Reservation Road - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Reservation Road Reviews

½ August 1, 2016
Some stories can be extremely compelling and make for truly heart-wrenching drama, but no matter how real the story is or how much we feel for the characters, there are only so many angles and so many ways to tell a story. After a school residual, The Learner family stops to get gas and their 10 year old son goes to release fireflies by the side of the road. At the same time, a man returning from the Red Sox game is more interested in his cell phone than the road, and runs the young boy over. From there on the movie is as you would expect it to be. One side is devastated while the other is in cover up mode. The police investigation, vigilantism, bereavement, and the justice system get involved in what turns out to be little more than a lifetime movie of the week. Joaquin Phoenix is fantastic as the grieving father out seeking revenge, in the kind of performance that really makes you feel for the guy, but aside from that, Reservation Road is just a very predictable film that is out for one thing, your tears. It's a sad story told from every possible angle, covering every possible thing that could happen in a situation like this, and it's definitely preaching about the dangers of distracted driving. If not for the huge cast, this could have easily been a lifetime movie, as the writing was that predictable and amateurish. The bottom line on Reservation Road is that it's a preachy, predictable, tear-jerker, without much substance, probably not worth your time unless you like that kind of thing.
½ March 28, 2016
I want this man found.

A man recently separated from his wife and adjusting to his custody arrangements accidentally strikes and kills a little boy on his way home one night with his son in the car. He tries to cover it up but the incident weighs heavily on his conscious...especially when the father brings the case to his firm for him to research...

"Can you hear music if you're in heaven?"

Terry George, director of Hotel Rwanda, Standoff, A Bright Shining Lie, and episodes from the television series The District, In Treatment, and Luck, delivers Reservation Road. The storyline for this picture is thorough and well done and the script and scenes are solid. The acting is perfect and the cast includes Joaquin Phoenix, Jennifer Connelly, Sean Curley, Mark Ruffalo, and Elle Fanning.

"Where's mommy?"

I randomly came across this on Netflix and decided to watch it for the first time. This was fairly solid and well done; although, a bit predictable. I enjoyed the conclusion and thought it was fairly well done. This isn't a classic that stands out strong in the genre, but it is well created and worth your time.

"I deserve to go to prison."

Grade: B-
½ February 12, 2016
This is a horrible sad depressing movie. There can be no winner in this awful movie. Why do people make creepy movies like this. Almost 90 % of movies are not worth watching and this is much worse than others.
December 29, 2015
Reservation Road is an amazing film. It is about the lives of two families that change forever after a fatal tragedy takes place on Reservation Road. Joaquin Phoenix and Mark Ruffalo give fantastic performances. The screenplay is well written. Terry George did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and mystery. Reservation Road.
½ September 20, 2015
Kind of slow but meaningful. Own up to your mistakes.
½ May 27, 2015
A brutal, unwatchable drama that just gets more and more depressing by the minute. I know, I know, dramas can be depressing, but they should be GOOD too. Reservation Road's story is too simplistic to stand out.
January 2, 2015
Great drama with some thriller moments aswell. Story was very good and superb acting of all the cast. Joaquin Phoenix have always made good movies so far. If u looking for a good drama this one won't let u down , i enjoyed it.
December 2, 2014
A drama at its own standards with an atmospheric blandness and Hollywood cheese as the coating of unresolved improbability, overshadowing the performances of the cast. (B-)

(Full review coming soon)
October 10, 2014
Weak script with serious problems.
August 12, 2014
Deeply touching drama about the effects of the tragic death of child has on all those involved. Excellent performances from a fine cast portray reactions that one could see ones' self having. All critics (this site) have called it excessively maudlin, how could the death of a child not cause such extreme reactions?
August 13, 2013
Joaquin is lucky to be paired with Ms. Connelly, what a woman.
½ July 2, 2013
A dramatic tale about tragedy and fortitude, showing perspectives from 2 different fathers who only have in common their love for their sons. Quite moving, really.
June 16, 2013
Watching this movie on Father's Day made this movie a little closer home in my heart. Yes, fathers do go through the grieving process and suffer (sometimes in silence) too. Moral tales remind us of what it means to be human and although there is no element of surprise nor exceptional performance here, it is good to be reminded to navigate vigilantly on our moral compass every now and then.
April 21, 2013
Really good film that gives you an insight into the trauma people suffer through tragic incidents, great film
April 1, 2013
one of joaquin's best movies in recent times. it is one of those movie's that is well thought out and makes you think how you would handle such tragic circumstances. it is well casted and you feel for joaquin as a grief stricken dad bent on revenge but at the same time you feel for mark ruffalo as a guilt stricken dad that comes to hate himself for what he has dad. one of the best scenes is when joaquin relaizes that mark is not worth his time or energy and he will justruin his own life by exating reve meanwhile mark cant take it anymore and is begging for joaquin to kill him. saying you cant hate me any more than i hate myself. do it just do it i dont want to live! wow! so intense!
½ February 23, 2013
I really wanted to like this since I read the book,but I found it kinda boring.
February 11, 2013
If I have to see one more movie about a dead kid, the hunt for the killer, and the killer's own inner struggle; I'm gonna vomit. More wasted talent than ever with this fugly looking film. Why would Phoenix, Ruffalo, and hottiest of hotties Jennifer Connelly sign up? And Terry George decides to follow-up Hotel Rwanda with this? Bad decisions all around. What kills me more than anything is the trailer's poor attempt at build up of drama and tension and then we cap it all off with a (gasp!) gunshot sf/x. Lame goddamnit. Lame.
January 22, 2013
very emotionally distraught film, obvious given the subject matter.
Wasn't totally gripping since i found myself doing other nonsense tasks while watching.

People will complain about the ending. trust me they will.
½ December 10, 2012
Um debate moral desgastante. O diretor Terry George apela para diálogos emotivos frágeis, que passa a ser o sustentáculo para um suspense psicológico artificial.
½ December 1, 2012