Hang 'em High Reviews

• 6d ago

You'll enjoy it if you simply like westerns or Clint Eastwood. This stands out from Eastwood's many other westerners in how his character here is more straight-laced than his typical antihero. The Oklahoma territory backdrop to the action doubles as a surprising source of food for thought regarding the need to instill law and order through questionable penalties.

• Jan 18, 2021

Granted, I love a good Clint Eastwood western, but seeing him bounce against Pat Hingle as the judge added an aspect we did not see in Clint's earlier movies. I was ready to chalk Pat up to to being the "villain" but once the movie ended I actually understood his perspective. Didn't agree with Pat 100% necessarily, but understood. I thought this would be a bit of a cliched "Clint is hung, survives, rampages in his Clint way towards getting revenge", but did not see him becoming the <SPOILER> federal marshal to hunt them down. LOVED the build up and the pay off to the mass hanging, very well done. A bit different movie from Clint's spaghetti westerns and Josey, but entertaining and a bit unexpected.

• Jan 08, 2021

Yes, Clint Eastwood made other Westerns besides the Dollars trilogy, but that doesn't mean you should drop whatever you're doing to go see them. Hang 'em High starts as pretty slick fare - a revenge story with a protagonist of few words tracking down the group that tried to have him killed - but it tries to introduce to much else to really succeed, and its subplots grind against one another, making the film seem confused instead of giving Eastwood's Cooper any depth. The romantic subplot feels forced and awkward, totally out of sync with the rest of the plot. The main narrative starts with a compelling premise, especially with the distinct personalities of the group members that Cooper tracks down, each responding to their misdeed differently, and Hingle's Judge Fenton posing a moral quandry: order vs. justice (really, the entire film is about finding a balance between practicality and virtue in the enforcement of the law). But the execution is oftentimes pretty darn rough, especially the rather strange actions of the nine perpetrators and the bizarre pacing. Not nearly on the same level as the classic Eastwood-Leone spaghetti westerns that it followed. Though Bruce Dern should get some credit - at times getting the better of both Eastwood and John Wayne in different Westerns? That's a real accomplishment. (2.5/5)

• Dec 29, 2020

Hang 'em High feels like an American imitation of a Sergio Leone western that is helped with Clint Eastwood's presence. It isn't as gritty as the Leone films, but it is trying its best. It is a good Clint Eastwood western with the usual anarchist theme, something of a low-key character arc for his cowboy (learning mercy) and will satisfy fans of the genre.

• Dec 27, 2020

This classic spaghetti western was really good. Clint Eastwood, Ed Begley, Pat Hingle, Inger Stevens, and the rest of the cast did a great job in this classic movie. The plot to the movie was action-packed, thrilling, and dramatic. It's about breaking the rules to bring in criminals to justice dead or alive. If you haven't seen this classic western movie yet, check it out sometime. It's a must see.

• Dec 05, 2020

It was a nice introduction to my boa bai, who never saw a spaghetti western before. The plot was okay but the ending didn't sit right with me. I almost missed Dennis Hopper's appearance; it was so quick. It was a nice movie to relax with. Not something I'd see again.

• Sep 14, 2020

Clint Eastwood character lost his balls in here, emasculated character, women starring on, justice and religion, where did the rebel, freedom and recklessness went to, disappointing

• Aug 05, 2020

Movie Rating: 4/10

Movie Rating: 4/10

• Jul 18, 2020

This is my favourite Western and in my opinion Clint's best.

This is my favourite Western and in my opinion Clint's best.

• Jul 15, 2020

A decent western which I enjoyed, I loved the story, I loved how it built up to Jed getting his revenge on the people who made him hang. Also, I thought the score worked nicely with the scenes they've been put with especially the one where Jed's on his horse going up the hill to get his revenge on the people who made him hang. Overall, it's a decent little western movie, it's got some great action scenes with Clint Eastwood which I really liked and it's got a decent story.