Joy Division - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Joy Division Reviews

½ August 9, 2015
In late 78, Richard Boon, then manager of Buzzcocks took me to a horrible pub in a horrible estate in Manchester to see a band he said was special. It was Joy Division.
I talked to Ian Curtis a number fo times at shows and this documentary captures a raw guilt that everybody involved felt after Ian hanged himself.
Years later people still feel it, they feel they should or could have done something and didn't.
This film captures the feeling absolutely and is a riveting watch, or perhaps it's just me.
Watch it alongside Control and it adds a 3-D feeling to teh ghosts.
July 5, 2014
Grea film which captures the life and times of Joy Division. Hearing the remaining members thoughts on their early years and the death of Ian Curtis was an insight into the difficulties of growing up in the cold and hard Manchester of the 1970s. See Control and then see this.
December 26, 2013
An insightful and revealing documentary that charts the rise of the band and the heartbreaking story of Ian Curtis, enhanced greatly by honest accounts from his fellow band members.
April 19, 2013
Forget Control. This is what you should watch to get the full feeling of what is the story of Joy Division. There is the full line up of significant and relevant interviewees. Some great footage. What more could you ask for? Great documentary
December 30, 2012
Utterly Fantastic - tells the Joy Division story directly from those at the centre of it with the background of 70s Manchester fused with modern day Manchester - must watch for any Joy Division fan or Mancunian
½ November 17, 2012
Aunque al principio parece un documental muy acad├ (C)mico, las reflexiones finales sobre la evoluci├│n de la ciudad, Manchester, y el impulso que Joy Division, Factory, The Ha├žienda y la escena musical le dieron a una ciudad en decadencia son quiz├í de las m├ís bellas que se han hecho nunca.
October 3, 2012
Beautiful tribute to a groundbreaking group with a tragic ending but a lasting legacy.
½ June 14, 2012
absolutely amazing movie, very sad, and a little eerie. The movie was great.
May 26, 2012
Of all Joy Division documentaries and movies, this one is by far the best directed.
April 14, 2012
It's a great dynamic, music documentary with a symbolic structure.
April 13, 2012
Good...interesting subject...had just seen the other two Joy Division related films...this was the least of the three...
December 4, 2011
I though this was a really good film and went a long way to paint Joy Division against the background of the hulme council estates and ex-industrial nature of Manchester in general
½ November 7, 2011
A very interesting look into the history and life of Joy Division. If you like music, you need to do yourself a favor and sit down and watch this one.
½ October 29, 2011
Nice documentary about an interesting time in music history. Some of the interviews are very genuine and others felt a little less than honest. Worth watching after "Control".
½ October 9, 2011
Joy Division fans will likely enjoy this, as I did,.. while those who isn't a fan already might find this a little bit unappealing. I appreciate the included video footage although it lack the quality given of what is available. The documentary is quite informative and provides excellent insight by those privileged enough to have known the band. I love the editing techniques and the abstract visuals to keep things interesting, without getting too artsy or defeating the purpose. However, this documentary didn't go that far beyond the context of the group or the music scene at the time.
August 7, 2011
It's a feature length documentary, about one of the greatest bands ever. Any questions?
June 16, 2011
Absolutely fantastic look at one of my favorite bands. Recomend this to all
May 14, 2011
A very fine and comprehensive documentary.
April 1, 2011
Very moving account out of their lives in the band from start to finish.
½ March 11, 2011
I'd imagine I'm the only to rate this film, but honestly, it's a very insightful documentary on a band that almost could.