The Bank - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bank Reviews

March 14, 2013
A very clever and captivating piece. Strong performances help you understand the films layered plot.
September 3, 2011
Rendita finanziaria e matematica caratterizzano l'inizio di questo lungometraggio australiano che si trasforma in una interessante lotta morale ed etica, che capolvogerà la situazione e si trasformerà in una lauta vendetta del protagonista verso la banca, rea dell'omicidio del padre.
November 28, 2010
The best Australian film I have ever seen, The Bank is a tale of corruption, underdogs and, well, a bank. To say more at the juncture would ruin it.
½ March 27, 2010
I didn't even finished watching this film... it was so bad. I had a family member recommend this piece of crap to me...

The acting was crap, the story was... where the hell is the story?? I couldn't even work out what the hell this was about!
March 9, 2010
It's not the story that is the problem. Its the mind set of "if the cinematography is good the audience won't notice the bad acting"....WRONG!
½ February 8, 2010
Anthony LaPaglia, David Wenham are great actors who deserve better parts. The movie was enjoyable but the ending left me unstatisfied
May 26, 2009
Add a review (optional)...
February 7, 2009
Interesting enough film, but I did not think it was anything particularly special. The acting however, by David Wenham and Anthony LaPaglia in particular, is superb and the premise is original and keeps you guessing.
January 7, 2009
When I went to the Australian premier, i sat NEXT to David Wenham. Jesus! I thought I was gonna die! And the movie was great too....
½ December 19, 2008
After seeing "The Bank" back in 2002 I thought the recent travails of the financial sector was an ideal time to revisit a movie that puts moral considerations head-to-head with financial ones.

Jim Doyle (David Wenham) is a top mathematician who has developed a complex program that predicts stock market movements and corrections. He hawks it around the banks and under-pressure bank executive Simon O'Reily (Anthony LaPaglia) takes a punt on him. For Jim it is a labour of love which he sees as an ideal "warning system" to help organisations protect their interests. For Simon it is a unique opportunity to put the bank in an advantageous situation and make obscene amounts of money.

Simon will have to convince "bleeding heart liberal" Jim that taking other people's money is fair game in the trading world. Jim is countenanced by (really) sudden love-interest Michelle (Sibylla Budd) and the bank's own numbers guru, Vincent (Greg Stone).

Meanwhile, in a separate story strand, we see the financially-stricken Davis family (Steve Rodgers and Mandy McElhinney) who are struck by personal tragedy, a tragedy for which they indirectly attribute blame to the bank (although initially ambiguous, we correctly assume that it is the bank Simon runs). A reluctant solicitor (Mitchell Butel) agrees to represent them in a court case that brings the two story strands together.

Can Jim perfect his program and, if he does, will he allow Simon to abuse it for financial gain? Will he have a choice?

An Australian production, I recalled enjoying "The Bank" immensely and the years in between have done it no harm at all. Written and directed by Robert Connolly, at 104 minutes it's a well-paced and occasionally suspenseful film that is filled with simple layers of intrigue and a twist that feels just about right.

Anthony LaPaglia never fails to entertain and he is undoubtedly the star of the show here. He's always comfortable on screen and convincingly pulls off lines like "I'm God, but with a better suit", then later on shines in a Pacino-style rant when faced with a life-or-death situation.

Wenham has had his film success too albeit with smaller roles ("300", "Van Helsing", parts 2 and 3 of "Lord of the Rings", "Moulin Rouge") and he is absolutely fine here. His romance with the annoying Michelle is necessary for the story but it never really clicks.

In parts the movie lacks subtlety. The director casts the most ordinary actors in terms of talent and looks in order to portray the Davis family as "Everyman" as possible. It's also pretty obvious that we're to be repulsed by the dismissive regard that the bank has for the Davis' court action and the tasteless jokes that Simon's aides make about the family. But these are minor criticisms in what is a surprisingly winning thriller.

The tagline says it all: Public enemy number one - The Bank.
½ November 2, 2008
Opening animation is very cool and well written script.
½ October 25, 2008
A movie with the insight in the future. Todays' bankers did not need a mathematician to initiate their crash. David Wenham and Anthony LaPaglia are a good team.
September 24, 2008
Disappointingly forgettable 'thriller', which despite its two awesome actors in lead roles didn't capture the interest of Raz or I. Perhaps this is why one shouldn't hire films one stumbles across in the video store without having heard much about them previously???
September 22, 2008
Unexpectedly good in so many ways. Good characters, acting, plot, cinematographical quirks such as the intro, and ending. Very nicely done. Watch it.
September 19, 2008
excelent!!!!!!
one of the best movies ive ever seen
½ August 22, 2008
Despite many years of scheming to bring down Centabank, Jim Doyle (David Wenham), a mathematic genius, is able to make a quick move into a relationship and become romantically involved with Michelle Roberts (Sibylla Budd), a colleague he cannot confide in nor trust. There is an inconsistency between the behaviour and the alleged intelligence of the characters portrayed. Roberts, the role, is another example. Moreover, the formula Doyle develops to perfectly predict the stock market also sounds too naive.
June 12, 2008
It was ok.Thriller? Not exactly.
March 27, 2008
Though the script's twists and turns are fairly conventional and the Davis subplot is handled in an awkwardly obvious way, first-time feature filmmaker Robert Connolly understands the power of style.
½ March 25, 2008
Brilliant film, beautifully shot, brilliantly acted and a great nail biting thriller of a script. And when it comes down to it, who doesn't hate banks?
½ March 23, 2008
good for an australian movie?