The Rules of Attraction - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Rules of Attraction Reviews

January 13, 2018
Great movie that pretty much sums up the aspects of college life.
½ January 6, 2018
Funny and Intriguing. Victor's Euro trip tour is classic!!!
November 16, 2017
The tale of adult children whose coming-of-age stories came and went, passing them by without the saving grace of a moral compass.
September 5, 2017
If only the movie was as hip and artistic as it boldly waves in your face. (Hey look at me I'm hip indie cinema)
May 3, 2017
Not the best movie I've ever seen, but amusing in it's ridiculousness and twists of fate, with a Chekov-like round robin of sexual attraction that leaves everyone yearning for someone they can't have and being entirely unsatisfied. What I didn't like is the rather cavalier treatment of the serious subject of campus rape.
December 21, 2016
Despite the great soundtrack, decent performances and expert direction, this film based on Bret Easton Ellis feels a bit sterile, depicting with clever irony the moral decline of our society but not as effective in making us relate to its shallow, unlikable characters.
½ October 16, 2016
A lot of style over substance.
September 5, 2016
An portrayal of idiotic students living mediocre existences in the psychological warfare era of college liberal arts degree fraud. No character has an ounce of value. The white kids would have been better off serial killers in this film. No redemptive value whatsoever. This is what happened to a generation on prescription pills with too much time on their hands. If white genocide were real, this film is a wonderful portrait of why it's necessary.
½ August 4, 2016
weirdly both interesting, and utterly devoid of any hooks or likability. All characters have irredeemable qualities and putting them in this loose loose thread of a plot was utterly pointless, yet there were a few glimmers here and there, but it's most inexplicable.
June 7, 2016
This is the wildest movie I've ever seen.
½ March 18, 2016
Starts out strangely, strikingly beautiful, especially the beguiling sequence before the credits, but it kind of flattens out and gets muddled over its running time, and ends up hinging on an underdeveloped relationship that I just couldn't bring myself to care about, between two characters both played by charisma-vacuums (though Sossamon has an amazing laugh, and Van der Beek does a good Kubrick glare). My initial enthusiasm petered out disappointingly, but there was still enough interesting, entertaining stuff to come out overall a positive experience.
½ February 3, 2016
This movie goes nowhere, just like its main characters.
½ January 9, 2016
Happened to give this another look this afternoon, and I can happily report that it holds up extraordinarily well and manages to capture the flavor of the original material rather well, in spite of the various narrative voices that the novel has.

The casting is great and the typically unemotional characters floating through Bret Easton Ellis' over-indulged and lost world are well-realized here.

Recommended.
½ December 29, 2015
One of those horrible movies where you wish all the characters committed suicide. Disgusting.
October 30, 2015
Reviews be damned! The characters are certainly not the most likable people on Earth, but the direction from Roger Avary is absolutely astounding when all is said and done. The split screen montage is beautiful and the suicide scene is insanely hard to watch in the best sort of way. This is teenage realism to a disturbing level.
½ September 30, 2015
The film version of Ellis' "Rules of Atraction" is an excellent movie. I read the book and was excited to see how it came to life on screen. Secretly I thought I would be dissapointed, but it was the opposite. I loved it. All of the performances are fantastic. There is inventive and interesting camera work. The soundtrack is great. In all I think it is a tight movie. I recommend it and people who think otherwise missed the point.
½ June 18, 2015
Bad people doing crappy things but not the horror show it's made out to be.
½ June 2, 2015
It's super cool and wacky, but The Rules of Attraction is also really cruel. You want a movie with low-life, mean, hedonistic, unsympathetic characters? You got it. I enjoyed the movie for its style and provocativeness, but it's up to you if you can handle a bunch of bratty college kids obsessed with sex and drugs and....sex and drugs.
May 13, 2015
Smart, Origninal, moving, and funny. "The Rules Of Attraction" jusy maybe the best movie to ever portray college life. It's a shame not many people know about it. It's a fucking good movie. Very interesting characters and story. And who would have thought that pretty boy James Van Der Beek would be a bad-ass??? I didn't see it coming. Well, well.
April 18, 2015
College life to a tee. Avary directs and adapts Brett Easton Ellis' novel with precision and style.