The Conformist Reviews

• Nov 27, 2020

The Conformist is a biting political satire that operates through character study rather than overt action. Where Schindler's List focused on an antagonist that was capable of tremendous cruelty by virtue of simply being unempathetic and blood-chillingly evil, Bertolucci instead lampoons the weaknesses that allow terrible actions to be perpetrated rather than the activist outliers that make the speeches and agitate the masses. Trintignant's Marcello is fundamentally weak, drawn to his fascist position not by some misguided sense of benefit in order, but to quash his own past that he feels deeply ashamed of. The clarity of the images themselves is shocking given the production period, and the cinematography matches for creativity and artistry - Vincent Storaro creates an incredible piece of film that engages visually as much as it does narratively. My only complaint is the bizarre romantic attachment between Marcello and Sanda's Anna (as well as between Anna and Giulia), which seems rather out of place and unjustified. (4.5/5)

• Sep 12, 2020

The first 30 minutes feel like trying to power on a car but without success, situations start happening characters appears without any explanation. You will have a hard time if you didn't read the synopsis first. When the movie gets the rhythm right the story is very interesting, main characters has many layers and historical context is important to plot and characters development. There are some beautiful shots but also a mixed used of shots that feel pretentious and don't serve the movie any real purpose. The movie major interesting aspect is its relation with how much fascism impacted Italian filmmakers in the next 40 years prior to the end of WW2. I will probably come again to this movie later in life, a movie that could grow on you.

• Jul 17, 2020

This is one of the ten best films in history of cinematography. The story is great and the way Bertolucci tells the narrative was groundbraking. The actors are great and the way its filmed is beatifull. I've seen it a dozen times and never get tired.

• May 15, 2020

Beautiful cinematography and very good atmosphere - the soundtrack was wonderful.

• Apr 23, 2020

The Conformist Pros: OK Acting Competent Directing Outstanding Cinematography Great Editing Strong Set and Costume Design Good Musical Score Cons: Hollow Plot that feels padded in terms of structure Mediocre Screenplay Weak Pacing Unbearably Dull Characters Overall Grade: C+ (6/10)

• Dec 04, 2019

IMDB states that it has a pure 100 metascore. That's pretty rear and a good sign. I have seen a coulpe of Bernardo Bertolucci movies, but not many. This is known to be one og his best and one of the best films of the early 70's. A weak-willed Italian turns fascist and deals with his life with few true moments of happiness. Everyting is a lie and he destroys every possible friendship - just to get by, in a way. It looks splendid. The camerawork, the positioning og characters, the colors, the light, the movement. It's a pretty watch. The story is for me a bit too soft and political. There's not much else than this man dealing with a few girls and getting into some violence. There's a few rememorable scenes and most scenes are strong. OK character build up and an overall, smooth vibe, but it's not enough for me to give it a near perfect score. The non perfect re-added lip synching kills bits of the vibe. At times surreal but I still found it a pretty safe film. Not poor, by all means - the looks and presentation are magnificent. I guess the theme is not for me, and it has not aged that well - at least for someone that does not know a whole lot of the backround story. 7 out of 10 cars in the forrest.

• May 28, 2019

a gift to the film lovers, thats all to say. the more i talk about it the less it would seem. undoubtedly the best film to exist in human history

• Apr 30, 2019

Lindamente filmado, incrivelmente perspicaz, muitas vezes chato,um filme que parece frio e duro mesmo quando o ambiente à (C) atraente.

• Jan 28, 2019

With its dreamlike scenes and moods "Il Conformista" is definitely something worth seeing. The film is a different take, a different view on fascism. How do you bland in with horror? Only a dream can find the answer to that apparently. Unfortunately I also have to add that wasn't really entertaining, and for me not among Bertolucci's bests creations.

• Jan 09, 2019

The Conformist is a smart political drama that is boosted by its incredible cinematography and stylish color scheme.