In Darkness Reviews

• Apr 08, 2019

A decent 'based on a true story' WWII drama, but really this doesn't deliver anything new to the viewer. I've no idea if the characters portrayed were closely based on the genuine people involved but the strength in the film at least lies in their depiction. The film itself is only ever passingly interesting and fails to deliver much tension or emotion for me.

• Oct 04, 2018

A harrowing and haunting retelling.

A harrowing and haunting retelling.

• Aug 27, 2018

A powerful story that, unfortunately, runs about 20 minutes too long. What starts out as being suspenseful and harrowing turns into a siege, and, eventually, a bore.

• Mar 04, 2017

Yet another contribution to the unrelenting horror that was the second world war for many, but effectively told, with only occasional lapses into convenient symbolism.

• Aug 21, 2016

Shot almost entirely in the titular setting, Agnieszka Holland's Academy Award-nominated Holocaust film tells a harrowing and moving survival story about a clan of Polish Jews living like sewer rats in a Nazi-occupied town with the help of a Catholic sewer worker and petty thief.

• Jan 31, 2016

Like all Holocaust films, this is bleak and hard to watch. What makes this one stand out is how realistically human the characters are. These men and woman are forced to live in the worst conditions imaginable, and yet we see the joy of life as well as the sorrow. I've seen complaints about the sexual content, and while I too found this off putting at first, they are still human, no matter what the Nazis did to them.

• Dec 04, 2015

Maybe watch it again over 10 years ... yesterday not in the mood for watching war - stuff for 145 minutes !

• Nov 20, 2015

Deeply harrowing, gradually becoming more and more moving as the story moves forward and the richness of the characters really starts to come through. Recommended.

• Jul 17, 2015

WOW... Again, so hard to believe the unbelievable cruelty we do to ourselves as people.. because we're different: religions? ethnicities?... We're all human....

• Feb 13, 2015

So great a movie that we feel we're there with them. Brilliant!

So great a movie that we feel we're there with them. Brilliant!