Shirkers Reviews

• May 14, 2020

This re-purposing of old footage brings new perspective and made it even better than what the film could have been if it was not disappeared when it did. Mid way through we begin to see the director's unapologetically narcicisstic tendencies confirmed by her friends. Altogether a very refreshing picture and narrative that takes us back in time.

• May 10, 2020

This footage actually creepy as hell. The mysterious reasons caused by George forever live in Sandi Tan, why he kept the records for 25yrs. Surprisingly, it becomes a masterpiece for Singapore film history. A must watch!!

• Mar 31, 2020

A compelling story. A little hard to get into at the beginning, but just give it a minute or several. A crazy story.

• Dec 15, 2019

Wonderful and mysterious tale of a series of unlikely events and personalities.

Wonderful and mysterious tale of a series of unlikely events and personalities.

• Oct 20, 2019

An incredible real story, told a raw and poetic voice of visionary real life character. The way it was shown is so unique and full of beauty. A sensitive masterpiece build of an unbuild one.

• Jun 11, 2019

Had to turn it off after only 5 minites. It was very annoying, especially the music.

• Mar 22, 2019

Shirkers has a lot going for it, and it seems a very personal project by its director Tan. I.had only seen the poster when I went to watch it, so I had no idea what I was in for. I really liked it.

Alec B Super Reviewer
    Jan 19, 2019

An incredibly moving portrait of failure. By the end, this documentary turns out to not just be a requiem for a lost piece of art, but for lost time, friendships, and places.

• Jan 09, 2019

I didn't get this one. No matter how hard I tried to like it, I found it to be a self-indulgent, narcissistic film about a single person's experience trying to define themselves in relation to a significant event in their life. The narration is overtly dramatized with the intention of bringing excitement to an otherwise bland story. The only theme that could have possibly redeemed this film, it's significance in the history of Singaporean cinema, comes across as an afterthought, a footnote to the narrator's grandiose story telling about her own life, which is the focal point of the film. By the end- yes, it ends- she is still lost but finds solace in the fact that she got to see all her friends by making this documentary. You may be thinking 'Really? That can't be the only point. Surely there must be something more about this film to demand such critical acclaim.' Unless there is some backstory I'm not getting, you will be acutely disappointed. Sometimes the lost parts of our past aren't meant to be found or, in this case, even searched for.

• Dec 25, 2018

Truth is stranger than fiction, here. A truly moving & fascinating documentary and the best movie I've seen this year. As soon as it finished, I started it from the beginning again, and the lost world described within haunted me for days.