Summer in February Reviews

• Aug 25, 2019

I really enjoyed the film -- thought the two male leads were great and the story tragic, and all too real. How many times have two men fought for the same woman, with the charismatic/flighty one initially winning her and the safe chappy waiting in the wings? I was a little disappointed with Emily Browning's performance/character -- although pretty, 'Florence' lacked substance and personality.

• Jan 28, 2019

Summer in February is better than what most people say though it’s still not a amazing film. The biggest problem is the pacing in the first act is a bit slow. The stories been done before but the acting is great with good cinematography. If you enjoy period Pieces it’s a decent one to watch though there is probably nothing here you haven’t seen before.

• Nov 23, 2018

A tragic mistake but a beautiful film. Very well acted with gorgeous cinematography. It really touched me. If you don't know about social mores in that period, though, you probably wouldn't understand why they just didn't get the marriage annulled or get a divorce, but at that time, all three of them would have been ostracized completely and their lives totally ruined. It just wasn't done.

• Oct 22, 2016

It would be an unsatisfying film, if it weren't based on a true story. The tragedy is so unbearable, you don't want to accept it as well-structured story. But it is true, and that redeems it. The performances, particularly by Browning and Stevens, are indelible.

• Sep 09, 2016

A true feeling or a genius, who would you choose among them to be your life partner! Biographical films do their job depicting the real events, but the way they were transformed to the screen matter a lot, This one was decent as a film, but as a someone's real story I was impressed. I learn about the world and its famous people by watching films. I did not know this person, so thanks to the film. It centres on the three people as seen them on the poster, but mostly Florence's perspective that beautifully played by Emily Browning. She was introduced by her brother to his circle where she develops a true feeling for one and later decides to marry another for the different reason. The remaining film narrates her life falling apart and can she make it all right to the end. Being a biopic is what its strength, but the story is another version of many films and the people around us. The cast was great, but Emily Browning was on the top of the show. Shot in beautiful places, and I loved the background score. These things make it worth a watch, but if you are interested in the art and artists, you might enjoy it well. If you decide to watch out of the interest, make sure you keep low expectation, especially for the final part. Because people are disappointed how it ended than what it revealed. In a biopic they can't change just to please the viewers, instead the viewers have to learn to accept the truth. My issue was the filmmaking, I was not that impressed with that. It was adapted from a book of the same name, but the film narrated only a few years of the life of Florence. Especially around her romance and marriage life, prior to that events are not known. So that makes the story too familiar compared with the other films. It should have improved a bit with the additional details out of the original source. A small research would have helped them on that. Other than that this film was quite interesting with some unexpected development in the important portion. So it can be watched once, but you won't remember for a long. 6/10

• May 31, 2016

Steady love-triangle drama.

Steady love-triangle drama.

• May 27, 2016

A tragic English romance. Yet another movie made by a book and failed to deliver. At least the acting is superb.

• May 14, 2016

quite interesting story

quite interesting story

• May 06, 2016

summer in february not that unusual if u live in the southern hemisphere but here make a period pic about UK artists/painters in the merchant/Ivoray tradition and well made too.

• Jun 14, 2015

I should have read the critics comments before watching.

I should have read the critics comments before watching.