Stir of Echoes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stir of Echoes Reviews

October 25, 2017
A decent cinematic ghost story that while not the most terrifying does manage to keep the viewer interested in the mystery as it builds. There are some truly captivating scenes in here and Kevin Bacon delivers in the acting department. However, this is not a perfect film. The plot is a little bit on the stock side and a bit lighter on the suspense than one might hope, but otherwise great.
October 10, 2017
Kevin Bacon is excellent and the story is great.
½ October 5, 2017
Kevin Bacon elevates the movie from being a generic haunted house story.
September 27, 2017
A slow, predictable fizzle.
September 26, 2017
A spooky lost gem that deserves more attention.

Kevin Bacon plays a man who is trying to quit smoking. Simple enough. He's talked into being hypnotized as a means to help him quit. Instead it seems to awaken his latent psychic powers and he's put into contact with the spirit of a dead girl who needs help.
August 13, 2017
8/12/2017 (2): A pretty good horror flick. Wasn't really scary, but a bit creepy! Pleasantly surprised.
July 15, 2017
Solid film. Excellent performance from Kevin Bacon. Great actor.
½ April 6, 2017
Watching this now....creepy
December 5, 2016
It's labeled as a horror/mystery. It's fine horror, but a poor mystery. There are way too many blatant misdirections for any reasonable person to get a whiff of where it's going. The story greatly benefits from being short, even by 90s standards.
½ August 20, 2016
This was a memorably decent horror thriller.
½ July 15, 2016
With a brilliant performance from Kevin Bacon, the film is entertaining and suspenseful at the same time.
June 23, 2016
In recent years, supernatural horror has become about gore and jump scares, these movies aren't scary anymore! Paranormal Activity, The Grudge, The Ring, are you kidding me?! Those movies were terrible! They don't make movies like Stir of Echoes anymore, this is a supernatural thriller, that was truly unsettling and creepy, the kind of film that defines what supernatural horror should be. Tom & Maggie are celebrating moving into a new house, and as the party is winding down, Maggie's sister claims to know something about the supernatural. Tom (Kevin Bacon) is a complete skeptic, so she offers to hypnotize him and see what happens. Reluctantly Tom agrees and after seeing some strange flashes, Tom wakes up unsettled but still a non-believer. Over the next few weeks, Tom continues to see strange images of a girl asking for his help and believes his sister in-law messed with his mind somehow. Once convinced that she had nothing to do with it, Tom decides to investigate and try to find out, who this girl is and why she's asking for help. This movie is truly scary because depending on what you believe in, this could be 100% real. Kevin Bacon is one of those actors who when he is in the right role is better than anyone, and this role is perfect for him. Bacon had me on the edge of my seat and it seemed as thou this movie just flew by. I wanted to know who this girl was and what happened to her just as much as he did. As for the paranormal stuff, it wasn't bloody, gory, and out of nowhere but it was just as creepy. This is the kind of film that left you jittery and uneasy for hours afterwards, the definitive horror movie. Bad reviews had me skeptical, but I am a skeptic no longer, Stir of Echoes will most definitely be included in my next Halloween movie marathon!
½ March 23, 2016
D+
Lackluster movie, very little suspense, bad screenplay
March 7, 2016
I saw this when it first came out, and many years later I had a dream about it. so i had to watch it again. It's not as creepy as I remember it, but it was still a well thought out story and had some interesting imagery. I laughed my head off at the kicking the bucket scene.
February 15, 2016
A lot of what goes on in this movie has become standard for most horror movies these days but back in '99 this movie was fresh. Kevin Bacon is a king and this movie is fucking awesome. Check it out on NetFlix if you've never seen it before. Good stuff.
December 31, 2015
Does it hurt to be dead?"

A man and his wife have a special little boy that sees a ghost in the house they live in. Meanwhile, the wife's sister believes in the ability to hypnotize and the husband allows himself to be her target at a party. Beginning that night he can see the same ghost as his son. The father and son work together to release the ghost from their property.

"I don't want to talk about this because it scares mom."

David Koepp, director of Secret Window, Premium Rush, Ghost Town, The Trigger Effect, and Mortdecai, delivers Stir of Echoes. The storyline for this movie is very interesting. There are many dark and eerie scenes and the characters are interesting. The cast includes Kevin Bacon, Kathryne Erbe, Illeana Douglas, Zachary David Cope, and Kevin Dunn.

"He'll stick it in a bowl of soup if it's warm."

I came across this on Netflix recently and decided to give it a viewing for the first time in a long time. I liked it better now than when I had previous watched this. It was entertaining and fun to watch unfold. This is clever and does have some unique elements. This is a must see for fans of the horror genre.

"They're going to kill you."

Grade: B
½ December 26, 2015
psychic phenomena grounded in real psychology. Very well acted and directed.
½ December 18, 2015
"Stir of Echoes" has always lived in the shadow of other 1999 supernatural blockbusters ("The Sixth Sense," "The Mummy"), but it is a surprisingly good ghost story. Kevin Bacon is underrated as an actor and drives this entire story with strong acting and intense facial expressions. He receives decent support from the rest of the cast, particularly Kevin Dunn, but the majority of the film falls on Bacon. With films like "A Few Good Men," "Mystic River," and "Apollo 13" under his belt, it is amazing that he isn't more commonly recognized as a great actor. While the premise of the story has less real-world believability than other supernatural films, it is still enjoyable for what it is. Just don't be misled by the film's synopsis, which paints it out to be more of a thriller. Many of the creepy elements of this story and the way in which they are presented could give you nightmares if watched right before bed! The entire digging sequence is awesome and emphasizes Bacon's desire to move on from the unfortunate events of this story. "Stir of Echoes" wasn't the best supernatural film of 1999 but it is absolutely worth watching for its interesting premise, relentless suspense, and a few really good twists at the end.
December 8, 2015