The Comedy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Comedy Reviews

February 11, 2017
It makes you feel bad inside.
October 4, 2016
Wow, It always depresses me when people don't get stuff like this beautiful ittle gem of absurdist art. The hero of this piece reminded me of the main character of Camus The Outsider. Like Meursault, he is unaffected by the mores of society. He floats through life doing whatever he wants.
This film isn't for everyone. There are no jokes, despite the title but ultimately The Comedy is everyday life.
½ April 8, 2016
Dull dull and more dull.
March 22, 2016
Both absurd and profound at the same time. One of the more unique films I've seen in awhile.
December 26, 2015
Awesome Movie Great Job! But seriously. It's sad but Tim & his friends are ridiculous & funny. You don't like his character. But he's hilarious
November 28, 2015
I don't think I got the metaphor or whatever this film was trying to convey. It had a couple moments that were funny but overall it was watching awkwardly as our main character is a spoiled jerk. The scene with the waitress from the restaurant in his boat must have had a deepen meaning. Something about being disconnected from other people or something.
½ November 23, 2015
This mumblecore piece of avant-garde comedic drama is certainly not for everyone's taste but I found strangely compelling to observe (yes, that's the word) the life of this revolting character who is composed by Heidecker (always fantastic) mostly through improvisation.
November 18, 2015
Really just a slog to get through. The type of story has been done to death, and there's very little to hold anyone's interest.
November 2, 2015
great movie with insights that a shallow watcher could easily miss. Tim Heidecker is one of the greatest actors of his generation
September 29, 2015
A portrait of a loser. It's ugly, intriguing and maybe even heartbreaking.
½ September 10, 2015
This movie is different in a good way. Rick Alverson's directing style is unique and the story is presented from an interesting perspective. The film is slow-moving at times. The viewer is left to wonder about the details and back-stories of characters and situations. However, that gives the film a more realistic feel and it felt refreshing to not be force-fed unnatural dialogue. Tim Heidecker's performance as Swanson was excellent. This movie isn't made for the average movie-goer, it isn't meant to be entertaining the full way through, and the main character, Swanson, isn't meant to be liked. This movie is definitely not for everyone. But, I liked this movie a lot because it was different, unique, and interesting. The Comedy showcases Alverson's talent as a director and as a writer.
½ August 27, 2015
A meaty, breathy study of potent convention allergies. A tricky condition, most conventionally reserved for (but not limited to) those who have the spare time. One rampant among hipsters and comedians alike. This particular study, being mainly reserved to one particular sufferer and his attempts to make it to said dangerous ocean's other side. Where, as convention would have it - will his bloated body wash up?
June 25, 2015
When Rick Alverson's film first came out it created reactions from high praise to condemnation. At the time, I was quite perplexed by AO Scott's review. I found a great deal of "interesting perspective" on not only the main character but also the limited views I was offered of his pals. There is no "critical distance" to be found in Alverson's film -- and that is largely the point. The film presents a level of white male entitlement and human cruelty without offering any evaluation or background. With an amazing cast of realistic and effective actors, all we really need to know is passively communicated in the sad eyes and pointless actions. We might not like "Swanson" or any of his friends, but viewers would need to be equally emotionally-stunted, damaged and as casually cruel as these character to not see the tragic darkness displayed. There is nothing "funny" about THE COMEDY. It is an effectively disaffected and provocative character study of disconnection, anger, and sadness that appears to be rendering Swanson and his "friends" into a state of sociopathic cruelty. I don't like labels. They are too easy and a lazy way to "categorize" aspects of both art and life. I'm not sure that it was Alverson's intent to make a sweeping cultural commentary. It doesn't matter. The thing that most struck me back in 2012 and now is the power here is that THE COMEDY is horrifyingly realistic. I know some of these men and the women who always seem to be attracted to them. This is a masterful film from all perspectives.
May 17, 2015
After reading a few of the professional reviews on this site, I watched "The Comedy" more out of curiosity than from any desire to see a great film. I'm glad I did, as I would otherwise have missed out on a unique and beautiful experience. Perhaps because it stars Tim Heidecker and Eric Wareheim, critics and viewers have failed to see the obvious merits of The Comedy - its use of colour and composition, its effective use of close ups, or the deep sadness conveyed by Heidecker throughout all of the apparent mirth - but they are all there, and I think that given enough time, and enough further exposure for director Rick Alverson,
this movie will get the sort of response it deserves.

Or perhaps not. Most of the professional reviews, at any rate, seem more interested in displaying their moral dissatisfaction with Heidecker's character, or in telling us how tortuous the experience of watching such a character was for them personally, than in actually assessing what is presented. It's not, for most reviewers, a question of whether the personalities and tendencies displayed in the film tell us anything useful about human emotion, whether their experiences provide useful insight into quintessentially 21st century character traits, etc. It's enough that they find such characters distasteful, and that they didn't enjoy themselves a great deal.

Great art has never been about likeable or moral characters. Is Bergman's "Autumn Sonata" an easy watch full of lessons learned? Is any one in Straw Dogs particularly likeable?

I'd hate to see what any of these hacks would have said about Ibsen.

The scene when Swanson parts his father's hair is worth all of the restraint that preceded it.
April 27, 2015
Given his deadpan delivery and film school background, perhaps it was inevitable that Tim Heidecker (one half of Tim and Eric) would find himself starring in an arthouse drama, but I don't think anyone could have predicted him being in one as self-deprecating as The Comedy. Rick Alverson's film takes a lurid look at a contemporary subculture in Brooklyn (hipsters if you will), utilizing a slim script that makes use of avant-garde film making, and improv-derived dialogue rather than a plot. The film is obviously trying to be a commentary on continued adolescence and the lack of meaningful communication in today's society, and does so by relying on a virtually plotless narrative. Many viewers will see The Comedy as a listless film focusing on an unlikable character, but it's possible that just as many will find a brutal satire that is by turns both humorous and sad. An enticing breakthrough film for director Rick Alverson, that was certainly one of 2012's most unique films.
April 6, 2015
One of the few films I would categorize as "mesmerizing". I've watched it over and over and find myself getting lost in its slow, relaxed world. Few other films have made me feel that the world I'm watching is truly real.
March 23, 2015
five bags of popcorn & 2 sodas
March 15, 2015
A questionably satirical look into the vapid American subculture of the privileged and sensation-driven, and on impulse society, in general.
½ March 4, 2015
A bleak and painfully awkward view of the world through the eyes of a blissfully ignorant hipster.
½ February 2, 2015
Loved it, weirdly thought provoking