Mermaids Reviews

• Apr 08, 2020

Mermaids is the coming of age story of a teen (Winona Ryder) in the sixties. Cher plays the trampy mother of Ryder's character, and Christina Ricci plays the little sister. The Flax girls move often due to the mom's messy love life. When they move to a small town in Massachusetts, Charlotte (Ryder) falls for an older man and Cher finds an admirer in Bob Hoskins. Mermaids is a good comedy/drama that I recommend.

• Dec 31, 2019

I think that 2 stars is good for this movie I might have gave more then 2 but I went with 2. This is a throwback, nostalgic movie for me one of my fave movies, I have not watched this movie in a while, but I would watch it again. I have seen this movie so many times, alright movie.

• Jul 12, 2019

An above average light-hearted drama. Nothing truly spectacular here but still a great watch for fans of Cher and Winona Ryder

• Mar 16, 2019

a family you will grow to love watching, and a teen beauty blossoms into something she thought she would never be.

• Mar 11, 2019

Ryder is lovable, Hoskins is likable, and the film is enjoyable, but it fails to pull on your heartstrings enough to make any "top coming of age" film list.

• Feb 11, 2019

One of my favorites!! Cher is great actress! I can watch it over and over.

One of my favorites!! Cher is great actress! I can watch it over and over.

• Oct 27, 2018

Cute, with some laugh at loud moments and also some serious topics...great soundtrack and costumes...also the scenery, beautiful...the story is a bit hectic and unfinished at times, but it was a fun watch.

• Jun 13, 2018

It was the 1960s, with a mother who is very "out there", an absent father and always moving from town to town, the life of Charlotte isn't easy, and therefore she's interested in becoming a nun (offering an overstructured and "proper" lifestyle), but life is messy, and maybe in this time, things will be different. Made in an era when "coming of age"-movies were a big thing for boys, this female version seems more "cute and safe" than it should have been.

• Oct 11, 2017

It's true, the female protagonists are too self-absorbed to engage our sympathies. This makes the film suffer and thus it lacks a good score.

• Dec 14, 2016

haha, why is this called "mermaids"? this movie was quite funny; & awkward at times. but funny. i really loved Winona's character -- & i like Winona, so there's that.