Newsies Reviews

• Jan 23, 2021

One thing I hate is when critics don't think of the target audience when critiquing a film. I loved this movie when it came out, and I'm pretty sure I was the target audience... I loved The Round House, Christian Bale and musicals in general. I think the music is catchy and the choreography is great. Don't knock something just because you have different standards as you age and get desensitized.

• Jan 21, 2021

This Disney musical was great. Christian Bale, David Moscow, Bill Pullman, Robert Duvall, Luke Edwards, and the rest of the cast did a great job in this movie. This true story about newsboys going on strike was inspirational, dramatic, and entertaining. It's about fighting for what's right and being treated fairly. If you haven't seen this musical yet, you'd probably enjoy it. I did.

• Dec 15, 2020

Standard Disney sing and dance fare.

Standard Disney sing and dance fare.

• Dec 01, 2020

To get the obvious out of the way to start with, Alan Menken is one hell of a composer, his rousing score is the major highlight of this rare live action feature film by Disney, and in many ways its saving grace; additionally the choreography is very solid, with some brilliant footwork from the young cast, however the biggest problem this film has is it doesn't have the most engaging narrative, the plot is far too episodic, and much of the acting, collectively and individually, is fairly mediocre, even Christian Bale struggles to really shine in this early career role of Jack Kelly, which makes it difficult to build a connection with our main protagonists, or feel any kind of disdain towards the antagonists. In many ways this story is far better suited to the stage than the screen, so it makes a lot of sense that, after a few tweaks to the plot, and a few extra songs thrown in, the Broadway musical works so much better than the original film. I am glad that I watched this, however it doesn't make me want to immediately rewatch it like the stage show did.

• Nov 26, 2020

Perfect from top to bottom. Scrappy choreography, soaring music numbers. Feel good.

• Nov 24, 2020

One of my favorite Disney Musicals!

One of my favorite Disney Musicals!

• Nov 14, 2020

Engaging musical. Great way to introduce kids in the States to country they live in. The critics need to douche.

• Sep 27, 2020

can we all agree that this was an amazing movie, please.

can we all agree that this was an amazing movie, please.

• Sep 23, 2020

Enjoyed this. I've noted before that musicals aren't my favourite (the more I watch, the more they grow on me to be honest), but I had a fun time viewing 'Newsies'. It manages to maintain the entertainment whilst keeping strong focus on both the music and storyline, a lot of the musicals that I've seen tend to focus on the tunes first and almost forget about the plot, this doesn't. I thoroughly liked seeing the premise unfold. Talking of song and dance, I rate the musical numbers. I wouldn't say I'll remember or revisit any of the songs but that's not really important, the fact that it all suits the onscreen stuff is what matters most. I do like "Santa Fe" by Christian Bale, who is excellent by the way. Best actor on display, though David Moscow (David), Bill Pullman (Bryan) and Robert Duvall (Pulitzer) are good too. This overtakes 'Babes in Toyland' as my standout Disney strictly live-action musical so far; not including films like 'Mary Poppins', which is a live-action/animation mix.

• Aug 30, 2020

Good musical starring Christian bale.

Good musical starring Christian bale.