Family Business Reviews

• Feb 08, 2018

Painfully unfunny and a cast that is completely wasted. A really difficult watch. A caper comedy that gets the tone all wrong.

• Oct 16, 2017

The flaws actually make this film better, that's the catch and what distracts the viewer from they're really watching. This is one of those "actors movies", but everything ties together almost too well.

• Oct 30, 2016

Charming and fascinating. The casting is very much deliberate, and it's moronic of "critics" to get hung up on it. The film has everything to do with culture and race in America, with political correctness, with pretension, with class, with particularly the shortcomings of the American middle class, with the freedom that comes with a state of mind that says all pretensions are bullshit, and Connery is the exemplar of the position. Extremely well detailed film as well. Hilarious to read Canby who had to churn them out in the NYT dismiss the details as empty space, he simply misses the point. ("film criticism" is seriously the lowest form of any type of lit. incidentally). This film also has an ethical centerpiece that's fought out and lingered over, like many crime stories and crime movies too, it has the criminals of old full of charm and charisma and real life humanity while the supposedly ethical modern world is so bleak and bloodless. Overall this is a charming film, full of surprises which one should take in and realize the intentionality of, rather than suppose, as Canby does, that the expert director lost his game and fumbled around. in short Camby's sort of a dumbbell and a jackass. This is a significant film.

• Apr 18, 2015

Funny with moments of tense family drama this showcases Connery and he eats up every scene he's in.

• Jun 30, 2014

I bit silly but it's an 80s job so i ended up watching it

I bit silly but it's an 80s job so i ended up watching it

• Jan 29, 2014

good action dram-com

good action dram-com

• May 11, 2013

I wanted to like this movie. However, it comes up a little short.

I wanted to like this movie. However, it comes up a little short.

• Feb 19, 2013

Grows on you like a semi-friendly familiar fungus, but in a good way sorta. I like it but I'd lose any argument as to why I should.

• Jan 31, 2013

Good cast, but not the most exciting heist story.

Good cast, but not the most exciting heist story.

• Jan 24, 2013

Has humor, but surprisingly more serious (like a drama) than expected. Not a dumb comedy at all, but instead centers on family ties.