Hereafter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hereafter Reviews

½ July 10, 2017
Hereafter is an uneven film that is undeniably interesting. We have some good performances and an intriguing premise, but it could have been a masterpiece. The plot took too long to develop and the ending was rushed, but the in between section was excellent. Glad Clint took on a different type of film too
July 8, 2017
I'd have to say it was interesting. Very slow moving. Centered on emotions, then it stopped.
½ June 28, 2017
Consensus is right on. Fine performances, interesting premise but flawed execution. Come on Clint, we know you're better than this.
June 27, 2017
A film that talks about the afterlife through three perspectives. However, it a long ride until you see something going. It's mostly a time-killer movie, leaving nothing to make you think.
May 14, 2017
Can't believe the low ratings. People are stupid ; )
March 17, 2017
REVIEW (GRADE: D+) A rare double-misfire by director Clint Eastwood and star Matt Damon, Hereafter opens with one of the most gripping scenes I've ever witnessed: a tsunami sweeps through a resort town, with buildings, cars, and people swept up in a massive tidal wave. Initially similar to scenes in various disaster films, Eastwood shows his talent as a director when he scales down from massive special-effects-driven destruction and follows one person as she struggles for life against the current and debris. It's a harrowing, realistic scene, effectively opening with a bang a film that sadly whimpers along for the rest of its running time. Essentially a feature-length promo for psychic mediums with a few blatantly anti-Christian overtones, Hereafter is flatly-written, sluggishly-paced, and dramatically unsatisfying. To their credit, the actors do the best they can with the meandering script, and a few scenes are emotionally effective, but the end result is underwhelming and unfocused.

CONTENT OVERVIEW: Hereafter is rated PG-13. It contains intense, but not graphic, depictions of a natural disaster and a terrorist attack. There is a moderate amount of foul language, including one f-word. It is implied that a man and a woman are having a sexual relationship, and both are briefly scene in their underwear in a hotel room (it is morning and they are waking up/getting dressed).

MESSAGES TO DISCUSS: Do family relationships continue beyond the grave?
½ January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 11, 2016
Interesting subject albeit a titch slow moving. I liked how there's 3 stories unfolding. Makes you wonder how they all connect but they do.
December 6, 2016
So many good bits to this movie; have no reservations about giving this story five stars!
October 12, 2016
Hereafter is a steady, noiseless examination on death and the dearly departed have on the existing that was completely exhausting. However, this film does not lack any ambition, with the subjects of death and the afterlife. But, it provides such a compelling diegesis with a monotonous and convoluted portrayal that leaves you drifting away to another subject.
½ July 16, 2016
Clint still seems obsessed with the mortality issue, but it is clear that he doesn't know what he is doing with this esoteric babble that lacks focus and purpose, presenting three poorly-written stories combined without any fluidness and leading to a corny ending that is simply lamentable.
½ May 21, 2016
I thought this was a great film. If anyone has any suggestions of films like it send them my way. It's basically about a man with a gift to contact the deceased and see a persons important life moments through touch
March 24, 2016
"Hereafter" tells the story of three people who are touched by death in different ways. George is a blue-collar American who has a special connection to the afterlife. On the other side of the world, Marie, a French journalist, has a near-death experience that shakes her reality. And when Marcus, a London schoolboy, loses the person closest to him, he desperately needs answers. Each on a path in search of the truth, their lives will intersect, forever changed by what they believe might -- or must -- exist in the hereafter.
February 2, 2016
Matt Damon as psychic, sees disasters. Tsunami like Phuket
½ December 17, 2015
Interesting concept and film
½ November 2, 2015
The first couple of acts of this make for an extremely slowly-paced yet somehow compelling hangout movie, where not much happens but you just fall into its rhythms and want to keep watching these characters. Honestly I could have watched a whole movie of Howard's character trying to get through to Damon's; the actors have a surprising amount of chemistry, and the blindfold-food-tasting scene is quite extraordinary. It makes the supposedly romantic ending seem like a bit of a wet fart in comparison.
½ October 9, 2015
Aunque los temas de la vida despues de la muerte y la aceptacion de la misma son tratados con toda seriedad queda la impresión que algo quedo a deber.Aun asi merece una oportunidad
½ September 6, 2015
This movie seems like it's going to be great and then you see it and you feel kind of disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it's a good movie, but I think I expected more from Clint Eastwood. It feels slow too. I think it could have ended better or the relationship between the three characters could have been developed more.
½ August 2, 2015
Completely underrated, Hereafter is a sad, but emotional drama about death that will make you cry
½ July 9, 2015
exceeds at nothing, except as an alternative to sleeping pills.