Godspell Reviews

• Feb 01, 2019

The best inspiring movie ever made!

The best inspiring movie ever made!

• Jun 11, 2018

Great songs, an attractive cast, inventive use of NYC and to top it off surprisingly moving. This is often compared unfavourably with 'Jesus Christ Superstar', but that makes no sense to me at all. ''Godspell' - taking itself far less seriously than 'JCS' - achieves a profundity the other never approaches.

• Apr 01, 2018

I loved it. But I have a thing for the 70s.

I loved it. But I have a thing for the 70s.

• May 18, 2017

Fine for what it is, but it's very much a product of the era from whence it came - take that as you will. Comparison to "Jesus Christ Superstar" is kinda unavoidable, since they cover the same material, but especially because there was also a hippie version of that filmed in the same year. It's a happier, simpler, and, I daresay, more naive take on the idea than JCS was, though with interesting anachronistic symbolism of its own (the clown makeup on Jesus is an idea that probably warrants further research to fully appreciate the nuances of). However, unfortunately, despite the interesting symbolism, I wasn't blown away by any of the songs - a bit of a problem for a musical, especially when direct competitor JCS had a lot of extremely memorable songs.

• Apr 15, 2017

This 1973 musical based on the Broadway play of the same name tells the story of the gospel in slapstick theatrics and wonderful musical numbers. It is the perfect movie to be showing on TCM (it will be on at 5 am PST) so it is recommended that you set your dvr. Make sure to record the HD version of the channel as there is no blu ray currently for the film.

• Jan 29, 2017

Absolutely beautiful and inspiring and tons of fun!

Absolutely beautiful and inspiring and tons of fun!

• Oct 23, 2015

Inventive reimagining of perhaps the best known book of the New Testament, there's no catchy songs though.

• Jul 13, 2015

Love the music and was in the play!

Love the music and was in the play!

• Jun 17, 2015

i enjoyed the new approach.

i enjoyed the new approach.

• Sep 05, 2014