Hot Rod - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hot Rod Reviews

½ January 17, 2017
Movie about a bunch man-children..... I like it. Ironically more than the critically praised Popstar:Never Stop Never Stopping. Maybe this film didn't come out at the right time, maybe I have terrible taste in comedy. I don't know but this film is hilarious to me. Andy Samberg forever falling down the mountain had me laughing so hard my stomach hurt.

Movies can be taken too seriously sometimes and this is definitely not a film you should be looking at for the basic movie formula. The plot is ridiculous, the characters over the top and the jokes are random. All together its a quirky classic.
January 14, 2017
It's ridiculous and goes no where. Nonetheless I can't help but laugh for stretches and smile for the rest. It's the ultimate guilty pleasure
January 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 26, 2016
Horrorosa. No hace nada de gracia.
½ December 20, 2016
Forgettable and scarcely funny
December 14, 2016
This movie is absolutely hilarious!! Definitely a must watch if you have a sense of humor.
½ December 3, 2016
Hot Rod is the directorial debut of Akiva Schaffer, and it stars Andy Samberg, Jorma Taccone, Bill Hader, and Danny McBride in a comedy about a stuntman that wanted to make his dad proud in being an actual stuntman, only problem however, he sucks at it, and when his step-dad is dying of cancer, he wants to raise enough money to help heal him, just so he can beat the crap out of him and want to be a man out of this. I wouldn't really know what to say out of this as this The Lonely Island's first film involvement together, and it's a decent film for me, but it's very weird. The acting is good as they got the comedic timing for it, and the humor for me, is really hit-or-miss in terms of it's weird humor here. Sometimes it's fine and gets a laugh out me, but then there other stuff that is honestly too weird for me to laugh at and was more or less, "well that just happened". The characters are enjoyable, and the score is nicely put together, leaving off to the most epic scene in the film. I feel like Hot Rod is one of those films that after finishing it, people are like, "well that was something", and whether they like it or not is really up to them in terms of their taste in comedy. This film isn't for everyone, it's really weird and out there and some people would be pulled off, I almost did, but there's enough good humor in there that sucks me back in and enjoy out of Hod Rod.
½ November 30, 2016
This is absurd and funny and has a great cast!
November 19, 2016
Maybe it's my humor or generation, but this movie is terrific in the most innocent, simplistic and immature kind of humor. Don't go in with overarching expectations and you won't come out disappointed.
November 13, 2016
It has some funny moments, definitely some good ideas here and there. But overall it's just too silly.
October 17, 2016
If you enjoy movies like Step Brothers, Blades of Glory or The Other Guys, you will think this is super funny. Many many funny scenes.
September 11, 2016
Over the top and fast paced, the humor behind Hot Rod is what you can call "weirdly american", which it does works most of the time thanks to the presence of Sanberg, Fisher, McBride and Hader.
September 10, 2016
Hot Rod is a Funny funny film that stars: Andy Samberg, Jorma Taccone, Isla Fisher, Bill Hader and Danny Mcbride. It's is a very funny and stupid movie at the same time that is very enjoyable to watch and if you are a fan of The Lonely Island you'll love this.
August 26, 2016
Funny as hell. This movie is a classic!
August 23, 2016
just enough stupid humor to be funny. Some of the crashes were really funny.
August 13, 2016
Silly movie where the Lonely Island crew as well as Bill Harder and Danny McBride throw together some great jokes making for a good sleepover laugh.
August 8, 2016
"I used to be legit. I was too legit. I was too legit to quit. but now I'm not legit. I'm unlegit. And for that reason, I must quit."

Eh, it was aight.

Hot Rod is directed by Akiva Schaffer and follows Rod Kimble as he tries to do the impossible, jump 15 buses to raise money for his dying step-father.

The good? Ok, Hot Rod is likeable at it's best. We have an array of interesting and charming characters (especially Dave, played by Bill Hader) which all add their own essence to this comedy. On point physical slapstick, that is where the film gets the majority of it's belly laughs as well as some pretty nifty quips (see the preceding quote). The plot is over the top, but in it's own way, humble. It has the spirit of Napoleon Dynamite.

The bad? Hot Rod is clichéd in its core. Very, very clichéd. Which is disappointing. It's the regular zero to hero story with a few bizarre elements mixed into the brew. It's watchable, but not worth a status of cult. It's hilarious when it's not too cartoonish and cheesy, and unfortunately, we get a lot of cheese. Not clever dialogue cheese either, just shoehorned cheese that's relatively annoying. (i.e the whole 'dad' subplot is mind numbing). I'm just sick of these American Comedies being shot in such an artificial and generic way. Stodgy as fuck.

All in all, it's a serviceable comedy. It does it's job, nothing more. We get some incredibly sweet and funny moments, but with too many misses. Shame. I hope Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping is as good as it looks (Akiva's upcoming movie)

B-

60/100
August 5, 2016
It's random and silly in a good way.
August 2, 2016
Still one of my favorite comedies to this day.
July 23, 2016
Nowhere near as funny as it thinks it is.