Gamer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gamer Reviews

August 6, 2017
As random and crazy as I thought it would be. Interesting concept and done with the frantic style that I've come to expect from the guys that brought us 'Crank'.
Likable and loathable characters aplenty and loads of great action scenes make this an enjoyable film...something with which to put your mind aside and indulge. Butler makes a good hero while Michael C Hall has a great time hamming up the villian. Maybe it's the gamer (sorry..) in me but I really just wanted to have a go...
½ June 15, 2017
Kinda like an updated Running Man, with great stunts, action, and SFX telling a story that should make any modern internet user at least a little squirmy. The kind of sci-fi that uses fantastical storytelling to force one to re-examine their own reality.
September 9, 2016
very action packed, but very very strange at some points, it was a lot like "death race" but actually somewhat better.
½ August 7, 2016
1 1/2 out of 5 Music video disguised as action flick edited by a Parkinson's patient. A spastic cross between The Running Man and Surrogates, it's all cheasy, crappy style and absolutely no substance.
½ June 25, 2016
one of the most accurate-feeling dystopian stories i've come across. an entertaining action flick.
½ May 2, 2016
Butler cashes out in this film made for gamers who foamed over 300.
April 14, 2016
I really dug this flick. I enjoy the frenetic editing and stylized shooting style employed by Neveldine/Taylor, and I was rather amused by the over stimulated future world they portrayed here if only because we feel like we're well on our way there already. Plus it's funny to see Michael C. Hall doing the corn-pone campy shit, mugging for the camera and obviously having a helluva lot of fun in his role.

This is a fun film, and if you liked Crank, you'll really enjoy this.

Give this one a rental at the very least.
jamrcla
March 26, 2016
A little different than I expected, But the film has its good parts, (Mainly its action) and its bad parts too, I wanted a little more from the film as it got a little disappointing at the end.
January 21, 2016
Gerard Butler is awesome in this one. It takes a look at society for exactly what it is. The action is pretty cool, but the philosophy is even cooler.
½ January 3, 2016
A mediocre attempt at a 'mind-control'/perverted future film - all been done before in 'The Matrix', 'Avatar' & 'The Purge'. Kable (Butler) is being controlled in a shoot-em-up, real-life 'game' and has to escape and kill his captor/game-creator, Dexter. Pretty much everyone is wasted/under-used - Sedgwick, Lerman, Lohman, Crews, Ludacris, Valletta, Leguizamo, David. Not all crap, but not much better than that.
½ December 18, 2015
watched this movie on youtube and it sucks. of course, Michael c. hall and Gerard butler are good looking guys.
October 9, 2015
Unbelievably terrible! Garbage! I think directors are really crazy! Looked like they made this movie unbelievably disgusting, gross and annoying! So lots of people disliked it... Actors were all bad! Boring story and it was like The Matrix... 3D effects were terrible too. Why Lionsgate said OK to make a really bad 3D movie?! I wasted 95 minutes today... and I'll sell this garbage Blu-ray Disc!
August 2, 2015
plot is sub par, but it's got some shock value. I mainly enjoyed it because I love every one of the actors.
July 23, 2015
any enjoyable scene in this movie is compromised by eye gouging flash editing and perverse sexual imagery
½ July 19, 2015
It's Gerard Butler, hellloooo of course I want to see it.
½ July 9, 2015
An all over the place action film with a crap ton of shaky cam that will give you a headache. But I dug the story and development of it. Just kinda average, slightly below average.
July 7, 2015
All people who are rating this as bad are only stating their opinion. I personally liked it and cliches are not bad because they are tried and tested. A good cliche is better than a original act. You go to far outside the box you are bound to fail. In my opinion great movie with a Bourne twist.
½ June 28, 2015
It was nice. Represents how entertainment is gaining on everything. Of course it's a gross exaggeration, but which movie is not?
½ June 10, 2015
Another fine example of how not to do a video game based movie! Look at "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World", that is a film in which it knows of what it's supposed to be, and they have fun with it! Here, it kinda focus's on what it is, then it doesn't, flashy, fatty, sexy, a derpy derp, a derpidy dippy derpy dumb!! Oh for God's sake! Even Micheal C. Hall doesn't even look like he cares for the role he plays in this film! Just mailing it in!
May 1, 2015
Did they really have a script for this busy,overly confusing mess?