Hot Rod - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hot Rod Reviews

½ November 30, 2016
This is absurd and funny and has a great cast!
November 19, 2016
Maybe it's my humor or generation, but this movie is terrific in the most innocent, simplistic and immature kind of humor. Don't go in with overarching expectations and you won't come out disappointed.
November 13, 2016
It has some funny moments, definitely some good ideas here and there. But overall it's just too silly.
October 17, 2016
If you enjoy movies like Step Brothers, Blades of Glory or The Other Guys, you will think this is super funny. Many many funny scenes.
September 11, 2016
Over the top and fast paced, the humor behind Hot Rod is what you can call "weirdly american", which it does works most of the time thanks to the presence of Sanberg, Fisher, McBride and Hader.
September 10, 2016
Hot Rod is a Funny funny film that stars: Andy Samberg, Jorma Taccone, Isla Fisher, Bill Hader and Danny Mcbride. It's is a very funny and stupid movie at the same time that is very enjoyable to watch and if you are a fan of The Lonely Island you'll love this.
August 26, 2016
Funny as hell. This movie is a classic!
August 23, 2016
just enough stupid humor to be funny. Some of the crashes were really funny.
August 13, 2016
Silly movie where the Lonely Island crew as well as Bill Harder and Danny McBride throw together some great jokes making for a good sleepover laugh.
August 8, 2016
"I used to be legit. I was too legit. I was too legit to quit. but now I'm not legit. I'm unlegit. And for that reason, I must quit."

Eh, it was aight.

Hot Rod is directed by Akiva Schaffer and follows Rod Kimble as he tries to do the impossible, jump 15 buses to raise money for his dying step-father.

The good? Ok, Hot Rod is likeable at it's best. We have an array of interesting and charming characters (especially Dave, played by Bill Hader) which all add their own essence to this comedy. On point physical slapstick, that is where the film gets the majority of it's belly laughs as well as some pretty nifty quips (see the preceding quote). The plot is over the top, but in it's own way, humble. It has the spirit of Napoleon Dynamite.

The bad? Hot Rod is clichéd in its core. Very, very clichéd. Which is disappointing. It's the regular zero to hero story with a few bizarre elements mixed into the brew. It's watchable, but not worth a status of cult. It's hilarious when it's not too cartoonish and cheesy, and unfortunately, we get a lot of cheese. Not clever dialogue cheese either, just shoehorned cheese that's relatively annoying. (i.e the whole 'dad' subplot is mind numbing). I'm just sick of these American Comedies being shot in such an artificial and generic way. Stodgy as fuck.

All in all, it's a serviceable comedy. It does it's job, nothing more. We get some incredibly sweet and funny moments, but with too many misses. Shame. I hope Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping is as good as it looks (Akiva's upcoming movie)

B-

60/100
August 5, 2016
It's random and silly in a good way.
August 2, 2016
Still one of my favorite comedies to this day.
July 23, 2016
Nowhere near as funny as it thinks it is.
July 11, 2016
Very hit-and-miss, but enough in-jokes with the audience and laughable moments to keep it going.
July 8, 2016
This comedy is not for everyone. You either get a few laughs, find it horribly dumb, or laugh through the entire thing. I am the last one. Many critics bash the film for the childlike actions/persona the main characters portray--however this is entirely on purpose. Many also tend to bash other comedies that rely on sex jokes or jokes that cross lines of comfortability. That being said, I find it odd that so many verified critics did not at least give Hot Rod credit for not doing so. Again, it is very slapstick much like Napolean Dynamite BUT with a story line. I would say the closest film to compare it to would be Nacho Libre--both slapsticks truly original plots. As a fan of many types of humor, I thought the film nearly perfected it's goal: a childlike and amiable protagonist, off-the-wall humor, and originality.
July 2, 2016
This doesn't make any sense to me this film just seems silly it just seems like it's Amy not a very low target of audience that is willing to accept anything that is remotely funny or remotely even hilarious. Man thinking of movies like this that has a talented cast gives me a headache in the fact of the thought that this movie is should be considered as a good comedy is a joke in itself space my final grade for this is a D+
July 1, 2016
They couldn't have picked a better cast. To be honest, if they included every single stupid deleted scene I would have just liked it even more. I've seen terrible movies. This is not one of them, but just caters to a specific sense of humor that I happen to have. As far as being left out of an "inside joke amongst friends," I didn't get that feeling. I consider myself part of the Hot Rod family. Maybe it reminds me of people that I know in real life, and in that there is more of a meaningful truth to it than most would get out of it. Maybe it is because I, too, enjoy making little animals and figurines out of Sculpey clay as a grown adult. I thought every actor did a wonderful job of creating distinct and memorable characters.
June 27, 2016
 Lets get one thing very clear here; Andy Samberg is really funny.  If you've ever seen "SNL" I'm sure you know this.  "Dick in a Box" ring a bell?  Hot Rod is good for laughs.  If you've seen Footloose you have to see Hot Rod.  Some "SNL" folks pop up here as well as Will Arnett (can't pass him up).  Arnett plays the huge asshole boyfriend to Rod's love interest.  You love to hate him.  My favorite part was without a second thought the whiskey scene (just watch the first bit before he rolls down the hill). I totally laughed watching it again!  It was made into a rap song for the soundtrack.  I listened to it, quite nice.  Speaking of the soundtrack I'm putting it down as a must have.  In addition to 80s favorites by Moving Pictures, Cutting Crew, Stacey Q and Europe there's also a bit o' dialogue.  I totally recommend both the flick and the soundtrack.
June 25, 2016
The single best movie of all time
June 22, 2016
Definitely underrated. Stupid comedy that is the type of movie that gets more funny after you watch it and think back about it.