The Valiant Ones Reviews

• Jun 14, 2011

An entertaining movie that comes with an engaging (though exaggerated) storyline and awesome fight choreography. LoL kinda hilarious to see Samo Hung with that white face though XD

• Aug 23, 2009

King Hu's 6th feature. It portrays the fight between the group of sword fighters hired by the government and Chinese and Japanese pirates in the 13th century China. One of the films made when King Hu's in the prime of time, and there is not much to criticize. It is a very mature and light, in a good meaning, film. You can see familiar faces in other King Hu's films like Roy Chiao and Hsu Feng, and some talented young action actors (at that time) like Sammo Hung and Biao Yuen. Action scenes mainly placed in the real forest are dynamic and speedy and elaborate. Editing which is very concise and quick establishes an original tempo that makes you feel as if you are watching a good play or cartoon. Use of Beijing Opera music is terrific as usual. What makes this film original among all the works by King Hu is definitely the shocking ending - it is surprising at first, but I think it's good because it describes the sense of mortality.

• Nov 11, 2007

This is one of King Hu's best films, with his distinctive editing to the fore. His fight staging is great, and his storytelling was rarely better. Some questionable racial stereotypes mar the film, but overall a true classic wuxia. The highpoint is the sequence where our heroes outline a battle plan with a Go board, and the fatalistic ending.

• May 05, 2007

Last night I watched an old film called [size=4]The Valient Ones[/size], a masterpiece directed by King Hu. I really liked the movie, the feeling is very different, it is a classic chilvalry story, but the fight choreography had a bit more intensity. The martial arts choreographer is a person called Zhu Yuanlong. You guys know who he is? If you guys don't know, let me tell you he is Sammo Hung!! (Sammo was called "Yuan Long" back in the Opera school days) The movie has many people i know, Simon Yuen, Han Ying Chie, Yuen Hwa, Yuen Biao, Mars, Yuan Kwai, etc... Some say Jackie Chan is in it, but I did not see him. Sammo has a great part as a japanese pirate. He is a fierce bad guy£¡ Now, I will watch the new version, called [size=4]The New Valiant Ones[/size] ;) [img]http://www.alivenotdead.com/attachments/2007/05/23318_200705060141071.jpg[/img] now, off to wushu and then fast accross the bay to watch de la hoya fight! yes! the real valiant one!