The Sum of All Fears - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Sum of All Fears Reviews

½ April 20, 2018
A cowardly film, written and made by cowards. The original Muslim terrorists from Tom Clancy's novel are nerfed to a boring generic group of fascists so as not to offend Muslims. A movie about a nuclear detonation excludes the detonation...not really sure why. We see wind etc but the actual destruction of the football stadium is never shown, which is pure cowardice on the part of the director and producer. The movie is filled with melodrama, Affleck isn't leading man material and the romance, oh the romance, is horrible.
½ April 11, 2018
affleck is dwarfed by a mesmeric freeman in every scene they're in; he's so forgettable as jack ryan he could easily be replaced by a block of sandstone without much difference. the dialogue is awfully corny, the unfortunate actors visibly struggling to deliver it. but the biggest flaw is the cold war rebirth plot is truly uninspired.
½ April 7, 2018
A bit of a dull Jack Ryan movie here. Movie is all confusing yakathon, until the big one hits, then it;s a confusing tthriller yakathon. Movie just jumps from one situation to another, making me head hurt mostly.
½ March 31, 2018
?A solid thriller with a great cast minus Ben Affleck.
August 31, 2017
3/5. While The Sum of All Fears lacks the emotional weight and thrills the first three Jack Ryan film had, I think it gets a bad rap because it came out so soon after 9/11. It has a great performance from Morgan Freeman and Ben Affleck does a fine job. The film also goes from 0 to 100 very effectively, and has it's moments. Not great, but underrated.
½ June 2, 2017
Sum of all Fears more like sum of what kind of standoff. The movie has an all star cast with Ben Affleck and Morgan Freeman. I felt like I was watching War Games meets Godfather. There was no suspense or substance on the big screen, maybe the book was better. It was okay to watch once.
½ March 5, 2017
A bit too talky, and doesn't pay any heed to the continuity of the three earlier films.
September 25, 2016
Great to see during these paranoid times if you like death and despair.
September 8, 2016
Average and forgettable, but enjoyable in the moment.
July 13, 2016
The Dark Affleck years
½ June 9, 2016
although performances by Ben afflack and Morgan freeman are impressive sum of all fears movie adaptation disgraces the original novel of the same name
June 3, 2016
good #3 in the jack ryan franchise
May 8, 2016
A good thriller given more impact by the post 9-11 atmosphere. Closest a film adaptation has gotten to the actual feel and experience of a Tom Clancy novel.
½ March 1, 2016
The Sum of All Fears is a decent suspense film, although it follows the basic outline of its predecessor, The Hunt for Red October. (Jack Ryan is correct in his estimation of a Russian's motives, no one else believes him. He races against the clock to prevent a war and prove he's right.) Ben Affleck is not nearly as interesting in the role as Alec Baldwin, or even Harrison Ford. He might as well be nameless Action Man.
½ February 25, 2016
Aquí es cuando la cosa empieza a fallar con la franquicia de Ryan. No es que Alec Baldwin no pudiera ser un buen Ryan, pero quizás su personalidad proyecta más que el propio personaje en sí. Aun así hace un trabajo correcto, aunque no tan genial como por ejemplo el de Ciarán Hinds.

No mejora mucho la cosa esa terrible sensación de mediocridad que tengo viendo la película. Al menos desde el punto de vista visual.

Al menos tiene un ritmo trepidante y los últimos momentos de la película son entretenidos.
½ December 12, 2015
An above average war thriller that has a good story, tense pacing, explosive visuals and decent acting.
November 19, 2015
I think for me, this movie fails in a way, I think Ben Affleck is a terrible Jack Ryan, and sometimes hard to follow. It fails in story and even in a political issue. The only good thing was the bomb explosion. This movie lacks and dissapoints. So for this being a poor version of the Jack Ryan books and movies, I give " The Sum Of All Fears " a D.
November 8, 2015
Once the dullness sets in, it remains pretty unrelenting
September 13, 2015
your average action-drama. Ben Affleck before anything serious he made.
August 28, 2015
Too extreme setting and Ryan is a little different. Not well storytelling.