Race to Witch Mountain Reviews

• Dec 09, 2020

In Disney’s never-ending quest to remake everything from their past, Race to Witch Mountain is one movie that kind of came and went with very little notice. I recall thinking it was decent when I saw it in the theater, and returning to it now, I still found it to be a moderately enjoyable adventure film. I tend to connect with movies where the heroes are on the run, and they do a good job here at telling that type of story. Dwayne Johnson shows that he is an endearing hero, and I think his rapport with the kids was solid. They make a point of sprinkling action throughout the movie, since there is very little in the way of plot. I’ll admit that there are some serious flaws in the logic of Race to Witch Mountain. Most notably, there are several times when people do something stupid or out of character with no justification, and I was scratching my head. However, this is the kind of movie that had enough entertaining elements that I was able to shut off my brain and have some fun with it. I was also surprised that they did such a solid job of justifying why these kids were here, and explaining the importance of their mission on Earth. I won’t say that Race to Witch Mountain is brilliant, and it’s been so long since I saw the originals that I couldn’t possibly compare the two, but I liked what this film delivered and don’t regret watching it again.

• Jul 13, 2020

Despite a talented cast, it lacks heart and originality.

Despite a talented cast, it lacks heart and originality.

• Jun 26, 2020

Great watch, will watch again, and can recommend. Mixing "The Rock" style action with alien super powers from quality child actors and fun story of believable obstacles (for a Sci-Fi story), and some fantastic scenes turns out really well. While you could call "plot armor" or "powers of convenience", its more of just writing and establishing shots. Overall the movie is just a lot of fun, produced and executed on a high level without going overboard. Thinking back, it reminds me of "The Runaways" quite a bit.

• Jun 20, 2020

It is a great remake with a talented cast. The kids were surprisingly good. As a fan of the original, I had a blast.

• Jun 05, 2020

It was a pretty good movie.

It was a pretty good movie.

• May 18, 2020

Don't waste you're time. You won't remember this movie in a week.

Don't waste you're time. You won't remember this movie in a week.

• Mar 25, 2020

It's louder and less original but its definitely entertaining.

It's louder and less original but its definitely entertaining.

• Jan 29, 2020

Race to Witch Mountian tries but tries too hard.

Race to Witch Mountian tries but tries too hard.

• Nov 23, 2019

On its own right, this is a mediocre vehicle (almost like a beat up cab) for the Rock; as a reboot, it's a downright travesty of the original film, reversing course on everything that made ESCAPE something memorable and magical: Replacing the two winsome leads with a couple of charmless Aryan robots in the background, updating the FX to lesser effect, and inexplicably shifting the narrative focus off the mysterious children to the cliché adults.

• Oct 06, 2019

This is the 5th movie in the series and the first in 14 years. I loved the original movie growing up. This is a mediocre addition to the franchise, but it isn't completely terrible. It doesn't have the charm of the original 1975 version, but it's fun enough to watch. It's clearly aimed at a younger audience, as were the originals. Lots of Easter eggs, like an appearance by UFO author Whitley Strieber.