Sweet Land - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sweet Land Reviews

October 22, 2016
4 stars. Beautiful little film that is extremely timely. A tad too wholesome for me to completely love but still a great piece of humanism.
August 2, 2016
What a really sweet and lovely movie. The two main leads have such a lovely chemistry. I would love to see Reaser and Guinee do another romantic movie or maybe a TV show together. My only minor complaint is that they show partial nudity then after teasing us with longing furtive gazes between the two we don't get at least one passionate kiss and embrace between them. Great movie nonetheless.
February 22, 2015
This was a sweet, simple love story.
July 28, 2014
A film for anyone who can appreciate the beauty in good storytelling--Meditative, passionate romance... Outstanding and Soulful!!
May 3, 2014
Sweet, moving, touching story of life and love in much more challenging times.
March 30, 2014
I cannot say enough about this movie. Every performance is fantastic. The writing is wonderful . It is such a sweet story of relationships and the goodness in people without deceit violence death.
½ February 28, 2014
The soundtrack was great. The last 15 minutes was good, but the rest of the movie was slow and uneffecting.
½ February 3, 2014
sweet, delightful film, leaves you yearning for more. not a lot of dialogue, but an intense story.
½ May 31, 2013
Worth seeking out, this bare tale of a German immigrant's attempt at assimulation in a wartime Minnesota suspicious of any foreigners is steady and sure, and beautiful throughout, not rushing to its long telegraphed conclusion.
January 30, 2013
I Thought it was a good movie yet it was lacking in some parts. I really shows how small town America can be hostile to immigrants. Especially during the period the movie takes place.
January 24, 2013
Can anybody make a sweeter movie than this? Super-clean & family-oriented, a refreshing change from the usual.. back to simpler days.
½ December 17, 2012
Chick Flick! Was bored at the beginning and enjoyed the end. So all and all not a bad flick but not a must see.
December 7, 2012
would like to see sweeties!
October 30, 2012
Sweet and simply gorgeous. Tim Guinee's performance as Olaf Torvik left me aching for Minnesota. He perfectly captured the immigrant farmer's stoic strength and subtle passion. Watch this. You'll be glad you did.
September 4, 2012
A nostaglic and intelligent film that honestly depicts immigration and relationships in 1900's America
August 23, 2012
A beautiful, old fashioned love story and a tribute to the American immigrant experience. A German mail order bride travels to post WWI Minnesota to wed a Norwegian-American farmer, but once there, she faces anti-German prejudice from the locals. A sweet, gentle movie about love growing played out under the wide open blue skies of the Mid West.
August 13, 2012
Beautifully shot, good performances, and a bunch of nice "little moments". Takes a while to really start, and ultimately doesn't add up to particularly much. Needed more substance.
½ March 19, 2012
A beautiful and heartwarming film about love that surpasses language, time and all reason. The plot is simple and the scenery is breathtaking. The characters say so much at times, without speaking at all. I was utterly captivated, this is a must see.
January 22, 2012
This movie was adorable, one of the sweetest love stories I've seen on film. I felt that the double framing around the central story was unnecessarily confusing, but otherwise a great movie
½ January 2, 2012
Sweet Land is a movie worth connecting with. Its simple and beautiful romance entangles, while the rural setting and historical backdrop compels. It is not a perfect movie, but it is one worth warming yourself with next to the fire.