Steel Magnolias Reviews

• Nov 28, 2020

This film boasts a cast of some of the greatest actors spanning two generations: Olympia Dukakis, Julia Roberts, Shirley MacLaine, Sally Fields, Sam Shepherd, Anne Wedgeworth, Daryl Hannah, and one national treasure, Dolly Parton. To say it is fluff or a piece of character-driven, meandering ensemble work, is to miss the point that this type of storyline is riveting for a lot of women. It's a story about the joyous ups and tragic downs of life, and how it's virtually impossible to navigate them without friendship. I can't imagine giving this film a bad rating unless those ideas are odious to you. The execution is superb. There are moments that are pretty theatrical, at times you feel like you're watching a stage play, and some of the banter can sound dated, but there's so much craft and the writing is rich enough that you get totally sucked in. I watched this movie with my 14-year-old daughter, because I remembered it got great reviews when it opened. I realized that she's never seen a movie like this, one that is so intergenerational, that highlights the friendships of older women, that paints a world more vividly. The fact that it doesn't have a more traditional plot structure is in the "plus" column, as far as I'm concerned. I came on rotten tomatoes to find a cast list. Was super disappointed to find the low ratings for this classic 80's film about female relationships. But given our current ideological backslide, I'm not entirely surprised.

• Sep 08, 2020

Lame chick flick that I almost fell asleep. Some people like this movie for some odd reason but I don't.

• Jul 11, 2020

Kind of boring but the performances are good.

Kind of boring but the performances are good.

• Mar 29, 2020

I love this Movie I always got the movie mix up with Fried green tomato why ?I was younger at the time and I use to tell the older people to go see the wrong movie Obviously I did not know the difference between Steel Magnolia and Fried Green Tomatoes Movie a regrettable moment.However I love Steel Magnolia Movie over Fried Green Tomatoes a much watch movie.

• Mar 22, 2020

Such a wonderful movie, it is sad, funny and cute❤️ I love it

Such a wonderful movie, it is sad, funny and cute❤️ I love it

• Mar 01, 2020

Terrific cast in this aimed Chick Flick with county & western singer Dolly Parton the surprise stand out for me. An emotional final act brings on the tears and connects the whole film.

• Jan 30, 2020

Beautiful characters...loved every minute of it!!

Beautiful characters...loved every minute of it!!

• Dec 26, 2019

I love it, one of my favorites!

I love it, one of my favorites!

• Nov 22, 2019

another amazing ensemble female cast; Dolly Parton, Sally Field, Daryl Hannah, Julia Roberts, Shirley Maclaine, and Olympia Dukakis tells the story of a close-knit family in Louisiana with a beautician finding work at their salon soon she becomes entangled in their unique, complicated, and odd lives Roberts plays a newlywed who wants to get away from her overbearing mother, Hannah plays the new local hoping to excel in the beauty business, Parton is the head of the salon with a rebellious son, Maclaine is a cranky curmudgeon still reeling from a messy divorce, and Dukakis is Clairee a former first lady of sorts Roberts wants to start having a family but considering she's a diabetic her mother worries she won't make it so it naturally creates a wall between the two very nice supporting roles by a few of the male players too including Sam Shepard and Dyan McDermott the film has really well-put-together characters, fascinating dynamics, and the melodrama works when it has to is there such thing as natural beauty?, if you can achieve puberty you can achieve a past, we all have to move on and when we have families we can all carry a piece of immortality with us, men are supposed to be made out of steel but both men and women aren't invincible trying to put off the inevitable a wonderful film about the sisterhood of these women making it through the trials and tribulations of their many phases all of us have equal great moments and hard moments but it's like we're magnolias; we bloom almost every day

• Nov 05, 2019

This movie is a classic. A must see for all generations.

This movie is a classic. A must see for all generations.