Syriana - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Syriana Reviews

November 26, 2016
The dark side of world wide bussiness of black gold. Remarkable roles of Clooney and Damon.
½ October 10, 2016
So political I couldn't finish it. Maybe later.
September 11, 2016
Strong political intrigue but i shouldnt have to spent the movie on wikipedia to know who's playing who, what and why; characters are non descript, all visibly very important but onscreen, they translate as a bunch of suits and ties with twists and turns too vaguely enunciated for them to stick. The political point of the Usa messing up the whole region to keep it in shamble for its own gain is carried through but thats no thanks to the script that chuggs along without much grace, transitions or clarity
½ August 20, 2016
Demanding and completely unnerving. This film generates a mounting tension without contrivances allowing the story structure and delicate cinematography to set and maintain the tone. Beyond that, it is maddeningly thought provoking.
July 25, 2016
****
Syriana is a fast paced political thriller with an amazing cast. It's not a movie for everyone, but for those who enjoy fast paced political dialogue and don't mind paying attention for the whole run time, you're in for a great movie.
July 16, 2016
A boring film that has to tell most of the information through excessive exposition Al subtitles that are a clear representation of the director's lack of artistic vision.
April 7, 2016
This Movie is one sided and hotch potch.
April 3, 2016
Simply the best political thriller of the entire decade. And still unmatched.
½ February 19, 2016
It's diabolical to launch a missile from CIA headquarters in Virginia to kill a Prince and his family for political reasons. My guess is that our "intelligence" services do far worse than that. This is an excellent movie which should wake up the complacent, but won't.
February 7, 2016
George Clooney back in action.
½ February 6, 2016
There are some good pieces in here (including Clooney's performance), but ultimately I found it to be convoluted and forgettable. I like movies to either entertain me or make me think (the best ones do both), but this one fell a little short on both fronts.

Grade: B-
½ February 1, 2016
Tuesday, October 16, 2012

(2005) Syriana
POLITICAL THRILLER

Political film which just states the situation interwoven many stories and people which coincide with each other one way or another. With the one thing they all have in common is the demand for oil in general, using plenty of backdoor shannigans showcasing political corruption. The problem is that, one can get this kind of information either from newspapers or from on-line, made up or not, perhaps many books written about the subject can place the overall experience to be nothing new. A far superior film is "Lord Of War" which was released a few months before this one.

2 out of 4
January 5, 2016
Pretty good film about the secret political relationships between the USA and the Middle East. Getting a version where the arabic and pakistani is subtitled in English, which isn't that easy.
December 30, 2015
A movie not for stupids. Makes a intellectual and wise person think. If you're looking for a so-called 'fun' movie, this ain't for you.
December 3, 2015
Political government type thrillers are certainly not going to entertain everyone. Especially one with a really complex story about politics and oil etc.. But at least the star power in Syriana should be enough to a least draw your attention in its direction. If I didn't see George Clooney overweight with a beard in the previews of this movie I may have not given it a second thought and never saw the movie, but even if something silly like that got me to give this movie a chance, I'm glad it did. Straight from the movies opening your not really sure what you are about to dive into, but it will grab your interest for sure. A couple intertwining stories across the entire globe. From back room deals for big oil company mergers to a down on his luck middle eastern young man who turns to a terrorists group to find meaning and purpose in his life, this film seems like it is all over the place, but it is not. The stories are all interconnected and are really well done. No, at the end your not going to find out they are all related in that kind of interconnected way, but through the movie you will see how one thing affects the other like dominos. When George Clooney first started doing movies I pretty much shrugged my shoulders and just thought it was this heart throb TV star going into corny movies and it was going to be pretty much Oceans 54 by the time I hit 30, until I saw this movie. He won a well deserved Oscar for his role in Syriana, and really put the film industry on notice that he wasn't just your run of the mill good looking guy, and that he was going to be taken seriously as an actor. Some people will not have the patience to stick with Syriana because of the pace and the in depth story telling, but your missing out. This is one hell of a good movie.
November 30, 2015
½ October 24, 2015
Middle East politics and foreign policy in a nutshell.
½ August 22, 2015
Demands your attention and rewards with a very fine cast with a complex but rewarding story.
½ July 28, 2015
Intelligent and complicated.
July 26, 2015
A more than entertaining geopolitical drama that demands the viewers attention.