School for Scoundrels - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

School for Scoundrels Reviews

June 12, 2017
This movie is funny in some parts and Billy Bob Thornton's performance is amazing, as expected. However, certain skits and jokes seem to be dragged out past the point of being tolerable. Even at a fairly short 100 minutes, this movie feels like it's 10 minutes longer than it really has to be.
June 6, 2017
Pretty funny, and solid performances from the entire cast. It just doesn't stand out, but it is different than your usual comedy and the supporting cast is a bunch of talented comedians today, including some of the best out there. It's worth a watch especially since its on Netflix.
June 4, 2017
This was a standout performance for Stiller, though he was a relatively minor character. Truly the best character I've ever seen him perform. The rest of the movie has its ebbs and flows, but director Todd Phillips is able to pull off a very underappreciated dark romantic comedy.
May 28, 2017
2017-05-28 pretty stupid
April 12, 2017
4/12/2017: Meh. A pretty decent cast, but not that funny. It's amusing at best.
½ October 22, 2016
Pretty funny. A lot like Anger Management and Mr. Woodcock.
½ June 15, 2016
Loaded cast! Billy Bob teaches a class of losers how to be men and get the ladies. Billy can't resist the napoleon dynamite stars crush and from there, the beef is on! Thorton Takes balls off the head from point blank range in an intense tennis match is just the tip of the iceburg in this war. Enjoy!
May 6, 2016
School for scoundrels is my number 1 favourite movie. Upon closer inspection of its themes, it critises the Political Correctness of modern society. Taking in its viewpoints changed the way I live my life. It challenges society's dismissil of id for superego, and shows the journey of a group of emascalated 'losers' get back intouch with their natural human instincts to start gettting more out of life.
January 19, 2016
Stupid and cliche. It wasn't funny or romantic and it lacked subtlety or a good script. In fact this movie actually pissed me off.
½ December 6, 2015
Following his Old School Road Trip, and long before his epic Hangover, Todd Phillips went back in time to remake the classic School For Scoundrels, with disappointing results. The story follows an insecure loser in love, who takes a class on how to become more appealing to women. His teacher is a total player, who teaches the class to the best of his abilities, but in the end, he has the same goal as the others, and ultimately falls for the same girl as the loser. When seeing a Todd Phillips comedy, that is unrated, and features Billy Bob Thornton, you should expect to see a raunchy good time, but that's not what happens here. To Phillips, keeping as close to the original story was more important than modernizing it for today's audiences, and the result was a film that fails to live up to expectations. This film needed a major injection of raunch, the kind Thornton became known for in films like Bad Santa. Instead you get what amounts to an average, mediocre, comedy. In this film, Thornton is paired with Jon Heder, Napoleon Dynamite himself, but as with that film, his monotone lovable loser act, gets old very quickly. This film has all the makings of a wild ride and a terrific comedy, but instead it falls flat on it's face, as just another ordinary, run of the mill, romantic comedy.
½ September 17, 2015
One or two laughs but a whole lot of missed chances.
½ August 15, 2015
Has Some Decent ( Slapstick) Laughs, But Isn't Consistent. Very Hit & Miss.
June 16, 2015
Billy Bob Thornton in perfext roles, with a decent script. This was about as good as this movie could have been.
May 21, 2015
I love this movie, it has so many laughs, and a good story to go along with it. Everyone must see this, even if your not a fan of Billy Bob or Jon Heder...
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
A comedy movie but its not many fun scenes actually. Its about Roger (from Napoleon Dynamite) and hes kinda a looser and nothing work out for him. So he begin in a school where he teachs/learns to be a better man and dare more in his life. Billy Bob Thorton plays the tricky teacher and we see a small role with Ben Stiller aswell. Overall a decent movie but not as funny i thought it should be.
September 25, 2014
A great start and promising premise is undone by a saggy 2nd half and drippy conclusion.
½ September 8, 2014
Close, but definitely wrong.
December 30, 2013
I thought I'd hate this movie but it turned out I really liked it. It was funny but it wasn't stupid either I thought it was a great idea for a movie and I really didn't see anything wrong with it.
½ December 28, 2013
Jon Heder and Billy Bob Thornton both play the same character they usually do in a predictable but entertaining comedy. (First viewing - Late 2006 in theaters)