The Waterboy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Waterboy Reviews

jamrcla
½ July 30, 2017
Loved it, Really funny just Adam Sandler's acting was so silly it ruined it at times, I know that's what he was going for but it gets old fast.
July 5, 2017
A very mediocre movie. Adam Sandler is trash in this role, even though no one else could have played him. Not a great underdog film.
½ May 24, 2017
Redneck stereotypes, that is one running gag throughout this entire movie! It's also f$%|# up to have an old fart holding his nipple rings in the films climax! Not as funny as I remembered it to be!
½ May 4, 2017
Adam Sandler serves up some high quality H2O! It's idiotic, but hilarious. (First viewing - Early 1999 in theaters)
April 27, 2017
I did not have an account of Rotten Tomatoes, until I happened upon "The Waterboy" page and saw it had a 35 out of 100? Are you kidding me? Easily one of the best comedies of that 5 year block. It's one of those comedies you can watch twice in a month, every month, and still laugh. Such a quotable movie.
April 22, 2017
Featuring possibly Adam Sandler's most annoying character, The Waterboy is a movie devoid of the laughs it tries to gain from its overused gags and stupidity.
April 5, 2017
Bobby Boucher is 31, lives at home with his mother and is the waterboy for the University of Louisiana Cougars. One day he is fired and ends up being the waterboy for a down-and-out college team, the South Central Louisiana State University Mud Dogs. During an incident in training, Bobby demonstrates himself to be a ferocious tackler, and he is picked for the team's defense. Thanks to him, the Mud Dogs' fortunes soar. However, his mother doesn't approve of him playing football...

Silly but entertaining. Started quite weakly, largely using Bobby's disabilities to score cheap laughs. The whole Louisiana inbred/hick thing was laid on pretty thick and got quite tiresome, quite quickly. However, as the movie progresses it gains momentum, shakes off the cheap laughs and becomes reasonably entertaining.

Not that it doesn't still have its silly moments towards the end, but these become few and further between.

Overall: not a must-see, but if you're looking for something mindlessly entertaining, this isn't so bad.
March 13, 2017
I can't believe this movie actually holds up, but it does. It's stupid, obviously, but it doesn't take itself too seriously, and the humor is just sophomoric enough to yield chuckles, but not too stupid to ruin the movie.
½ December 6, 2016
I just wanted it to shut up.
December 5, 2016
a classic one of my fav comedies of all time Sandler at his best
November 4, 2016
This movie was actually pretty cute, I enjoyed it :)
November 2, 2016
10/30/2016: Pretty damn funny. A bunch of memorable one liners throughout this film.
October 25, 2016
From high quality H2O to star player, Adam Sandler's The Waterboy is an inspiration to waterboys across the nation. Starring Adam Sandler, Jerry Reed, Fairuza Balk, Kathy Bates, and Henry Winkler. Raised by his overprotective mother, Helen, Bobby Boucher is the waterboy for a successful college football team coached by Red Beaulieu. When Beaulieu fires Bobby, he becomes the waterboy for a losing rival team, led by the desperate Coach Klein. After watching Bobby beat up a player who teased him too much, Klein adds him to the roster as a linebacker. Soon, Klein's players are a championship team.
October 9, 2016
Not Adam Sandler's best movie, but before he slipped into awful territory. Plenty of good jokes, and the physical humour is on point. Sandler is at his best when angry.
Watched on Netflix with Sam at her house, October 9, 2016.
August 3, 2016
My favorite comedy movie if all time... I love it!
July 18, 2016
Slow dim-witted Waterboy becomes a football college star in this dumb comedy.
½ July 13, 2016
Not for the first time, Adam Sandler brings out a few moments of utter hilarity, but his crude style of humor eventually drags and grows tired.
June 14, 2016
It's so stupid, it's hilarious.
June 14, 2016
my all time favorite comedy