Under the Silver Lake Reviews

• 2d ago

I actually loved the movie. I cannot understand about the people complaining for the 'pointless plot'. No, the plot is not pointless (apart from the 'open ending': there I can concede that there is a bit of pointlessness going on) and it is not even that difficult to follow. It's a mesmerising and super clever movie, in my opinion.

• Sep 12, 2019

Beautifully shot, but a bunch of nonsense.

Beautifully shot, but a bunch of nonsense.

• Sep 05, 2019

After watching it my reaction is "what?"

After watching it my reaction is "what?"

• Aug 27, 2019

As Southland Tales was to Donnie Darko this is to It Follows. Complete and utter derivative garbage.

• Aug 26, 2019

Awful and unwatchable. The writer and director thought he made something of art but in reality it was made mostly of trash.

• Aug 15, 2019

It's rare to see a film like this, real surrealism shot beautifully. I haven't experienced anything like it since Twin Peaks.

• Aug 14, 2019

An excellent example of meta-breaking cinema, Under The Silver Lake tells a simple story in a very unique way. It seems many people are turned off by the movies abstract and passive method of telling a story of failure and the price of success in LA (especially for females), but, if you are able to handle not having a coherent plot thrust upon you like so many movies do, you may enjoy this gem as much as I did.

Alec B Super Reviewer
    Aug 13, 2019

The movie has flavors of Lynch and Hitchcock but ultimately this is a different beast. Yes the main character (Garfield, giving a fantastic performance) is unstable, insufferable and a misogynist. Yes the labyrinthine plot is goes nowhere. That is the point. There's no mystery to unravel here, and I like that. Its unsubtle criticism of the audience, but it is effective.

• Aug 12, 2019

Unique and worth your time.

Unique and worth your time.

• Aug 11, 2019

A male wet dream romp with no point, a weak story, and lots of pretty people.

A male wet dream romp with no point, a weak story, and lots of pretty people.