The Boxer Reviews

• Apr 02, 2019

A Love Punch. The Boxer Sheridan's sport drama isn't sporty at all. There is definitely hard work in here, but all the guns are aimed towards the aspiration of creating a big wallop of emotional drama that swoops in every political satire in this romantic tale. Now, as you can see, this is a culmination of multiple genre and unfortunately only romance soars above all. The reason being, an amazing lead cast, if Daniel Day Lewis is amiable to the tears of Emily Watson, then so is she to his gut wrenching punches. Combining it, they make one good cinematic couple facing and running away from their past. Fortunately, to cover in all the grounds, the film doesn't just focus on their perspective, the supporting characters too consume the screen time for the justification of their deeds. Take Brian Cox for instance, his character that never helms charge in the film up till the last act, may seem like your average set up of a pawn-like stereotypical antagonist with money and power in his hand. Another surprising package that keeps giving us is Emily's nuanced performance that gets in on the ring through practical insertions like a fearful mother and a wife and more importantly an adolescent lover that as a past haunts her. And in the end, it is all for the man himself, Daniel who is there in the ring himself, struggling and resisting his love towards Emily and a dodgy familiar arena that he adores and calls "home". Jim Sheridan, the co-writer and director, is often milking stuff, among this two hour of journey, there is somewhere a good one hour film that needed a better coaching. The Boxer is a hot headed fellow, easily swooned in and boiled up, unfortunately the makers couldn't manipulate it better to make it survive the 12th round.

• Mar 24, 2018

Daniel day lewis was very good in this movie, as was Emily Watson. The story was good, but to me it lacked more depth and the background was not clearly explained. Although the backdrop gave me the feeling of how poor the people in that time were and gave me a sense of how hard the struggle was.

• Jan 17, 2018

Was expecting a bit more from this, but Day-Lewis and Watson do nice work together.

• Jan 10, 2018

Much more of a political thriller based around terrorism than a sports movie the boxer depicts a driven man desperate to do the right thing in an environment that simply won't let him. Day- Lewis is per usual amazing and steers this film from good to great.

• Mar 12, 2017

Tough movie about tough times with an equally tough performances, especially from Lewis. The director almost objectively showed the two sides of the confict which added to the appeal of the film.

• Dec 23, 2015

I had wanted to see this when it first came, but kept putting it off for some reason. I am glad I finally watched it, such a good movie. Daniel Day-Lewis is great as always, and I also enjoyed the performances of Emily Watson and Brian Cox. Apparently Day-Lewis trained in boxing for 3 years in preparation, and he looks physically excellent in it. Check it out!

• Sep 15, 2015

Daniel Day Lewis, Emily Watson, and the great character actor Brian Cox are always reliable when it comes to giving great performances but this movie was just really boring and no match for their talents

• Aug 08, 2015

I am a big Daniel-Day Lewis fan and that being said, this is my least favorite of his movies. I know the critical acclaim is very high, I just wasn't overly impressed. Yes his performance was great, I just thought they could of looked at his background more in this movie. He plays a former IRA member, who after doing a 14 year prison stint, is back in familiar grounds as their is religious conflict in Northern Ireland between Catholic and the Protestants. Day-Lewis who was a pro boxer in his day, gets back in the game and opens up an old gym eventually bringing both religions together in the process. This creates the basis for the movie which is conflict among him trying to live a normal life. His former love interest is sparked and they try to reignite their flame without being seen because she is remarried with her husband now behind bars which is a no no in this setting. I kept trying to figure out if it was a tale of love, perseverance, a changed man, or all of the above. The dots just didn't connect as well as I thought they would. Maybe a second watch would help this. Again any Day-Lewis movie is better than most, but this one just wasn't my favorite. I didn't connect like I thought.

• Jul 27, 2015

A great story and a fantastic cast make a really wonderful movie.

A great story and a fantastic cast make a really wonderful movie.

• May 25, 2015