Reviews

• Apr 20, 2021

A remarkable documentary is fully realized in what one may call the Varda touch: an otherwise unnoticed aspect of everyday human life gets a full and very personal inspection and reveals so much more about those depicted, Varda herself and humanity.

• Mar 03, 2021

Classic Agnes Varda, the movie has the director looking at the gleaners and the gleaned; the pickers and the picked; the bin rummagers and what they rummage for. The results are beautiful (like all Varda works), fascinating, and something like cinematic journalism. So it's just what a good doc should be. Among all the people who do this out of basic necessity in rural areas, those who do it for collecting or to reuse materials, to those picking through the refuse of the city, Varda speaks with your typical person to the degreed. Why are these people in this position? Just how much of this is people just trying to cut down waste or take some practical approach and how much of it is people just trying to survive? Both/All answers will say something about France and its people. Good stuff, it is. 3.4 stars

• Carlos M Super Reviewer
    Sep 14, 2018

Agnès Varda is a filmmaker who is always fascinated by the tiniest things she encounters, and it is just as fascinating for us to see what a comprehensive documentary this is, full of details about the gleaners and also herself, and yet perfectly-edited together into a beautiful whole.

• Sep 14, 2015

A simple but effective way of showing why people do what they do.

A simple but effective way of showing why people do what they do.

• Apr 19, 2015

De una sencillez maravillosa!

De una sencillez maravillosa!

• Mar 31, 2014

This was an absolutely insightful documentary on a subject I knew pretty much nothing about. It combines articulate documentary storytelling, thoughts on economics and the way we treat one another, not to mention personal connections with director Agnes Varda's own life and experiences. This is the sort of documentary I hope to one day make. Seek it out, you will definitely get something out of it!

• Sep 11, 2013

Liked this way more than I was expecting to (the idea of a famous New Wave director indulging in the struggles of poverty doesn't really sit well with me). Funny and layered and unpretentious in ways most expose documentaries daren't be. I'm gonna check out more Varda.

• Apr 14, 2013

I want my $8 back, and not the $8 it cost me to see the movie as that was free. Instead I want $8 back for the free mobile data used to write this review. This movie was so bad that it took my free mobile data and charged me for it. The only thing that could have saved this movie is if it were called snakes on a plane and starred Samuel L Jackson. Dammit, that just reminded me how much I love snakes on a plane... And hot tub time machine.

• Nov 23, 2012

Wild and wacky. Recommended by Ian Bain, thanks Ian. This is kind of a documentary and also an auteur art film. Agnes Varda is wonderful. The fabric of image and story and social history is expertly woven. A good 'un.

• Jun 21, 2012

glean is to pick as stalagmite is to stalactite.

glean is to pick as stalagmite is to stalactite.