The Rules of Attraction - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Rules of Attraction Reviews

½ October 16, 2016
A lot of style over substance.
September 5, 2016
An portrayal of idiotic students living mediocre existences in the psychological warfare era of college liberal arts degree fraud. No character has an ounce of value. The white kids would have been better off serial killers in this film. No redemptive value whatsoever. This is what happened to a generation on prescription pills with too much time on their hands. If white genocide were real, this film is a wonderful portrait of why it's necessary.
½ August 4, 2016
weirdly both interesting, and utterly devoid of any hooks or likability. All characters have irredeemable qualities and putting them in this loose loose thread of a plot was utterly pointless, yet there were a few glimmers here and there, but it's most inexplicable.
June 7, 2016
This is the wildest movie I've ever seen.
½ March 18, 2016
Starts out strangely, strikingly beautiful, especially the beguiling sequence before the credits, but it kind of flattens out and gets muddled over its running time, and ends up hinging on an underdeveloped relationship that I just couldn't bring myself to care about, between two characters both played by charisma-vacuums (though Sossamon has an amazing laugh, and Van der Beek does a good Kubrick glare). My initial enthusiasm petered out disappointingly, but there was still enough interesting, entertaining stuff to come out overall a positive experience.
½ February 3, 2016
This movie goes nowhere, just like its main characters.
½ January 9, 2016
Happened to give this another look this afternoon, and I can happily report that it holds up extraordinarily well and manages to capture the flavor of the original material rather well, in spite of the various narrative voices that the novel has.

The casting is great and the typically unemotional characters floating through Bret Easton Ellis' over-indulged and lost world are well-realized here.

½ December 29, 2015
One of those horrible movies where you wish all the characters committed suicide. Disgusting.
October 30, 2015
Reviews be damned! The characters are certainly not the most likable people on Earth, but the direction from Roger Avary is absolutely astounding when all is said and done. The split screen montage is beautiful and the suicide scene is insanely hard to watch in the best sort of way. This is teenage realism to a disturbing level.
½ September 30, 2015
The film version of Ellis' "Rules of Atraction" is an excellent movie. I read the book and was excited to see how it came to life on screen. Secretly I thought I would be dissapointed, but it was the opposite. I loved it. All of the performances are fantastic. There is inventive and interesting camera work. The soundtrack is great. In all I think it is a tight movie. I recommend it and people who think otherwise missed the point.
½ June 18, 2015
Bad people doing crappy things but not the horror show it's made out to be.
½ June 2, 2015
It's super cool and wacky, but The Rules of Attraction is also really cruel. You want a movie with low-life, mean, hedonistic, unsympathetic characters? You got it. I enjoyed the movie for its style and provocativeness, but it's up to you if you can handle a bunch of bratty college kids obsessed with sex and drugs and drugs.
May 13, 2015
Smart, Origninal, moving, and funny. "The Rules Of Attraction" jusy maybe the best movie to ever portray college life. It's a shame not many people know about it. It's a fucking good movie. Very interesting characters and story. And who would have thought that pretty boy James Van Der Beek would be a bad-ass??? I didn't see it coming. Well, well.
April 18, 2015
College life to a tee. Avary directs and adapts Brett Easton Ellis' novel with precision and style.
½ March 26, 2015
Vile, devoid of morals or interest. Foul script with characters we really can't like or care about.
February 28, 2015
A cold, bitter, insane, dark comedy that manages to subvert the romantic genre, as well as showcase Roger Avary's unique and inventive filmmaking skills, and I loved every second of it. I have to give him mad props for truly bringing this batshit crazy world of these complex, appropriately frustrating characters to life, without making them seem one-note, or conventional. And even when these characters are making some legendarily terrible choices, you still feel for them. This is a movie that has some strange, extremely zany moments, but you can't help but to find them believable in this messed up world that Roger Avary builds so well. James van der Beek is fantastic in the lead role, giving what could have easily been an annoying, tiresome character a real sense of loneliness, while Clifton Collins Jr. and Ian Somerhalder steal nearly every scene they have. This is a strange, daring film that I really can't recommend enough, check it out.
February 15, 2015
One of my favorite movies. Odd, disturbing and yet hysterical.
½ December 9, 2014
Una porquería de película, peor que dos horas de Bob Esponja.
½ June 27, 2014
Dark, depressing, and not entirely fair portrayal of the human condition run wild. It's lord of the flies meets college, with sex being the weapon of choice perpetrated against one another. VERY Bret Easton Ellis.
June 1, 2014
- I've seen this one many times, I've lost track of how many. From Roger Avary who got an Oscar for co-writing "Pulp Fiction", this is a stylistic film, and it's based on a book by Bret Eaton Ellis who wrote "American Psycho", the lead character in this film is the brother of Patrick Bateman. Good soundtrack and lots of laughs, it is also dark at times. Give it a try.

- An underrated little film, I love the soundtrack.