Late Night Reviews

• 3d ago

Emma Thompson is an impossibly charming national treasure. Mindy Kaling is delightful and hilariously self aware. These two women together absolutely shine in this comedy that has the balls to actually have something to say. I didn't really have any expectations going into Late Night, I was just hoping for some fun, a few laughs and some end of the week fluff. Instead I got a movie that's a whole lot smarter than I thought it would be and two leads that play off each other brilliantly.

• Elaine DiStasi
    4d ago

Loved Emma THomson...good one

Loved Emma THomson...good one

• 5d ago

The best part of “Late Night” is Emma Thompson. She just dominates this movie. When she’s not on the screen, the movie drags. But once she shows, it comes alive. The weakest part is, unfortunately Mindy Kaling. Mindy is better when she’s snarky, like she was on “ The Office”. Here she’s very nice, playing a newbie from a small town in Pennsylvania who wants to be a comedy writer. But the character, Molly,bored me. Also some part of this movie just wasn’t very believable. Another standout was John Lithgow, who played Emma Thompson’s husband. He brought sensitivity and intelligence to his character. It’s a good movie, with a fine cast, but also very predictable. See the movie for Emma’s tour de force performance.

• 6d ago

I wish they had a tv show as a follow-up to this show because Mindy Kaling is so good at creating charcters that you feel attached to. Even the smaller characters, like the entire writing staff-- you want to know what happens to them and all of their mini stories and potential plots after the show ends. It could be a great new sitcom instead of the office, the writer's room.

• Oct 16, 2019

This movie would have benefitted from canned laughter so at least we knew when we were supposed to think the jokes were funny.

• Oct 16, 2019

Smartly done. Emma Thompson is the perfect foil to Kaling's bubbly naïveté.

Smartly done. Emma Thompson is the perfect foil to Kaling's bubbly naïveté.

• Oct 14, 2019

I enjoyed the message in the movie. I get it.

I enjoyed the message in the movie. I get it.

• Oct 10, 2019

If you like having identity politics rammed down your throat for a couple of hours then this movie is for you. It's a shame it's so heavy handed with its message because it does have some good moments. There's just not enough of them because it's "message" is more import the film makers than the actual script.

• Oct 07, 2019

here is a perfect example of crappy writing, directing and acting can do to an almost good script. All the SJW parts were horrible and felt forced in. The basic idea was great, but poor movie. also, Mindy is a horrible actress.

• Oct 07, 2019

What a fantastic film and what a great pair!!!

What a fantastic film and what a great pair!!!