Save the Last Dance - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Save the Last Dance Reviews

October 26, 2018
I loved this movie in high school but I see it differently now. I think it's a shame they didn't do their own dancing (unlike in Step Up) and some of the story serves too many clichés. But there is value to it and the acting is really great.
October 22, 2018
This movie has always been one of my favorites. It is a classic that touches on many familial circumstances. From a young white girl, named Sara, rekindling her relationship with her father after her mother's unexpected death, to a young black male, named Derek, with only his grandmother as a parental figure just trying to make it home alive every night. Both coming from diverse backgrounds and having different dreams and aspirations, Derek hoping to become a pediatrician and Sara deciding to audition for Julliard school of dance. The high schoolers bond over the clash in their taste in music and their overall culture. This movie emphasizes society's acceptance of interracial relationships and the struggle faced by teen moms, lower class students, and the effects of gang affiliation. I rate this movie with 5 stars because it is relatable in many ways and a movie I can watch over and over with its 90's R&B music, it's exciting yet heartbreaking to see all that these high schoolers face.
October 19, 2018
This movie has always been one of my favorites. It is a classic that touches on many familial circumstances. From a young white girl, named Sara, rekindling her relationship with her father after her mothers unexpected death, to a young black male, named Derek, with only his grandmother as a parental figure just trying to make it home alive every night. Both coming from different backgrounds and having different dreams and aspirations, Derek hoping to become a pediatrician and Sara deciding to audition for Julliard school of dance. The high schoolers bond over the clash in their taste in music and their overall culture. This movie emphasizes society's acceptance of interracial relationships and the struggle faced by teen moms, lower class students, and the effects of gang affiliation. I rate this movie with 5 stars because it is relatable in many ways and a movie I can watch over and over with its 90's R&B music, its exciting yet heartbreaking to see all that these high schoolers face.
July 18, 2017
The casting director is a legend and the composer is good. Every output from those two factors the acting and the musicality are the film's strengths. any other focus drags the film down.
July 6, 2017
Ghetto, but Julia is alright. Attractive at times
June 8, 2017
Its well cheesy, but i love this film!
May 19, 2017
Julia Stiles cool in really really cool movie- this is really great
½ February 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 17, 2017
Completely predictable coupled with horrific acting from the female lead and obscene amounts of cultural appropriation. Though the premise of the film was not all bad, the execution was cringe-worthy. The only saving grace was the acting of the male lead and female supporting actress
January 14, 2017
This teen romance flick feels like a predictable rehashing of other movies.
September 5, 2016
Finally got to see this box office winner. Much better than I expected. Kerry Washington is terrific in this interracial love story about a ballet dancer who moves to Chicago after her mother's death, and meets a smart young man from the wrong side of the tracks. Always entertaining.
½ July 24, 2016
Not a terrible movie. Good message to little boys and girls.
July 16, 2016
i suck at dancing. hehe
½ June 30, 2016
You never forget your first dance movie
June 25, 2016
This was the first movie to try and put hip hop dance and ballet dance together to make something beautiful. This was also the movie to cross racial lines and bring together a white woman and a black guy to try and make their love strong to last.
½ June 22, 2016
One of my favorite dance movies. Not your typical boy meets girl.
May 10, 2016
I dunno... It looks kinda good.
April 14, 2016
this movie is really good
January 24, 2016
Mildly want to see it--only cause Stiles is pretty hott
December 26, 2015
Its a perfect movie anyone would enjoy it.