The Great Mouse Detective - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Great Mouse Detective Reviews

July 27, 2016
The Sherlock Holmes of Disney! The Great Mouse Detective was a great movie especially with Vincent Price as Ratigan!
½ July 22, 2016
A good natured spoof on Sherlock Holmes stories.
July 1, 2016
I'm a big fan of the great mouse detective ever since my childhood. It won't appeal to everyone thou.
May 9, 2016
The animation may be subpar, but The Great Mouse Detective gives us an amazingly dark tale with one of the most memorable villains Disney has ever made.
½ April 11, 2016
The Great Mouse Detective is admittedly too familiar and lazy in its storytelling and the film is very forgettable among the Disney flicks, but it is still a solid little film filled with some great characters with the villain being superb, excellent score, some good songs, a great charming tone to it and well executed action sequences. It is forgettable, but endearing and charming and having some great scenes here and there.
March 31, 2016
It matters not that this is animated 'Sherlock Holmes' in everything but name for kids as it's endearing with a fair story.
½ March 30, 2016
One of the most underrated Disney films in my opinion.
March 9, 2016
The art may not be top notch, but the animation is fun and this is one of the best animated Disney movies to come out of the Eighties.
February 6, 2016
The Great Mouse Detective is an overshadowed masterpiece that has largely been forgotten over the years. With memorable characters, dark themes, effective imagery, and an engaging story, The Great Mouse Detective isn't likely to be recognized as one of Disney's masterworks, but perhaps it should be.
½ January 16, 2016
Dark, but pretty good with charm, a hero, a villain, and a story full of adventure, fear, and crime. For an animated Disney version of Sherlock Holmes, this was a success.
½ January 13, 2016
The characters are brilliant and you will fall in love with Vincent Price's performance as Prof. Rattigan.
November 25, 2015
I LOVE this film! It has always been my childhood favorites! It is fun, entertaining, great characters, great music! Its AWESOME!
October 5, 2015
Ranks among the barely passable (most) Disney animated movies of the '70s and '80s, as nothing in it feels really sufficient - not the amount of Vincent Price (whose character appears very little), nor the amount of songs (though the few ones are nice), nor the level of fun.
September 23, 2015
Minor yet charming animated action-comedy featuring the most lovably narcissistic Disney character outside of Peter Pan. Good adventure elements and atypical humor make this kid-friendly Baker Street a decent place to hangout for 70 minutes.
½ September 20, 2015
Those who hold nostalgia for this Sherlock Holmes adaptation may be disappointed with renewed watching.
September 17, 2015
This is one of my childhood films, and I do still enjoy it. Do love Vincent Price.

If I had to pick a "dark age" Disney film to lump in with the classics, it's this one. The characters are very good, and play each other off very well. It's very entertaining, and it works.

It's worth checking out if you are a Sherlock Holmes or Disney fan; this is the only major moment where those two names intersect.
½ September 13, 2015
never saw this one before. cool animation and atmosphere but wish I had seen it as a kid.
August 11, 2015
The most underrated film in the Disney animated feature series. A fresh and original story, blended with it's dark visuals and eccentric characters make this outing one of Disney's most risky and yet rewarding pieces.
½ July 21, 2015
Looks more like a cartoon of the disney afternoon than a theatrical release. (Aside from some early CGI bits which look great) But the story aint too grand or involving very basic formula. The best thing about the movie is the voice acting which is really good. Its too short and not really that memorable to recommend however.
June 22, 2015
The film provides a good tribute/tone of "Sherlock Holmes" by Disney's usually good animated, family way of telling one of the cases with charms and unnecessary melodrama. (B+)