The Great Mouse Detective - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Great Mouse Detective Reviews

½ October 27, 2017
In terms of Disney, a lot of people would say that The Little Mermaid was the film that got Disney back to its Golden Age days with its beautiful animation, songs, and characters. But I don't think I have ever heard anyone acknowledge this film at all. This particular more darker (Not as dark as The Black Cauldron though), mysterious, and overall more action-packed film is what I believe brought back Disney from their financial failures. I remember loving The Great Mouse Detective as a kid, and I still can definitely appreciate it to this day (Even if it can't compete with films like Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, etc.) Excellent Animation, Compelling Characters (Basil and Ratigan are the best of the bunch), An awesome score, and a climax that may rank as one of the best in Disney history! Recommended for all ages and all Disney Fans who haven't picked this one up yet.
October 26, 2017
great 1986 Disney animated film for my childhood, I love this movie so much
½ August 24, 2017
Often seen as Disney's most underrated animated feature or an often all together forgotten entry to the disney animation class line. Basil the great mouse detective is never the less a fresh spin on the sherlock homes "genre", with -a talnted voice cast, fleshed out charecters, intresting plot line and some impressive visuals- it's a film on a budget done right. Vincent price potraying the titular moriarty esque professor ratigan is the cherry on top. With every line delivered a delight, it's no supprise to learn this is his favourite role of his career, with his renditions of "good bye so soon" and "worlds greatest criminal mind" being featured regularly featured in disney villian song top tens. With the definning voice of the horror genre finaly cementing his rightful place as a member of the disney villian cannnon, it's hard not to see why Basil the Great Mouse Detectiver is widely regarded as the catalyist for the Disney renaissance.
½ July 10, 2017
While the movie may lack the proper mystery element that would normally be found in its genre, the humor and writing are really witty, the animation during the climax is stellar and arguably revolutionary, the main protagonist and antagonist are two of the greatest characters Disney has ever written, and the voice acting is just phenomenal. Easily the greatest animated film Disney released in the 1980s.
½ June 24, 2017
I found this Sherlock Holmes mouse version to be entertaining enough, not spectacular but watching Basil solve his case was a little fascinating for an above average Disney animation.
May 22, 2017
I was only a baby around this time, but from what was read in the Art of Walt Disney, there were people having an all out battle over the control over the company. Disney was literally stuck in the dark ages a few years after Walt's death! Then, Micheal Eisner took over, he handed the animation department over to Walt's nephew Roy, and from there, he brought us this instant classic!
April 25, 2017
The animal animation of Sherlock Holmes is a fun film to watch. The arrogant mouse of Basil of Baker Street is our version of Sherlock in this light hearted tale. He is an intriguing character that keeps the audience on the adventure of fun and whimsy. Fighting a game of wits against the nefarious Professor Ratigan drives the story along and keeps the audience wondering what is to come next. It isn't Disney's best outing, but it is a passable one.
February 15, 2017
Quite fun, with some interesting clockpunk(!) ideas and aesthetic (the climax, in particular), but really unsubstantial overall. Also, there was a pretty risque burlesque bit in there, which was unexpected, but maybe shouldn't have been between all the drinking and smoking, haha.
January 26, 2017
The Great Mouse Detective (1986) C-74m. ??? D: Ron Clements
Burny Mattinson. Vincent Price, Barrie Ingham, Val Bettin, Susanne Pollatschek, Candy Candido. Neatly stylish updating of Sherlock Holmes supplemented with mice and rats (and a bat!); snappy pacing, funny quips, startling casting of Price as towering arch-villain Ratigan, and entertaining songs make this Disney animated feature--though lacking depth--a satisfying adventure. Love the peg-legged bat!
½ December 19, 2016
"The Great Mouse Detective" feels more like one of the many Disney impersonators than one of the studio's own, but it's not without its charms.
½ December 17, 2016
Colourful and well-animated, with a witty if predictable script, this is one of the better late-Disney efforts. It's also helped by having a great voice cast led by Vincent Price chewing the scenery as arch-baddie Rattigan, and a nice score by Henry Mancini.
December 1, 2016
Ranks among the barely passable Disney animated movies of the '70s and '80s (most), as nothing in it feels really sufficient - not the amount of Vincent Price (whose character appears very little), nor the amount of songs (though the few ones are nice), nor the level of fun.
½ November 11, 2016
It has some creativity to it, but the songs are not catchy nor is the story.
November 7, 2016
Charming, fun, and entertaining. (And it should be named BASIL OF BAKER STREET.)
October 8, 2016
Fun, but ultimately forgettable.
September 12, 2016
Finally got a chance to see the movie I've always heard so many great things about! Loved how unique the villain was in this one and his identity issues.
September 12, 2016
A Disney piece that gives us entertainment with sinister and shadow of Sherlock Holmes
August 15, 2016
The Sherlock Holmes of Disney! The Great Mouse Detective was a great movie especially with Vincent Price as Ratigan!
½ August 12, 2016
One of the most underrated films in the vault to date, it's no wonder we've never seen this one before. After the failure of The Black Cauldron at the box office the company's future was uncertain, but animators Ron Clements and John Musker teamed up for the first time and produced this gem (Clements and Musker would go on to make The Little Mermaid and Aladdin). With a witty script and air-tight plot that will cater to children and mature audiences too, the movie borrows all the right ingredients that made the Sherlock Holmes stories fascinating. Each character has their moment to shine, even the dastardly theatrical Proffesor Ratigan, who shines in a wonderfully, gaudy musical number that's very Broadway. Most importantly, the film brings back the pure joy that was lacking in the 70's and 80's features and sets the stage for a series of Disney hits.