Memorial Day - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Memorial Day Reviews

½ September 15, 2016
A moving and inspiring story supported by a solid cast and a great script. Very enjoyable for the family to watch.
½ July 28, 2015
A very moving story about our soldiers old and young, and their demons.
June 6, 2014
In a sea of film that revolves around america being the bad guy and craping on classic values because its easy, its nice to see a movie thats well done and the opposite of that. This movie takes full advantage of its well constructed premise. This movie has one slight weakness in that it consistently feels low budget, which is somewhat forgivable for a movie with a first time writer and director.
December 31, 2013
Good movie! Inspiring. Tear-jerking. Definitely makes you think about a lot. When I first read the caption, I figured it would just me a typical war movie. It definitely draws you in, and keeps you interested all the way though. It really makes you think about your own life, and the value of what is around you.
½ October 21, 2013
Good movie made on a low budget, well acted and shot, nothing fancy, with a story to tell.
September 1, 2013
A poignant war film that tells the stories of a grandfather's and grandson's experiences while commanding squads in World War II and the Iraq War, respectively. Very well done.
August 12, 2013
This was a great movie. So much more than we expected, history, family, love, honor, respect, courage. We both cried and that is not our style. A wonderful lesson in why we share our life experiences with our family and loved ones.
½ July 10, 2013
While it makes its best attempt to make you care for the characters, Memorial Day still fails to conquer the threshold of development.
June 21, 2013
My grandfather was a Marine in the Pacific campaign and he died before I joined the military so this was especially emotional for me. Although my grandfather served in the Pacific islands, I was deployed to Ar Ramaadi in 2006. It is true that one must share his experiences and the more traumatic, the more imperative the sharing. Hopefully more films like this will be made so that OIF/OEF veterans will not be bullied by hostile public and press into keeping everything bottled up.

If you believe that any war movie that does not out right support Al Quaida and the Nazis is "right wing" or "conservative" than this movie is not for you. Don't watch it if you automatically despise any war movie that does not defecate on the memory of our heroes. One would wonder why you would even entertain the idea of watching a movie called "Memorial Day" unless you hoped it was by Michael Moore.

This move is not about politics and the line repeated at the end about animals reflects the sentiments of psychologist Lt. Col. Grossman who is anything but conservative. The film is about the shrinking minority of Americans who volunteer to fight and die to protect us from the tyranny of evil men. It is about suffering, love, and courage not only in battle, but in sharing one's terrifying experiences. The acting is not poor and the flashbacks are not hard to follow at all, making one wonder again what some other reviewers were smoking/ingesting/injecting.

There were only a few inconsistencies as the main character was out of uniform toward the end and his grandfather failed to clear a pistol handed to him and proceeded to place his finger within the trigger guard.

This is the first movie to my knowledge that honors the average combat infantryman of the second gulf war and it is adequate in the anticipation of more.
½ May 27, 2013
Great movie. The ending scenes with future Kyle leaves you a little unfulfilled, but overall the movie is great with the memories that Bud have being presented amazingly. I definitely felt the emotions that ran throughout as a result of the soldiers' camaraderie.
May 25, 2013
A movie worthy of its title.
May 9, 2013
This was a great movie...GREAT. For some of the critics it seems that it was too complicated for their small minds.
April 23, 2013
Cromwell gives a good performance and the story was pretty good but the flashbacks between iraq and WWII were a bit much.
April 15, 2013
A grandson finds his grandfather's war chest and coaxes him into telling stories about three objects inside. A good movie but not great.
April 14, 2013
One of the best films in a long time. It really tugs at your emotions and your heart. Makes you thankful for what our soldiers have done and still are doing. 5*
March 12, 2013
Good premise and well executed in parts, but lacking polish or proper drama in the scenes.
Would have been very good with different director and actors
January 22, 2013
How could one possible enjoy this?
January 6, 2013
Pretty good for a B movie.
January 6, 2013
For a war movie it is too inaccurate and cliche driven (especially on the German side). If on the other hand the aim was to focus purely on the story then the plot and characters are just too flat to make it interesting. So either way, this project is a failure on all levels except camera works and editing. A low budget is not an excuse for everything and in this case they could have made more out of an initially interesting idea.

Too conservative, too ordinary, too flat, too predictable and too many stereotypes.
December 31, 2012
I'm thinking leadership, loyalty, and love. I'm thinking I have never seen a more powerful testimony of where the strength of our land lies. If you are among we who have served our country, you will understand. If you are an American, think about those who have given all so that you can be an American. This story is one of many that are locked up in the memories of our finest citizens, our veterans. God bless you all.