Once Were Warriors Reviews

• Oct 15, 2020

In my all time top 10 list of great movies. One of the most intense movies I've ever seen. Watching it was difficult but I simply could not look away. The actors were brilliantly selected and they created a movie I will never forget. I felt like a voyeur peering into the lives of a family free falling into the abyss of a dismal life. It is filled with love, hate, violence, abuse and the hope of potential redemption. The raw power of the story and characters is very compelling. I never write reviews because the power of a movie and a great story rest in the eyes of each viewer. Some will find it too painful to watch, as it is like watching a family tragedy play out before you. But it is all too real.

• Jul 10, 2020

A most gutting movie marvel. No fantasy or frivolity here but a fantastic sickly welcome fear. Harrowing yet glorious in its efficient conveyance of grief and aggression This film is an education in how to offer up your winded stomach, share a self-inflicted gash in your head, as you willingly walk the painful shoes of parental grief and the evils of colonisation (for those who don't know what that is. Just watch this to be an instant educated being!)

• Jul 04, 2020

Una poderosa película sobre una familia Maori en Nueva Zelanda donde se muestra la dura vida de los barrios en ésa cultura. Es una película que muestra cómo el alcoholismo, la violencia y el machismo existe en todas las culturas y donde la educación y las ganas de salir de ése ambiente son la llave para lograrlo. No podrán pedir mejores actuaciones, el realismo y la dureza con la que todos los involucrados expresan sus sentimientos, cómo sus interacciones y ademanes muestran más que simplemente lo plasmado en el guión es exquisita. Una película que hace que todas las emociones que uno ve, las sienta y sufra con todos los personajes, tanto los buenos cómo los malos, éste tipo de cine es visceral y poderoso en verdad.

• Jun 28, 2020

One of the greatest dark dramas of all time. Exceptionally real and is astounding given the budget of the film.

• Dec 04, 2019

• Apr 26, 2019

greatest drama movie of all time! best acting u would see

greatest drama movie of all time! best acting u would see

• Apr 26, 2019

A beautiful and very powerful think piece. A wonderful opening scene showing the difference between an advertised New Zealand vs the conditions the people are forced to live in. There is enough Maori culture represented for someone to see how they live but enough left out so you can relate it to any other ethnic outcast with money issues which makes the film work. It made me cry multiple times for all the right reasons.

• Oct 27, 2018

This made me cry in a different way than I usually cry at sad movies. I also love the musicians/artists showing local music that I didn't know and their talents that should be more popular. It reminds me of why I loved the Cosby Show.

• Jul 25, 2018

A powerful punch in the guts. Several actually! A raw movie, so far from my reality as "Mad Max" could be, which by the way, this film reminded me.Pretty choice movie.