Grandma Reviews

• Feb 23, 2019

Another case of a star leading the film like the character in the story. Tomlin, in a genuinely arguable re-established definitive spotlight, brings in witty sporadic humor and fuels dramatic argument towards generational and relationship topics under a decent feministic direction that feels somewhat stilted during some confrontations. (B+) (Full review TBD)

• Nov 18, 2018

Some fun parts but overall just okay and can skip.

Some fun parts but overall just okay and can skip.

• Aug 13, 2018

Truly mediocre , hammy acting , poorly scripted , waste of time.

Truly mediocre , hammy acting , poorly scripted , waste of time.

• Nicki M Super Reviewer
    May 04, 2018

I really liked this one. Both the grandma and the grand daughter were perfect. I loved how down to earth they both were and this didn’t slide into cloying as it so easily could have.

• Apr 21, 2018

It's okay. The short runtime is a good idea since not much happens. Some of the scenes are too conspicuously contrived. Lily Tomlin is good and I like the granddaughter. It's a slight thumbs up although very low on the rewatchability continuum. 5.4 out of 10

• Apr 19, 2018

Great acting by strong individual women

Great acting by strong individual women

• Feb 27, 2018

I watched this movie last noight on HBO and loved the story, well written.

I watched this movie last noight on HBO and loved the story, well written.

• Feb 24, 2018

Very well written. Acting just doesn't get much better than Lily Tomlin as Grandma. Lily has always brought a realism to any role, but this was spot on. She delivers so much human condition to each emotion, each situation. Beautiful in every way. Sage, the very vulnerable granddaughter is spot on, too. And no one recognizes Marsha Gay Harden for the actress she is, as much as they should. Kudos to Lily, and to Paul Weitz, the writer of this wonderful film. Well Done! I am behind; only just tonight watched this on Public TV. I hope we see lots more acting from Lily. Thank you, Lily, for all of the wonderful years of giving full on, spot on excellent work! Thank you. Gosh, this was good!

• Sep 13, 2017

Lily Tomlin was fantastic in this film, and the major reason to see it. It is a dramedy with lessons to learn for everyone. Sam Elliott is excellent. I thought Lily Tomlin would be nominated for several awards. WARNING: If you have issues around birth control, planned partnerhood or abortion: STAY AWAY. This is a film for adults handling adult situations.

• Aug 13, 2017

There's really nothing to this story. There's a simple overarching premise that is really only used as an excuse to uncover various aspects of Elle Reid's life and relationships. Unfortunately, due to the restrictions of the story's timeline, none of these aspects are adequately developed. The film feels half-baked at best.