Strike Up the Band Reviews

• Sep 06, 2018

Strike Up the Band is a decent film. It is about Jimmy Connors and his girlfriend want to take part in Paul Whiteman's high school's band contest. Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Busby Berkeley did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the humor and romance.

• Jun 13, 2017

A bit over the top, but a grand production. Props for highlighting New Rochelle.

• Aug 24, 2014

How can you not fall in love with these two?!???!?! Such an amazing pair. One of the best of Hollywood in my opinion. There are never teams like this on the big screen anymore. Judy Garland sings so amazing (as always) in this. Mickey Rooney is so good and can hold his own across Garland. Yes it is a musical and yes its awesome! The music is great, the singing is cute and the dancing is fun. I loved every second. :)

• Apr 11, 2014

The energy and talent of Judy Garland & Mickey Rooney, and some good production numbers ("Our Love Affair," "Do the La Conga," "Nobody") compensate for the overlength and schmaltz of this MGM musical.

• Sep 17, 2013

Another cute romantic comedy starring the immortal duo of Garland and Rooney. This one has several great songs, a funny animated sequence involving instrumental fruits, and entertaining choreography. While the story is predictable at times, the end result is pleasing.

• Jan 09, 2011

Wow wow wow... I didn't know Mickey Rooney could play the drums soooo well. Like he says, this movie was "swell"

• Aug 18, 2010

The play in the movie was very boring and unnecessary - cut that and its great! Endinging made me cry - I'm such a sucker for it!

• Feb 14, 2010

Delightful story, with some wonderful musical numbers and songs, as well as Mickey Rooney?s boundless energy and Judy Garland?s immense talent. Fun, well produced and touching. A great and memorable classic.

• Feb 14, 2010

Delightful story, with some wonderful musical numbers and songs, as well as Mickey Rooney's boundless energy and Judy Garland's immense talent. Fun, well produced and touching. A great and memorable classic.

• Nov 18, 2009

Cute movie. The music is catchy, a little cliche, but what do you expect from a musical and an older movie. Still entertaining!!!