The Purge: Election Year Reviews

• Dec 12, 2020

So pointless it doesn't even get funny. Thanks for fast forward.

So pointless it doesn't even get funny. Thanks for fast forward.

• Oct 27, 2020

This was another example of the director seemingly responding to the criticism of the prior movie, in this case focusing entirely on the much more interesting political aspects of the Purge and beefing up Grillo's supporting cast so that they weren't useless. This time the plot devices and dialogue ideas seemed to run thin as they delved into racial stereotypes for everything from subplots to escape mechanisms and even made their conscious decision to avoid the N-word be blatantly obvious. That said, the scores by Whitehead are improving with each sequel and the character development afforded to the cast was excellent this time. They retained the aesthetic of Anarchy but made it more subtle, a change I didn't necessarily love. This was a good movie because of its actual plot rather than any individual scene.

• Oct 25, 2020

The third in the trilogy is personally my favourite, it's nice to see the side of the story where sane people are trying to stop this madness. We kind of got that with the end of the sequel where the rebel forces came in...but the 3rd movie really expands upon that, and brings policy along with it.

• Oct 17, 2020

I agree with the political and social commentary. But I am more interested in the concept rather than actually watching most of these movies. And the middle act of this film was decent but the last act was ridiculous. I'm glad they displayed religion's role in the upper class purging the lower class. That's important to note because if this ever did happen, you can be damn sure the wealthy and upper middle class people would all hide behind their religion and assure everyone it's what their Jesus would want or whatever.

• Sep 25, 2020

I hope this year's election doesn't end up being as bad as this movie. What started as an interesting concept (I.e. the first Purge movie) has regressed to the point that I thought I was watching an episode of South Park at times. A lot of unintentional comedy going on in this one, which is unfortunate when you think you're making a movie that is presented as a statement on social justice.

• Sep 23, 2020

Badly-acted presidential candidate needs to be protected on purge night so she can win the election and then, abolish the purge.

• Sep 07, 2020

This is probably my least favorite Purge film, I do like the 2040 near future setting, Elizabeth Mitchell as Roan is good casting choice, action is plentiful just like the previous film however I found myself bored very often with this one as it has by far the worst hard to follow plotline out of the 4 films. It's a Purge flick though, so if you like the other movies you're bound to enjoy this one.

• Aug 22, 2020

Frank grillo once again does a outstanding performance with likable and funny characters

• Jul 29, 2020

Always loved The Purge and election was a nice twist. Could be wildly improved though.

• Jul 07, 2020

Not a big fan of bringing politics into movies. Regardless of the situation.

Not a big fan of bringing politics into movies. Regardless of the situation.