The Bye Bye Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bye Bye Man Reviews

½ July 22, 2017
Good, but it didn't show the Bye Bye Man's origin. I mean, was he a human? Where did he get the hound? How did he died and became a monster? And how did he get the name "The Bye Bye Man?"
½ July 15, 2017
Yes, it's a terrible movie, but I enjoyed it because of how bad it was. I laughed every time the character's died. I don't know why Carrie-Anne Moss was in this film. She's better than this. But there was one scene I genuinely liked because she was in it. The Bye Bye Man would've been the perfect bad movie if it was at least a little bit scary, with maybe one or two nail-bitingly scary scenes. Nope! The Bye Bye Man is just some dude with a hoodie and scars on his face. The CGI dog looks even worse. The scariest thing the Bye Bye Man did in the film was point. The jump scares were so cheap. The worst one was when he appeared in a window reflection. The first act is a bit slow, but I highly recommend The Bye Bye Man if you enjoy bad movies.
½ July 10, 2017
Seriously I expected more
½ July 7, 2017
With a laughable script, annoying scares, tacky effects, and some of the worst acting I've ever seen, The Bye Bye Man is an absolute mess that's about as boring and unscary as horror movies get. This is an early contender for worst movie of 2017.
½ July 5, 2017
Shades of creepy pasta, but I thoroughly enjoyed it
July 3, 2017
The Bye Bye Man is probably the worst film I have seen this year so far. I mean really I think this movie came out just to make money out of teenagers. It is dull, full of cliches, has bad acting, terrible cgi, and no one knows what The Bye Bye Man is. Don't Say It, Don't Think It? More like Don't See It at all.
½ July 3, 2017
Considering the "horror" movies these days are boring and very predictable with cringe worthy acting to say the least, I was quite surprised that I somewhat enjoyed this flick. The story line is unique which keeps the movie exciting & the acting is actually pretty good compared to the standards I'm so used to seeing nowadays. Could they have delved deeper into where the Bye Bye Man originated from? Yes. Could the ending have had more of a twist? Yeah, sure. But keeping in mind all the crappy horror movies I'm seeing these days I'm going to store this one in the "good" category. Definitely worth a watch.
June 28, 2017
These critics are way to harsh. This movie has great twists and great moments. First good scary and thrilling movie I have seen in awhile. What do these people want in a horror/thriller movie? They executed the movie terrifically and if you are a fan of the Sinister movies than this one is similar in parts. Overall great movie in my opinion don't be so harsh on movies for no reason
June 27, 2017
A truly awful movie. It's unoriginal, poorly made, and so contrived that it's actually frustrating. The only enjoyment I got out of the whole thing was the hilariously terrible acting and some unintentionally funny moments. Other than those two things, I don't recommend this movie at all. It's one of the worst movies of 2017. Let it fester and die.
June 26, 2017
The first thing that should be criticized thoroughly before anything else in this movie is the acting. I've seen bad acting before. This takes it to a whole new level. I actually yelled out at a few points "THIS ACTING! MY GOD!"

Secondly, the writing. This is one of those "tell, don't show" movies. The characters sit around explaining things about the antagonist, rather than have the movie show us. For example, someone goes at great length to mention that saying "The Bye-Bye Man" to anyone "spreads" the evil like a virus. It would have been a lot better if we actually got to see that, rather than listen to someone explaining it. There was way too much talking in general in this movie. It really needed to be cut out.

Third... I have to give this more than one star because of how hilarious this movie was. It was no masterpiece of comedy, because it also bored and frustrated me at various parts. But good lord, when this movie was at the height of badness, it was better than most comedies. In fact, this film would have worked great as a satire if it was billed as one, due to how utterly ridiculous it was.

And what was with the girlfriend getting sick? That went completely nowhere. I thought by the end, she'd be violently ill, vomiting blood, something. None of that happened. It played no part in the plot or in character. What was the point of that?

Overall, it was funny, but not worth another viewing.
June 25, 2017
Bye bye to any plot or action or explanation fo the villain that works.
½ June 25, 2017
Reminded me of Occulus but not as good.
½ June 25, 2017
At least it was interesting
June 24, 2017
A lot of people do not like this movie, however I thought it was a fresh idea to the failing genre that is modern horror.
½ June 22, 2017
Movie didn't show specific parts of the trailers, CGI was poor, some things in the movie didn't line up with previous scenes. But overall, it scared me so it was a good movie in my book.
June 19, 2017
I hate it when someone always has to get run over by a car. Sick
June 19, 2017
not horror, more of a thriller
June 19, 2017
I didn't think it was a bad movie. It wasn't real scary but the concept was interesting.
June 18, 2017
Despite the puerile name given to the titular antagonist, this film does rather well with its venture of horror. Indeed there were moments which lacked in the realm of originality( the convient information found through an internet search, or the character archtype of the wise old individual who survived the antagonist in the past). The film relied upon lesser used means to build tensions. Sure, they used jump scares, but The Bye Bye Man did not rely upon them the way other pieces from this genre so often use. Furthermore, I found the Greek symbolism (relative to death) throughout the film to be refreshing. Given the quality of current horror films coming out of Hollywood, I'd have to say this film is above average.
½ June 17, 2017
Huge plot holes... Horribly written story.. cheaply made film.. maybe with a better director and I little more budget it could have been better.... It had potential