In Darkness - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In Darkness Reviews

August 23, 2016
Shot almost entirely in the titular setting, Agnieszka Holland's Academy Award-nominated Holocaust film tells a harrowing and moving survival story about a clan of Polish Jews living like sewer rats in a Nazi-occupied town with the help of a Catholic sewer worker and petty thief.
½ January 31, 2016
Good Polish film telling the story of how a coulple of sewer workers tried to help a group of Jews escape the ghetto and their fate at the hands of the Germans. A remarkable true story.
January 31, 2016
Like all Holocaust films, this is bleak and hard to watch. What makes this one stand out is how realistically human the characters are. These men and woman are forced to live in the worst conditions imaginable, and yet we see the joy of life as well as the sorrow. I've seen complaints about the sexual content, and while I too found this off putting at first, they are still human, no matter what the Nazis did to them.
December 4, 2015
Maybe watch it again over 10 years ... yesterday not in the mood for watching war - stuff for 145 minutes !
November 20, 2015
Deeply harrowing, gradually becoming more and more moving as the story moves forward and the richness of the characters really starts to come through. Recommended.
July 17, 2015
WOW... Again, so hard to believe the unbelievable cruelty we do to ourselves as people.. because we're different: religions? ethnicities?... We're all human....
½ February 13, 2015
So great a movie that we feel we're there with them. Brilliant!
December 18, 2014
Its always good to tell the story of someone who stepped up and was brave enough to help any Jews during WWII. A remarkable showing of what people will go through if pushed to their limits. Somewhat longer than it needed to be and an odd amount of sexual situations that didn't seem to fit, but another piece of history that should be rightfully told.
½ October 29, 2014
A tough one to watch. Everyone else has died or been murdered, and you are living in a tiny group of survivors in a sewer system with the murderers above ground. You are dependent on one person who may betray you at any time. It's filthy and there are rats. It's dark, and no end is in sight. In the end you survive. true story.
½ September 2, 2014
The true story of how one Polish sewer worker sheltered for 14 months a handful of Jews during the Holocaust. It makes one understand that during a time of uncertainty and atrocities one man can make a difference. A moving and thought provoking film.
½ August 14, 2014
Although this wartime theme has been well used in film, this is once again a thoughtful and well-shot piece of cinema focussing on one man's rejection of the holocaust in his home city.
½ July 28, 2014
Hardly a barrel of laughs and quite transparently 'pepped up' with some gratuitous 'naughty bits', In Darkness could've so easily been very much better. The basic story is interesting and fairly novel, but the running time overstays its welcome. I'm not sure that the Germans, the Jews nor the Poles come out of it particularly well, leaving the viewer with the message: "people are horrible" which isn't what most viewers want from a film. 6.75/10
July 1, 2014
Really good movie. You have to read, but still good.
June 1, 2014
A new perspective on the holocaust. Can't imagine living in the sewer for 14 months. The movie was very sexual and had very uncensored nudity, which could have been avoided.
May 18, 2014
I thought this was an exceptional movie ~ this was a true story and the movie brings you in and lets you feel like you are there! It is sad to see their trials n struggles as in all holocaust movies but this one really moves you!
March 21, 2014
Wow! Very powerful. During the movie you don't feel like having any drink to enjoy. Watched it at home
March 19, 2014
another well crafted tale of jews n nazis during WWII
February 3, 2014
i enjoyed how real this film was - it was very successful in depicting a horrible time as realistically as possible. the characters here were very human, and the film worked entirely in the greyscale. what i found lacking here, was enough of an exchange between positive and negative moments. there was just so much bleak darkness that it bogged us down and desensitized us to the pain and suffering. Maybe it was the intention, but for me, it felt like a waste.
January 25, 2014
Loved it, and plan on reading the book, "The girl in the green sweater."
bbcfloridabound
January 21, 2014
The very best movie I have seen in years. It's 1943 in Nazi-occupied Poland. The Warsaw Ghetto has fallen and captured Jews are being shipped to death camps. Persecuted on all sides by Germans, Poles and Ukrainian Nazi-collaborators there is nowhere to look but below the manholes into the waste and rat-infested sewers running below the city of Lvov. Polish sewer worker Leopold Socha and his friend Sczcepek are willing to give refuge to the Jews as a means of supplementing their income. It's risky as discovery would mean certain death for them and their families as well. Director Agnieszka Holland, screenwriter David F. Shamoon and cinematographer Jolanta Dylewska have vividly recreated the horrors of that period in "In Darkness". The "Darkness" encompasses the ignorance, sadism and blind hatred of the era as well as the subterranean world in which a handful of people cling to life. Robert Wieckiewicz gives a great performance as Socha. A simple man he is reticent to question the authorities or commonly held prejudices. The supporting cast is excellent including Weronika Rosati as a woman who's concealing a secret that could jeopardize all their lives and Agnieszka Grochowska as Klara who loses her younger sister when she flees the sewers. Based on Robert Marshall's book "In the Sewers of Lvov" this is tough stuff and a powerful indictment of our capacity for cruelty and hypocrisy. 5 stars 1-20-14