The In-Laws - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The In-Laws Reviews

November 7, 2016
Alan Arkin makes the perfect sap of a foil to Peter Falk's is-he-or-isn't-he a CIA agent.
September 23, 2016
This was really funny. I quite like both Falk and Arkin and they're at their best here. The film is original and clever. There are some great smaller roles as well, Richard Libertini("Fletch", James Hong and Ed Begley Jr. I was surprised, yet glad that Criterion Collection released this because it looked great. Seek it out!
½ January 1, 2016
Very funny, even if the comedy's a bit dated and the story is a bit predictable. Peter falk is especially hilarious, and the chemistry is strong.
½ June 27, 2015
On of the best comedies ever! Lots of just simple plain old fun
March 22, 2015
another buddy chase pic like those made by gene Wilder & Richard Pryor think 'silver streak'
½ May 1, 2014
The back and forth between Arkin and Falk is really quite funny
February 16, 2014
"Serpentine, Sheldon, Serpentine!" Words to live by. One of my favorites, and not just because Peter Falk is channeling my father
½ February 15, 2014
Nutty film with a mix of comedy and adventure. Quirky and humourous. 7.5/10
½ December 18, 2013
Dated but still funny, Alan Arkin and Peter Falk r great together.
September 17, 2013
Not bad but i had more expectations
August 10, 2013
Fabolously hilarious, inteligent and masterfuly made "The In-Laws" is the perfect comedy.
½ July 4, 2013
Peter Falk and Alan Arkin are the greatest movie comedy team since The Odd Couple. Brilliant comedic timing by Arkin as Dr. Kornpett. Falk brings his dry but hysterical humor to this film. If you love great family comedy, this is the film for you.
½ March 30, 2013
Fantastic. I just love this original. Great performances by Alan Arkin and Peter Falk and the superbly hilarious Richard Libertini. "Serpentine Shell, serpentine."
January 30, 2013
One of the greatest comedies of all-time with 2 career-high performances. Absolute must see. So great in fact, that it would be a travesty if a re-make was ever foolishly made to risk desecrating the very name of this masterwork. Just remember though, run-down Tihatan hotel lobbies only have 'Hustler' in spanish, there's enormous red tape in the bush, and the key to the benefit program if you ever decide to apply to be in the C.I.A. is that you don't get yourself killed. A+
November 11, 2012
One of my favorites.
October 30, 2012
Gets a lil to slap-stick sometimes.
½ October 26, 2012
The chemistry between Alan Arkin and Peter Falk makes this already great film that much better. Hilarious.
September 16, 2012
I love this movie, Falk and Arkin have great chemistry together and this movie has a hilarious premise and quotable lines.
June 4, 2012
Falk and Arkin make splendid comedy team--Though at times it drags a bi!!
May 24, 2012
The 2003 remake sucks compared to the original. Falk and Arkin are hysterical in this well written, diected, and acted comedy. It is a character build. Total lunacy, Falk's best comedy movie. "Serpentine" and "Are you dead? ....Good" during the same scene bust me up laughing everty time. Falk is so annoying and crazy he's lovable while Arkin represents us, everyman, reacting to every strange and dnagerous thing. "Oh My God, oh my god!" "Wait! I'm not him, I'm a dentist! Wanna see my card?" and Falk's nonchalant demeanor while in big trouble. this is a great movie where technology not invented yet does not get in the way of superior acting for the purpose of making people laugh. the idiots who did the 2003 re-make have no clue what real comedy is, they spent too much time on the wedding and the characters do not have likeable qualities. I read where Arkin and Falk had a ball making this movie together and it shows. "Oh, one morething." these movies were meant to be seen in the theater back in 1979, and it is more effective on a big screen at least, there is visual humor and facial expressions you can miss. and for thoise who don;t get broad comedy like this, you won't like it. you probably yelled outloud in the theater "I'm sure, no way" when ET flew on the bicylcle too.