real story. I somewhat liked the film, but it's not a film that I would rewatch again. Factory Girl is simply a decent film that has too many imperfections for me to recommend it. Guy Pearce is very good here, but it's not one of his standout performances. Factory Girl deserved to be better, and it should have been more accurate than what the film turned out to be. I feel that the filmmakers rushed the film and they didn't give the story its just do. Luckily Sienna Miller and Guy Pearce keep you involved from start to finish. This film is just one of those movies that starts off with a promising start, but can't conclude in a satisfying way, and you are left wanting more out of the film, especially considering that Sedgwick was an influential actress in many of Warhol's shorts.
½ July 15, 2013
Necessarily more or less plotless because of the non-fictional, biographical nature of the film, this is still a good movie, made so mostly by the excellent performances of Sienna Miller as Edie Sedgwick, a 1960s New York icon who modelled, acted, and used a lot of drugs, and Guy Pearce as Andy Warhol, the artist and filmmaker who featured Sedgwick in a lot of his films. It's a fun portrait of the time and the people and Pearce's impersonation of Warhol is both uncanny mimicry and a well thought-out statement about what Warhol was all about.
½ June 12, 2013
when first watching this film i knew no real information on Edie, the film highlights the glamorization of drugs, and how it can ultimately destroy you. Andy warehole has always been someone of interest to me and to see into this world thorough the film was a exhilarating. there was drugs and romance. although once i had watched it i continued to do some research into her finding many flaws in the film. however the acting was very strong, and although it was not a true portrayal, if like me other viewers may have continued to look into this tragic story line for themselves also.
April 9, 2013
'Mise-en-scene' - haunting yet feels empty somehow
March 31, 2013
i think i'll love it
March 10, 2013
maybe only becuase ji,,y fallon is n it
February 1, 2013
I liked it. (straight to the point)
January 31, 2013
jak to si? sta?o, ?e przeoczy?em ten film?? super
January 16, 2013
The cast was incredible, the acting was superb. Though I have never really been interested in the lives of these people or even heard of some of these people, I felt like this movie made me understand them and compelled me to read more about them and that time and era.

For those that like biographical drama's, this is a strong movie.
December 17, 2012
Very artsy. For never hearing of this movie ... this movie isn't bad. Sienna Miller played the part Vry well!
December 5, 2012
christensen got dylan down pat...
½ November 19, 2012
I'm surprised by this film's average rating, honestly, because I don't think it was that bad. I haven't seen that many Sienna Miller movies, I'll admit, but her performance as the tragically beautiful Edie Sedgwick was stunning. Hayden Chistensen's Bob Dylan-inspired character was the highlight of the film for me. He gave the film the much needed pivotal point where Edie saw what was really happening. There were some noticeable scenes that looked far too set-up to evoke any realness and I felt the Factory's atmosphere was kind of static. I disagree with the general consensus that Factory Girl "fails to tell a coherent story", we see Edie fall from the top of the world to the lowest of pathetic lows and it was resolved well. I was genuinely moved by the story and loved the 60's icons from Dylan to Reed. I'm off to listen to some Blonde on Blonde.