Stir of Echoes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stir of Echoes Reviews

February 14, 2019
Overshadowed by a close release date with The Blair Witch Project, this movie is a must see for fans of the horror and more specifically, supernatural/thriller genre.
½ December 22, 2018
Came out after the Sixth sense and haven't seen it. 20 years later, this film does work on the theme of seeing dead people. A theme well taken over 5 years later by Ghost Whiperer. Very good film convincingly played.
December 15, 2018
Great movie as far as acting, artiscally, ambience & the premise of the story very believable. I thought it could have gone a little lighter on the curse words. Otherwise a very good piece of art...all good actors!
½ November 28, 2018
A nice entry in the supernatural mystery/thriller genre, featuring always well-performing Kevin Bacon. The film itself is well-crafted and holds your attention. Even though it answers all the questions in the end it still leaves a faint lasting vestige after the viewing. But the suspension is on a high level, increasingly growing towards the ending, which, combining with the first-rate performance from Bacon are the salient features of the film, which is well worth viewing.
August 22, 2018
4/5. The second act has a few problems, but Kevin Bacon gives an amazing performance singlehandedly carrying this film to 4 stars.
July 8, 2018
Great cast and great story.
The song Paint it Black is featured a lot but never do they have Kevin Bacon play the whole song. That is my biggest complaint.
It is dark and a real thriller. It makes me think of 9th Gate with Johnny Depp. If you like that one you should check this one out.
Good mystery and some good jumps and worthwhile.
October 25, 2017
A decent cinematic ghost story that while not the most terrifying does manage to keep the viewer interested in the mystery as it builds. There are some truly captivating scenes in here and Kevin Bacon delivers in the acting department. However, this is not a perfect film. The plot is a little bit on the stock side and a bit lighter on the suspense than one might hope, but otherwise great.
October 10, 2017
Kevin Bacon is excellent and the story is great.
½ October 5, 2017
Kevin Bacon elevates the movie from being a generic haunted house story.
September 27, 2017
A slow, predictable fizzle.
September 26, 2017
A spooky lost gem that deserves more attention.

Kevin Bacon plays a man who is trying to quit smoking. Simple enough. He's talked into being hypnotized as a means to help him quit. Instead it seems to awaken his latent psychic powers and he's put into contact with the spirit of a dead girl who needs help.
August 13, 2017
8/12/2017 (2): A pretty good horror flick. Wasn't really scary, but a bit creepy! Pleasantly surprised.
July 15, 2017
Solid film. Excellent performance from Kevin Bacon. Great actor.
½ April 6, 2017
Watching this now....creepy
December 5, 2016
It's labeled as a horror/mystery. It's fine horror, but a poor mystery. There are way too many blatant misdirections for any reasonable person to get a whiff of where it's going. The story greatly benefits from being short, even by 90s standards.
½ August 20, 2016
This was a memorably decent horror thriller.
½ July 15, 2016
With a brilliant performance from Kevin Bacon, the film is entertaining and suspenseful at the same time.
June 23, 2016
In recent years, supernatural horror has become about gore and jump scares, these movies aren't scary anymore! Paranormal Activity, The Grudge, The Ring, are you kidding me?! Those movies were terrible! They don't make movies like Stir of Echoes anymore, this is a supernatural thriller, that was truly unsettling and creepy, the kind of film that defines what supernatural horror should be. Tom & Maggie are celebrating moving into a new house, and as the party is winding down, Maggie's sister claims to know something about the supernatural. Tom (Kevin Bacon) is a complete skeptic, so she offers to hypnotize him and see what happens. Reluctantly Tom agrees and after seeing some strange flashes, Tom wakes up unsettled but still a non-believer. Over the next few weeks, Tom continues to see strange images of a girl asking for his help and believes his sister in-law messed with his mind somehow. Once convinced that she had nothing to do with it, Tom decides to investigate and try to find out, who this girl is and why she's asking for help. This movie is truly scary because depending on what you believe in, this could be 100% real. Kevin Bacon is one of those actors who when he is in the right role is better than anyone, and this role is perfect for him. Bacon had me on the edge of my seat and it seemed as thou this movie just flew by. I wanted to know who this girl was and what happened to her just as much as he did. As for the paranormal stuff, it wasn't bloody, gory, and out of nowhere but it was just as creepy. This is the kind of film that left you jittery and uneasy for hours afterwards, the definitive horror movie. Bad reviews had me skeptical, but I am a skeptic no longer, Stir of Echoes will most definitely be included in my next Halloween movie marathon!
½ March 23, 2016
D+
Lackluster movie, very little suspense, bad screenplay
March 7, 2016
I saw this when it first came out, and many years later I had a dream about it. so i had to watch it again. It's not as creepy as I remember it, but it was still a well thought out story and had some interesting imagery. I laughed my head off at the kicking the bucket scene.