Hot Rod - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hot Rod Reviews

July 23, 2016
Nowhere near as funny as it thinks it is.
July 11, 2016
Very hit-and-miss, but enough in-jokes with the audience and laughable moments to keep it going.
July 8, 2016
This comedy is not for everyone. You either get a few laughs, find it horribly dumb, or laugh through the entire thing. I am the last one. Many critics bash the film for the childlike actions/persona the main characters portray--however this is entirely on purpose. Many also tend to bash other comedies that rely on sex jokes or jokes that cross lines of comfortability. That being said, I find it odd that so many verified critics did not at least give Hot Rod credit for not doing so. Again, it is very slapstick much like Napolean Dynamite BUT with a story line. I would say the closest film to compare it to would be Nacho Libre--both slapsticks truly original plots. As a fan of many types of humor, I thought the film nearly perfected it's goal: a childlike and amiable protagonist, off-the-wall humor, and originality.
July 2, 2016
This doesn't make any sense to me this film just seems silly it just seems like it's Amy not a very low target of audience that is willing to accept anything that is remotely funny or remotely even hilarious. Man thinking of movies like this that has a talented cast gives me a headache in the fact of the thought that this movie is should be considered as a good comedy is a joke in itself space my final grade for this is a D+
July 1, 2016
They couldn't have picked a better cast. To be honest, if they included every single stupid deleted scene I would have just liked it even more. I've seen terrible movies. This is not one of them, but just caters to a specific sense of humor that I happen to have. As far as being left out of an "inside joke amongst friends," I didn't get that feeling. I consider myself part of the Hot Rod family. Maybe it reminds me of people that I know in real life, and in that there is more of a meaningful truth to it than most would get out of it. Maybe it is because I, too, enjoy making little animals and figurines out of Sculpey clay as a grown adult. I thought every actor did a wonderful job of creating distinct and memorable characters.
June 27, 2016
 Lets get one thing very clear here; Andy Samberg is really funny.  If you've ever seen "SNL" I'm sure you know this.  "Dick in a Box" ring a bell?  Hot Rod is good for laughs.  If you've seen Footloose you have to see Hot Rod.  Some "SNL" folks pop up here as well as Will Arnett (can't pass him up).  Arnett plays the huge asshole boyfriend to Rod's love interest.  You love to hate him.  My favorite part was without a second thought the whiskey scene (just watch the first bit before he rolls down the hill). I totally laughed watching it again!  It was made into a rap song for the soundtrack.  I listened to it, quite nice.  Speaking of the soundtrack I'm putting it down as a must have.  In addition to 80s favorites by Moving Pictures, Cutting Crew, Stacey Q and Europe there's also a bit o' dialogue.  I totally recommend both the flick and the soundtrack.
June 25, 2016
The single best movie of all time
June 22, 2016
Definitely underrated. Stupid comedy that is the type of movie that gets more funny after you watch it and think back about it.
½ June 17, 2016
Really funny comedy with a simple yet heartfelt story, still there are some really random and out of place scenes that make you wonder what's going on, but that doesn't keep it from being hilarious.
June 16, 2016
It feels like a second-rate Napoleon Dynamite at times. It is quirky and sometimes funny, but there is a lot of dumb humor in Hot Rod. (First and only full viewing - In my early twenties)
June 11, 2016
One mans quest to give his old man a beatdown before he dies of cancer. Kicking his butt while dieing from cancer has no honor so he raises money by doin a major jump on a moped.. Before "down town" made them hot
June 5, 2016
Not a good film at all.
June 2, 2016
Can't believe the score is so low for this movie. Incredible jokes, great physical humor. Not just another stupid SNL movie. Really keeps you laughing and is one of the most quotable experiences ever.
May 18, 2016
The funny parts are undoubtedly funny, however the bad parts sadly weigh heavy on this film. Not bad, but not great
May 18, 2016
This is one of the most underrated comedy films of all time! Packed with humor and has an original plot. A must watch
May 2, 2016
Favorite movie, love it.
April 14, 2016
Comedy at its finest.
½ April 10, 2016
A guilty-pleasure movie that is so bad that it's good.
April 3, 2016
This was just not good
½ March 29, 2016
I've seen this next-gen Wet-Hot-American-Summer so many times that most of my laughter was premature. Yet somehow, I still find fresh jokes to laugh at even on my umpteenth watch ("I give the old man a week." "That's really insensitive, Mark"). The cartoonish town itself provides a perfect setting and tone for the endless string of hilarious non-sequiturs and characters. The best part is that its layered stupidity is actually covered in brains, never taking the easy joke when a better one is under the surface.