Gamer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gamer Reviews

September 9, 2016
very action packed, but very very strange at some points, it was a lot like "death race" but actually somewhat better.
½ August 7, 2016
1 1/2 out of 5 Music video disguised as action flick edited by a Parkinson's patient. A spastic cross between The Running Man and Surrogates, it's all cheasy, crappy style and absolutely no substance.
½ June 25, 2016
one of the most accurate-feeling dystopian stories i've come across. an entertaining action flick.
½ May 2, 2016
Butler cashes out in this film made for gamers who foamed over 300.
April 14, 2016
I really dug this flick. I enjoy the frenetic editing and stylized shooting style employed by Neveldine/Taylor, and I was rather amused by the over stimulated future world they portrayed here if only because we feel like we're well on our way there already. Plus it's funny to see Michael C. Hall doing the corn-pone campy shit, mugging for the camera and obviously having a helluva lot of fun in his role.

This is a fun film, and if you liked Crank, you'll really enjoy this.

Give this one a rental at the very least.
March 26, 2016
A little different than I expected, But the film has its good parts, (Mainly its action) and its bad parts too, I wanted a little more from the film as it got a little disappointing at the end.
January 21, 2016
Gerard Butler is awesome in this one. It takes a look at society for exactly what it is. The action is pretty cool, but the philosophy is even cooler.
½ January 3, 2016
A mediocre attempt at a 'mind-control'/perverted future film - all been done before in 'The Matrix', 'Avatar' & 'The Purge'. Kable (Butler) is being controlled in a shoot-em-up, real-life 'game' and has to escape and kill his captor/game-creator, Dexter. Pretty much everyone is wasted/under-used - Sedgwick, Lerman, Lohman, Crews, Ludacris, Valletta, Leguizamo, David. Not all crap, but not much better than that.
½ December 18, 2015
watched this movie on youtube and it sucks. of course, Michael c. hall and Gerard butler are good looking guys.
October 9, 2015
Unbelievably terrible! Garbage! I think directors are really crazy! Looked like they made this movie unbelievably disgusting, gross and annoying! So lots of people disliked it... Actors were all bad! Boring story and it was like The Matrix... 3D effects were terrible too. Why Lionsgate said OK to make a really bad 3D movie?! I wasted 95 minutes today... and I'll sell this garbage Blu-ray Disc!
August 2, 2015
plot is sub par, but it's got some shock value. I mainly enjoyed it because I love every one of the actors.
July 23, 2015
any enjoyable scene in this movie is compromised by eye gouging flash editing and perverse sexual imagery
½ July 19, 2015
It's Gerard Butler, hellloooo of course I want to see it.
½ July 9, 2015
An all over the place action film with a crap ton of shaky cam that will give you a headache. But I dug the story and development of it. Just kinda average, slightly below average.
July 7, 2015
All people who are rating this as bad are only stating their opinion. I personally liked it and cliches are not bad because they are tried and tested. A good cliche is better than a original act. You go to far outside the box you are bound to fail. In my opinion great movie with a Bourne twist.
½ June 28, 2015
It was nice. Represents how entertainment is gaining on everything. Of course it's a gross exaggeration, but which movie is not?
½ June 10, 2015
Another fine example of how not to do a video game based movie! Look at "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World", that is a film in which it knows of what it's supposed to be, and they have fun with it! Here, it kinda focus's on what it is, then it doesn't, flashy, fatty, sexy, a derpy derp, a derpidy dippy derpy dumb!! Oh for God's sake! Even Micheal C. Hall doesn't even look like he cares for the role he plays in this film! Just mailing it in!
May 1, 2015
Did they really have a script for this busy,overly confusing mess?
½ April 3, 2015
The shaky cam is 10 times as bad as the Bourne films, and its nauseating. It made me want to puke, and the film was so bad, and disgusting, and visually vulgar, that I actually may have.
March 28, 2015
"Gamer" is a mean-spirited, misogynist, poorly edited and poorly shot action film. The characters are cliché and the world the story is set in so vaguely defined that it's impossible to understand what is going on. I'm not usually one to criticize a film for feeling familiar because if you look deeply enough, a lot of people take inspiration from myths or common story elements, but when your movie brings in nothing new and doesn't even feel like it's trying, I call foul.

The film is set in 2024. The gaming industry has been revolutionized because now, instead of playing regular video games people can command prisoners to fight to the death in a "real life" video game called Slayers. If you don't feel like having convicts fight each other to the death? Well that's ok because you can also have other human beings dance around, perform dangerous stunts, have gratuitous sex or embarrass each other in a tamer game called "Society" where poor people get paid to have their bodies controlled by others. Our hero is John "Kable" Tillman (Gerard Butler), the most popular pawn in the game of Slayers. There's something sinister about this futuristic society, and if the probably evil Castle (Michael C. Hall) is to be taken down, Kable will have to take control of his own body!
What irritated me about this picture is that the story just feels like an excuse to have stuff happen. Really important elements of this world are never explained, they're just there and you have to take for granted that it works the way it does. I don't mean in the same way that a far-out premise like say... "The Running Man" either. I'm talking about stuff that could plausibly happen but is presented in a way that makes no sense. For example, the rules or goals of the Slayers game are never established. What is the objective of the game? Do the slayers have to run to a shelter before they are killed? Do you have to murder a certain amount of people? Is there a time limit? You never find out. How has Slayers revolutionized video games anyways? It's not like the players can feel what their convicts can feel, and games can't be started at any time of the day (they're televised) so how is a video game that you can pick up for cheaper, play at any time not strickly better? This is a tale that doesn't care about explaining anything or developing the world it's set in so it's really hard to care about anything that's going on. Stuff just happens so that we can have people kill each other.
I'll give the movie this: if the objective was to make a game that feels like a deplorable video game, mission accomplished! The characters actually feel like video game personalities because your immediate impression of them is everything that defines them. The villain is very obviously evil (even though it's supposed to be a mystery) for example and he does that typical thing that every bad villain does in a bad action movie. I'm just saying that you would never see Mr. Glass from "Unbreakable" pick a fight with Arnold Schwarzenegger because one is a brainy villain, the other is an action hero... but that doesn't stop our Machiavellian sociopath! Kable isn't any better. He's set up as a killer but anyone with half a brain can see that this is once again, one of these movies where our anti-hero isn't an actual anti hero, he's just a good guy that's been misunderstood. Nearly every other character is totally disposable, and not the least bit memorable. Unless they're a woman because those are all killed or sexually exploited by the time the credits roll. Females in "Gamer" are more like props than actual people. I was actually really disturbed by some of the events in the film. Want a hint of some of the distasteful developments? How about I give you an easy one: there's a character called "Rick Rape" in the "tamer" Society game!
There are a few scenes that have good action segments and there are a couple of laughs here and there but there's no real audience for this movie. You would think that this action film would be made to cater to video game enthusiasts, but they're all portrayed as unlikeable sexual deviants that would willingly sexually assault or murder human beings for kicks. "Gamer" goes out of its way to show how horrible it is to get entertainment out of seeing human beings being killed, so people who revel in violence and gore (fans of action or horror movies) won't get much entertainment out of this lecture either. There's no need to see this when there are actual good movies based on the same concept easily available. I came to thoroughly hate "Gamer". (Dvd, July 14, 2012)