Sunshine on Leith - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sunshine on Leith Reviews

August 11, 2016
When the proclaimers are on the radio and your dad turns up the volume you know nobodies safe from the singalong that soon follows and now they're on the big screen featuring a cameo from the duo themselves, they really have cemented themselves in British culture. The singing is as expected, first class particularly a joyous rendition of I'm on my way, early on and there's also plenty of humour. Unfortunately the dialogue becomes a bit soppy and broonsesque as the film progresses, but that's a minor hiccup in one of the best feel good films of this year.
July 29, 2016
Well acted, twists, romance. beautiful scenery.
June 10, 2016
I didn't know what to expect from this one, I watched it just because it has one of my favourite actors, Peter Mullan. I was surprised to find out it was a musical, I was even more surprised to find i liked it. Based on songs by The Proclaimers, it is intelligent and well acted. Give it a try!
June 3, 2016
stunning film and great humour with tunes you'll sing along too
½ April 10, 2016
Aw, I know I'm a sucker for musicals but I loved it! The first scene is outside the place in Constitution Street where I used to get my nails done and there are loads of other scenes filmed just around the corner. Nice to see Peter Mullan in something which had a few happy moments in it for a change. Bawled my eyes out though. But what's with the American salute from an ex-British Army soldier?
½ April 5, 2016
Inventive musical which elevates otherwise ordinary and seen before relationship dramas.
March 17, 2016
This is the beat musical film based on the best songs by The Proclaimers.

my favourite movieš???
February 15, 2016
Pretty good, once you get over the idea of people bursting into song at the drop of a hat. Fiercely Scottish, and with a slightly hackneyed feelgood plot. Nicely acted - and sung.
January 28, 2016
WOW.....WOW....SUCH AN ENJOYABLE MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH SUCH A FANTASTIC CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE IT IS SUCH A FANTASTIC MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH SUCH A BRILLIANT CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT SOME SCENES THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE....... ITS GOT SUCH A FANTASTIC SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE IT IS SUCH A BRILLIANT MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH A BRILLIANT CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE........
January 1, 2016
A Superb film, with a magical ending!!
December 30, 2015
A really well crafted film. Not easy to incorporate these songs into a story-line, but this works so well.
November 30, 2015
Dexter Fletcher directed musical drama/comedy set in Edinburgh, Scotland.
The film focuses on two returning soldiers and their tangled love and family lives, all to a backdrop of musical interludes.
The film shows the fantastic Edinburgh scenery in a way that Alex Salmond (SNP) would be proud.
I actually felt part way through the film that I was listening to a The Proclaimers album on a repeat loop. What happened?
The film ends with the casts own versions of perhaps the two greatest hits of The Proclaimers using tourists as random extras.
Definately not the worst film you are likely to watch but not my cup of tea.
½ August 1, 2015
Great to get a sneak peak at this and what a bonus to meet the director, Dexter Fletcher, in person too!! Feel good, smiley, singalonga musical!! A must for any Proclaimers fan!!!!
May 26, 2015
Nowadays the musicals are just a headache. When I see a movie like this, I feel those are the time long gone, and its a sci-fi world. Day by day dreaming to get the movies like 'Dancer in the Dark' and 'The Phantom of the Opera' is fading away. This film could have made a good impression if it was a regular drama-romance, maybe. Good performances and nice music tracks did not influence to lift the entertainment value, at least not to me.

It was based on the musical stage play of the same name. Did well in the English box office, but not that good in the outside. About two young army men return to the home after the service in Afghanistan and try to blend back in where they have left. Trouble in relationship and family issues, followed by going after the dream job across the sea, all come into play, solving all these puzzle brings the end to the movie.

Despite a result as I expected, still somehow I felt the movie was not bad at all. That is maybe because of the film's setting that takes place in the backdrop of the capital of Scotland and style of cool presentation with a moderate pace. The rest was good show by the all lead casts probably had a lift up a bit. Like I said it was about usual episodes that occur in a group of known to each other, but belong to different families and dreaming different future. So how the differing thoughts in mind repels and unites them all was told reasonably well.

6/10
½ May 8, 2015
If you like Edinburgh and the Proclaimers, this is for you
½ April 23, 2015
The Proclaimers' music is nice, and undeniably cheery, but I've never listened to this much in one go before, it was always a small doses thing. But, this is a very, very nice film. It should be said that the opening scene is something extra special, a cut above the rest of the film. The remainder is liberally sprinkled, if not quite smothered, with cheese. Beautiful light, wonderful city scenes. Could have been more, but nice anyway.
½ April 5, 2015
Harmless enough film but where this film fails in a massive way compared with Mamma Mia is the songs feel forced and like the writers went we have a song about America how can we fit this in. The performances are ok but I finished not really understanding some of the character choices and again it felt lead by the music rather than a compelling story to underpin it.
April 3, 2015
Great feel good film, with happy endings
February 13, 2015
Enjoyable film. The music of The Proclaimers was put to good use. What stood out the most to me, was the finale, showcasing Edinburgh on a sunny day.
½ February 2, 2015
Sunshine on Leith has a real beating Scottish heart and some of the most joyous set-pieces of any recent musicals in the form of "Over and done with" and "500 miles"