Read My Lips Reviews

• Dec 08, 2016

I feel like all these kinda french quasi-thrillers are overrated, but they aren't bad by any means. They're just way overrated. They almost always have pacing problems and story problems. But they're well-acted and do enough clever things. Anyway, see it. It's good.

• Jan 11, 2015

Surprising and refreshing.

Surprising and refreshing.

• Jan 11, 2015

Carla is a deaf secretary in a property firm. Overworked and bullied by her male colleagues, she is asked to take on an assistant to help with her workload. Carla is insulted, but agrees and employs ex-con Paul. He's inexperienced, knowing only the life of a petty criminal, but Carla covers for him and gets him a place to stay away from the hostel he has been placed in. In exchange for her kindness, Paul agrees to help Carla gain revenge on her male bullies, progressing her career and status in the company. When it comes time to repay the debt, Carla is dragged into the criminal underworld where she joins forces with Paul to rob a local loan shark. This is a clever character study of two very different people thrown together and how they react with each other. Emmanuelle Devos gives a great performance and subtly conveys Carla's outsider status. Great sound design showing her audio perspective as she tunes in and out of the real world. Cassel shows Paul to be the chancer he is belying confidence and machismo. Once again a great twisting tale from Jacques Audiard directing a film that shifts from one theme to another quite seamlessly. One minute corporate espionage, next a romance, next a heist film. With this many facets, it would be easy for the film to get lost in identity, but it never does thanks to the intriguing leads. Encore bravo Jacques. Yet to find a film of his I don't like.

• Aug 29, 2014

The sexual tension between Vincent Cassel and Emmanuelle Devos is palpable in this intense thriller. Half a star deducted for the disappointing ending but I look forward to seeing more of Jacques Audiard's films.

• Jul 14, 2014

The first half of the movie is a brilliantly made, greatly acted, original and delicate story about a troubled woman who finds relief and hope in a man totally different from her. The second half is a trivial thriller. It could have been a marvellous movie... and that makes it even more disappointing.

• Dec 16, 2013

Great film with an interesting plot and great acting. Cassel and Devos are dealing with very different characters here and it's a perfect mach. Great character building and a pleasent development creates no room for unnecessary moments - always interesting and pretty to look at. I like the hearing aid effect, even if it feels a bit overused at times. Entertainment of high class with a romantic touch. It get's gripping, tense and keeps you interested at any time. Audiard was - and still is - a great director, and I must give the rest of his (for me) unseen work a go in the future. A great film that is just the way I like my thriller dramas. 8.5 out of 10 shirt smellers.

• Jun 06, 2013

I really love how Jacques Audiard makes movies, The way he cares about details as a viewer with the subjective close-shot. The fellow of the movie is very smooth, it's like there was no blocking and staging during the shooting. The character progression and how Carla ( Emmanuelle Devos ) changes during the movie are established perfectly, the need to change shows with 2-3 scenes. This is a second movie I saw this week that used sound effect greatly to help the story, but in this movie with not having any sound in some parts. Overall, the movie is about relation between Carla and Paul and how they influence each other...with the surprise and suspense in the plot, enjoyable movie.

• May 28, 2013

One of my favourite movies ever! A Jacques Audiardâ(TM)s classic! Beautifully gripping thriller / romance hybrid. A MUST SEE! BELTER!

• Mar 30, 2013

Outstanding. Suspenseful with a good twist at the end.

Outstanding. Suspenseful with a good twist at the end.

• Dec 06, 2012

A romantic thriller that do everything opposite to what Hollywood would do.

A romantic thriller that do everything opposite to what Hollywood would do.