The Toy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Toy Reviews

½ November 29, 2017
Dumb toy movie and an ok story.
November 20, 2017
One of the best films I've seen for Richard Prior.
June 21, 2017
Clearly, heavy-handed social commentary, cheesy slapstick and kiddie comedy aren't the most compatible of components to shoehorn into one movie.
December 25, 2016
An all time classic. F the critics!
October 9, 2016
A little too sweet and cliche, but there's some good gags in here.
August 31, 2016
I loved this when I was a kids
March 20, 2016
3/15/2016: Ok at best. There were a few funny moments, but not many.
February 18, 2016
I gotta admit that I did laugh out loud during this, so it can't be as bad as everybody else says, not in my book anyway. It's hard not to laugh at Richard Prior, who was a comedy genius though. In this film he is subcontracted to keep a rich kid amused. It does get a bit soppy at the end, but only a tad.
December 27, 2015
I love Richard Pryor !
½ October 6, 2015
More like a kids movie than a comedy, although the pairing of Gleeson and Pryor provides some decent moments... but not enough.
September 5, 2015
11%? You have got to be kidding me! All of the critic's reviews of this movie are from 20 years after it was actually released. No this movie is not PC. No it could not be produced in 2015. This movie is a product of its time but yet is timeless. Eddie Murphy killed it! This movie tackles all the tough subjects of life, love, friendship, racism, bigotry, class-ism. This movie was one of the top grossing movie in 1982. 11% is just a very bad version of revisionist history. Jackie is a rich WASP S.O.B. who ignores his kid. The kid is screwed up in all of his relationships as a result. He asks daddy to buy Jack Brown as his Toy and grows to realize that what he really needs is a friend and that friendship is priceless. If Trading Places got 88% this one deserves at least that much.
½ June 12, 2015
Richard Pryor's performance only carries this dull, unfunny comedy so far.
April 19, 2015
WOW......WOW.....WOW.....SO SO SO SO SO BAD......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH.......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS IT IS THAT BAD.....JUST DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE IT IS SO AWFUL.......ITS GOT A GOOD SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.....BUT MAN THIS MOVIE IS SO SO SO AWFUL 2 WATCH....
½ September 9, 2014
Something You Could Only Get Away With In The 80s As It The Plot Is So Weak Nowa-days Due To Workers Rights & Most Of The Stuff In This Would Be Just Plain Illegal To Do To Your Employee's!!! Ahh..God Bless The 80s.
½ October 18, 2013
Funny, but, not funny enough.
June 9, 2013
The Toy is a disappointing film. It is about an underemployed journalist who finds himself literally purchased as a toy for a rich spoiled brat. Richard Pryor and Jackie Gleason give horrible performances. The screenplay is badly written. Richard Donner did a terrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
½ May 28, 2013
Really enjoyable but the movie runs out of fun. Pryor REALLY tries his best in the film.
½ May 5, 2013
This film is so wrong, just wrong on every level imaginable. The Toy not only makes any sense what so ever, but is so uncomfortable to watch. The film basically tried to make slavery in a positive light, I guess that's what they were going for, but that is just so awful it fails. There is also a lot of sexual references and most of them are so blunt, the kids name is Eric "Master" Bates for fucks sakes. The story is awful for every reason, the writing is terrible, the acting is bad, and the direction is even worse. The majority of the film is creepy and has unneeded amounts of pedophilia. The Toy is really bad, yet needs to be seen to be believed, no amount of going into detail about the plot makes up for seeing this disaster.
March 7, 2013
It's hard enough to fail with Pryor, but toss in Gleason and you have a pretty fun rags vs riches story. It touches on race, social matters and packs quite a bit of heart... not moving it to the favs list, but worthy of a view.