The Comedy Reviews

• Oct 01, 2019

Don't go into this movie thinking you're going to be in for a bunch of laughs. Don't go into it thinking it's anything more than what the cover art of Tim Heidecker's emotionless, dead-eyed stare suggests. It is as dead pan as comedy...let me rephrase that. Its is as dead pan as acting gets..and I think that's the meaning behind it. Tim and Eric, for those who know...annoy the shit out of me, but this movie suits their style perfectly. The rating system on this site is nonsense. I give it 3.5 stars, with a hint of 5 star "so fresh". Ignore the 55% audience score...25% of them are clearly idiots.

• Jul 22, 2019

I feel as though I've met people like Swanson before. The movie feels boring and directionless because Swanson's bored and directionless. Alverson captures this well and I can appreciate that truth about his condition--the people in his shoes. However, the film would be stronger had there been at least one serious consequence for his degeneracy.

• Feb 11, 2017

It makes you feel bad inside.

It makes you feel bad inside.

• Oct 04, 2016

Wow, It always depresses me when people don't get stuff like this beautiful ittle gem of absurdist art. The hero of this piece reminded me of the main character of Camus The Outsider. Like Meursault, he is unaffected by the mores of society. He floats through life doing whatever he wants. This film isn't for everyone. There are no jokes, despite the title but ultimately The Comedy is everyday life.

• Apr 08, 2016

Dull dull and more dull.

Dull dull and more dull.

• Mar 22, 2016

Both absurd and profound at the same time. One of the more unique films I've seen in awhile.

• Nov 28, 2015

I don't think I got the metaphor or whatever this film was trying to convey. It had a couple moments that were funny but overall it was watching awkwardly as our main character is a spoiled jerk. The scene with the waitress from the restaurant in his boat must have had a deepen meaning. Something about being disconnected from other people or something.

• Nov 18, 2015

Really just a slog to get through. The type of story has been done to death, and there's very little to hold anyone's interest.

• Nov 02, 2015

great movie with insights that a shallow watcher could easily miss. Tim Heidecker is one of the greatest actors of his generation

• Sep 10, 2015

This movie is different in a good way. Rick Alverson's directing style is unique and the story is presented from an interesting perspective. The film is slow-moving at times. The viewer is left to wonder about the details and back-stories of characters and situations. However, that gives the film a more realistic feel and it felt refreshing to not be force-fed unnatural dialogue. Tim Heidecker's performance as Swanson was excellent. This movie isn't made for the average movie-goer, it isn't meant to be entertaining the full way through, and the main character, Swanson, isn't meant to be liked. This movie is definitely not for everyone. But, I liked this movie a lot because it was different, unique, and interesting. The Comedy showcases Alverson's talent as a director and as a writer.