Shall We Dance - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shall We Dance Reviews

November 9, 2016
No doubt this movie lacks the story's crust just when the whole heated dance could have been worked out with a better story line.. although Richard was no high level match for Jennifer there.. but what the movie portrays at the end is the truth.. an interest.. developed in better ways and in the end the dance is not taken as a dating measure but as a way to find happiness in.. as the character was searching for.. so I give it a 5 star.. touched me well!
October 14, 2016
again its JLO WHAT IS NOT TO LOVE
September 9, 2016
Richard Gere plays a man who is essentially a happy man with a good life, but who secretly starts taking ballroom dancing lessons to energize his life, increasingly guilty at hiding this from his wife (Susan Sarandon). Stanley Tucci is a comedic scene-stealer as a co-worker who has been trying to keep his passion for flamboyant dancing a secret. (An American remake of the Japanese movie by the same title.)
April 16, 2016
Funny, good to watch. A few dead moments and good story ending.
December 28, 2015
Exactly like you'd expect a Jennifer Lopez, Richard Gere film to be.
November 25, 2015
Richard Gere plays a suburban husband that is bored with his every day life and looks for some new excitement in his life
½ July 29, 2015
I Found Lopez Irritating & Postumus. The Others Were Alright...But Peter Gabriel Saves It In The End, Making All But The Hardest Hearts Crack Open To Its Fluffy Charm. The Story Shuts Up Shop Soon Thereafter...Montaging It Down Without Much Left In The Tank..As You Do.
July 8, 2015
Let me start by saying, I am a huge fan of Susan Sarandon, JLo, and Richard Gere, but their performances in this film were surprisingly average. Also, the movie started off strong, but got worse as it progressed. My biggest complaints however, are the characters and the plot. I did not at all connect to the characters. We hardly learned anything about them until maybe the very end, and they were not all that complex. The plot was even worse. The movie started off with a man hitting on a younger woman although he was married, and this continued for about half of the movie, then the plot just automatically changed and it was all about a dance competition. What started off as a movie about a tired marriage TOTALLY changed into a dancing movie. I was so confused as to why there were two different plots that shifted so fast and did not at all connect with one another. I suggest only watching this movie if you are a big fan of dancing, or a cast member because the plot was just not exciting.
½ May 7, 2015
Clone of the Japanese version with the same name yet less funny.
March 23, 2015
Always love to see Richard Gere dancing. Feel good movie about finding something you're passionate about, can put a spark back into a mundane routine.
February 22, 2015
more than a bit over the top but Gere is as likeable as ever
½ January 19, 2015
A cheesy, mostly bad movie. Richard Gere and great choreography almost make up for it though.
½ January 17, 2015
A great dance movie.
½ December 1, 2014
I don't know what's worse...the fact I watched this movie or the fact I watched this movie...

Richard Gere plays a man going through a midlife crisis who decides to take up dancing with J Lo as his insturctor....
a romance ensues between the 2 during dance lessons. It's cheesy predictable and Gere overacts.

I'm a Gere fan but this was one of the cheesiest films I've ever seen.

Susan Surrandon was wasted here also.
November 18, 2014
Funny, charming and inspirational, Shall We Dance delivers a talented well-rounded cast including Richard Gere and Jennifer Lopez.
½ September 1, 2014
Good try, but no cigar.
September 1, 2014
?????????????????????????????????????????
½ August 14, 2014
Such a feel good movie. Richard Gere dazzles in a role that nobody can replace. I have not seen the original Japanese version so there is no comparison to be made. But this American remake is funny, enthusiastic and not overly cheesy. I also like the fact that there is no extra marital story between the student and the teacher. Recommended for a Saturday evening.
July 28, 2014
"Shall We Dance" benefits from the charming performances from Richard Gere, Jennifer Lopez, and Susan Sarandon who give this film the requisite energy like its impressive dance sequences. Despite its feel good appeal, the film plays things too safe and does not delve into any deeper or cultural context.