Reviews

• Mar 02, 2021

Why the low ratings?? WAY too harsh! This is a FANTASTIC FUN movie. The chemistry between Cage and Mclaine is wonderful. The writing is excellent and both main actors make it not only interesting but funny.... it has it all. I loved watching the bond grow between two very serious, independent, yet lonely characters come together. I could watch this movie more than a few times, which I have.

• Nov 20, 2020

This entry from the kinder/gentler section of the Cage filmography has good lead performances from Cage and Shirley MacLaine, but is very low stakes and suffers from a poor final act.

• Sep 21, 2020

Nicholas Cage , a Secret Service man, guards Tess, ex First Lady, Shirley MacLaine. He wants out after three years on the job, but she won't have it. He remains and then discovers he likes Tess. After a winter picnic Tess is kidnapped. Very exciting last third. Nicholas Cage can act and held his own with the great MacLaine.

• Sep 05, 2020

Guarding Tess is a terrific vehicle for MacLaine and Cage as these two are at odds with each other throughout most of the film, but this is relationship you've seen before, Much like a mother and a son butting heads you come to realize that these two characters are learning to care and respect each other for what they do or have done and for the irascible person they are. There are many funny moments in this show and its a tribute to both actors.

• Jul 09, 2020

It's fun to see these two play off each other.

It's fun to see these two play off each other.

• Aug 20, 2019

Decent to pass the time. The film possibly could have been a comedy classic with some rewrites, but the performances are great and the climax will likely maintain your attention.

• Dec 13, 2016

Pleasant movie. Good cast. Comedic and dramatic tension between Cage and McLaine is marvelous.

• Dec 13, 2016

I have seen this movie several times. I really like it. The affection between "Tess" and Nicolas Cage is very real. It's a small, simple movie about real people in the big spotlight of politics.

• Sep 17, 2016

Contrived & manipulative, but it always brings a tear to my eye because of its 2 principals.

• Apr 18, 2016

Guarding Tess est une comédie dramatique sur un garde du corps bien trop diplômé pour veiller sur la Première Dame des USA. Ce qui pourrait être mélodramatique se trouve élevé par la simple présence de Nicolas Cage et Shirley MacLaine, absolument parfaits. Mais Guarding Tess, aussi bien intentionné qu'il soit, est particulièrement inintéressant à cause du manque total de péripéties originales à faire vivre à nos deux protagonistes, qui passent donc le film à s'envoyer des piques plus ou moins drôles. Dommage, car le supporting cast est aussi bon que les deux monstres et que le film a la bonne idée de ne durer que 90 minutes. Mais réellement, rien n'est à garder de cette sympathique pochade qu'est Guarding Tess.