Read My Lips - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Read My Lips Reviews

½ January 11, 2015
Surprising and refreshing.
½ January 11, 2015
Carla is a deaf secretary in a property firm. Overworked and bullied by her male colleagues, she is asked to take on an assistant to help with her workload. Carla is insulted, but agrees and employs ex-con Paul. He's inexperienced, knowing only the life of a petty criminal, but Carla covers for him and gets him a place to stay away from the hostel he has been placed in. In exchange for her kindness, Paul agrees to help Carla gain revenge on her male bullies, progressing her career and status in the company. When it comes time to repay the debt, Carla is dragged into the criminal underworld where she joins forces with Paul to rob a local loan shark.
This is a clever character study of two very different people thrown together and how they react with each other. Emmanuelle Devos gives a great performance and subtly conveys Carla's outsider status. Great sound design showing her audio perspective as she tunes in and out of the real world. Cassel shows Paul to be the chancer he is belying confidence and machismo.
Once again a great twisting tale from Jacques Audiard directing a film that shifts from one theme to another quite seamlessly. One minute corporate espionage, next a romance, next a heist film. With this many facets, it would be easy for the film to get lost in identity, but it never does thanks to the intriguing leads.
Encore bravo Jacques. Yet to find a film of his I don't like.
½ December 10, 2014
Good story, directing, and cast.
½ August 29, 2014
The sexual tension between Vincent Cassel and Emmanuelle Devos is palpable in this intense thriller. Half a star deducted for the disappointing ending but I look forward to seeing more of Jacques Audiard's films.
July 14, 2014
The first half of the movie is a brilliantly made, greatly acted, original and delicate story about a troubled woman who finds relief and hope in a man totally different from her.
The second half is a trivial thriller.

It could have been a marvellous movie... and that makes it even more disappointing.
March 6, 2014
I really love how Jacques Audiard makes movies, The way he cares about details as a viewer with the subjective close-shot. The fellow of the movie is very smooth, it's like there was no blocking and staging during the shooting. The character progression and how Carla ( Emmanuelle Devos ) changes during the movie are established perfectly, the need to change shows with 2-3 scenes. This is a second movie I saw this week that used sound effect greatly to help the story, but in this movie with not having any sound in some parts. Overall, the movie is about relation between Carla and Paul and how they influence each other...with the surprise and suspense in the plot, enjoyable movie.
December 16, 2013
Great film with an interesting plot and great acting. Cassel and Devos are dealing with very different characters here and it's a perfect mach. Great character building and a pleasent development creates no room for unnecessary moments - always interesting and pretty to look at. I like the hearing aid effect, even if it feels a bit overused at times.

Entertainment of high class with a romantic touch. It get's gripping, tense and keeps you interested at any time. Audiard was - and still is - a great director, and I must give the rest of his (for me) unseen work a go in the future. A great film that is just the way I like my thriller dramas.

8.5 out of 10 shirt smellers.
May 28, 2013
One of my favourite movies ever! A Jacques AudiardÔ(TM)s classic! Beautifully gripping thriller / romance hybrid. A MUST SEE! BELTER!
March 30, 2013
Outstanding. Suspenseful with a good twist at the end.
½ December 6, 2012
A romantic thriller that do everything opposite to what Hollywood would do.
November 27, 2012
Director Audiard somehow manages, with the help of a perfect cast, to create an intimate and sensitive love story within a tense action thriller. It works.
November 13, 2012
Good indie drama. Enjoyed the plot and the chemistry between the protagonists.
½ November 12, 2012
viewed on 14/9/04

I was feeling frustrated watching this. The main plot and the subplots did not seem to promise a neat closure. I was about to give up on this psycho-sexual thriller when in the final 15 minutes or so, everything just fell into place. It has a satisfactory wrap-up. Nothing really feels forced. It turns to be a rather smart heist film.

I can see the potential of turning this into a Hollywood box office hit.

Rating: B
Expected Rating: B
October 27, 2012
Vincent fucking Cassel
½ October 7, 2012
A superb thriller, with excellent performances by Devos and Cassel. The chemistry between those two is so growingly palpable that, in the end, it's almost explosive. Devos' character is remarkably well done; her complexity, her shyness, her longings, etc, are very compelling, thanks to he direction and sound design, which are able to show to us her "world". I really recommend it.
September 17, 2012
Great performances all around and a slow second act (and thriller typical third act) away from being an amazing character piece.
½ September 3, 2012
Solid if unspectacular character study, thriller hybrid. Audiard's unique visual tendencies (tons of handheld, extreme close-ups and edge-of-frame compositions) are on full display. The sound design is top notch.
August 18, 2012
Everything is so subtle and elegantly paced
August 9, 2012
I could (and will) watch everything Audiard directs. Get to know this guy. He's bringing French cinema back in a big way and has an entire country behind him, cheering him on, the national. He tore up Cannes this year with Cotillard. El Prophet is one of my favorite films I'm blown away I don't own.
August 2, 2012
This is actually a movie that i never suspected to have such a depth in its story line . perhaps i wouldn't have believed if I haven't seen it by myself . nice work..honest and good.