Rock the Kasbah Reviews

• Jul 11, 2020

I stumbled on this movie on HBO and watched it mainly cause it had Bill Murray in it. That part and the fact that it had other big names in it worked to give it a try and glad i did. No, it's not theater price worthy. Yes, it has it's whatever made up pattern it follows. However, it's a good movie that you should watch. REALLY DISREGARD all the big critics BS about it. I read them after the movie and thought, "so what". It has a story based loosely on real events and I'm glad I watched it and know that story now. Hopefully you will too.

• Jul 10, 2020

Entertaining with a nice blend of humor and drama, dropping the viewer into the realities of contemporary Kabul. The editing was a little choppy, especially in the first half of the movie, but made up for by Bill Murray's omnipresence.

• Apr 15, 2020

I was intrigued by the description of the storyline of this movie, and by the actors involved in it, and I wasn't disappointed. An interesting premise in an unusual setting - and more based in reality than I had assumed. There was a female Pashtun contestant in the finale of the third season of Afghan Star, and Setara Hussainzeda, to whom the movie was dedicated, was a female performer eliminated in an earlier round who received death threats for dancing. The mixture of goofy and deadly was somewhat odd, but it didn't ruin the movie for me. In addition to the characters and acting I also enjoyed the music. The movie was something different, in a good way.

• Apr 04, 2020

Very entertaining. The critics didn't like it. Glad I don't listen to them. Only Bill Murray could make this work as he did. It's not supposed to be Good Morning Vietnam, it is its own genre of subtle humor. Relax and enjoy it.

• Mar 12, 2020

If you like the ramblings of Bill Murray, you will like this movie. All of the other characters in the movie, both funny and heartfelt, are for his benefit. The only one I struggled to like was played by Bruce Willis.

• Mar 01, 2020

I actually enjoyed this movie.

I actually enjoyed this movie.

• Feb 09, 2020

People just don't get it. It's a small movie that plays better on tv than in the theater. The leads give their best, and the extras are very convincing. Just watch it, and stop the constant hunt for the next blockbuster.

• Jan 12, 2020

If you have eve been to Afghanistan you willl enjoy this movie. VET rates.

If you have eve been to Afghanistan you willl enjoy this movie. VET rates.

• Jan 11, 2020

Horrible waste of talent. Terrible idea, bad directing, abysmal dialog, The worst cinematography....and Bill was just Bill.

• Jan 10, 2020

This film fails on so many levels but let's start wth a basic one. Casting Bill Murray in a barely modified rendition of his SNL lounge lizard character from the 70s into a film set in the 20 somethings in wartorn Afghanistan should have been a red flag for somebody. Did someone actually stand up in a Hollywood production meeting and say, "That's a great idea! It'll do wonders for Afghan-American relations!"? Then you spend nearly an hour waiting for the central thesis of the movie to appear, i.e., Murray finding a talented but cloistered Afghan girl to star in a local ripoff of "American Idol." Maybe in capable hands something could have been salvaged from this silly idea but the director in this case could not have salvaged a meal at a Golden Corral. Wasting the talents of McBride, Willis, Deschanel and Hudson should be some sort of movie-making war crime also. Notice I did not add Murray's name to that list. I'll summarize the film this way; it is the cinematic equivalent of our foreign and military policy in Afghanistan.